• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine cutlery, EDC, and pocket jewelry": Here we post reviews, recommendations, tips about and appreciation of.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That video is nuts. A guy with a knife would get his ass kicked by a cougar though if the cat wanted to fight. I wouldn’t consider a knife bear protection either. I backpack in black bear country all the time with no deterrent. Grizzly country means bear spray (or a gun I guess). I don’t consider knives to be proper critter protection.
Oh, I know. I was just responding to the picture posted lol about my trips throughout the years. That said, I know someone whom legit killed a cougar with his knife. I'll see if I can find the news report,

I carry bearspray, hang up a bearbox in the opposite direction of out exit routes, etc... but the real defense is luck and no food or toothpaste in the tent for *any* reason. Some guys I know carry sidearms, one of the few times I think it's 100% jusitfied.

Knives are for cutting kindling feathersticking for fires, etc... I also carruy the little Benchmade branded Worksharp field sharpener, which has better grit plates for my modern steel knives.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don’t carry bear spray for black bears, no.

I don’t live in bear country, but was under the impression bear spray can be effective for black bears too.

You’re far more likely to run into a snake around here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t live in bear country, but was under the impression bear spray can be effective for black bears too.

You’re far more likely to run into a snake around here.

It would work for black bears, but the chances of being attacked by a black bear are supremely low unless you’re stupid with your food in camp. If you run into one on the trail it’s usually enough to just yell at it and it’ll run off. I’m more scared of ticks than black bears

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would work for black bears, but the chances of being attacked by a black bear are supremely low unless you’re stupid with your food in camp. If you run into one on the trail it’s usually enough to just yell at it and it’ll run off. I’m more scared of ticks than black bears
I'm paranoid of ticks. Honestly, the great outdoors makes me appreciate the great indoors,

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A positive development on that part, recently they approached all the hunters in this country for a Lyme disease vaccine. They wanted to test it with people who get bit at least a few times a year. Luckily my neck of the woods is relatively tick free, so no need for that.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Griffin, a Canadian company, makes some interesting modern fixed blades that are sized for EDC, but seem to be being out to folders. I find 3” a great blade length for me and meets most blade length limits. I’ll probably pick this up on preorder:
Really liking the natural micarta inlay, especially on the lock side, and I’ll probably get the satin blade. Love that wide drop point as well. Just an altogether nice, non aggressive, modern but not futuristic, look.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@LA Guy this seems up your alley.

Ah, good old Metal Complex. I like the guy. He has the most extra knives, and his personality fits the knives he reviews. And yes, I’m on the list to get a Maverick.

konstantis

Reaction score
Does anyone have any contact informations of the Belgian knifemaker Eric Parmentier ? Thanks.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any contact informations of the Belgian knifemaker Eric Parmentier ? Thanks.
Doubtful that he has any social media channels. Old school makers like that, and Europeans in particular, tend to be charmingly, but also frustratingly, offline.

konstantis

Reaction score
Doubtful that he has any social media channels. Old school makers like that, and Europeans in particular, tend to be charmingly, but also frustratingly, offline.
Have you seen any of his knives?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you seen any of his knives?
I have not, just by reputation. Surprisingly few European custom knives make it across the ocean, and the opposite is also true.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today:
E7327520-3877-4ACD-A9F3-8BB33DB2D8B3.jpeg

Good Art and Styleforum wristband prototypes, limited edition Benchmade Bugout in titanium and Ladder Damasteel, Laulima metal works Hoku flashlight, Tinker SAK with Daily Customs titanium scale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads