• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine cutlery, EDC, and pocket jewelry": Here we post reviews, recommendations, tips about and appreciation of.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This looks interesting

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This looks interesting

This looks interesting

Oh yeah. Kunwu is apparently a great value.

I have this preordered:

That is the lowest priced titanuium scaled barlock knife that I've ever seen.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Kunwu is apparently a great value.

I have this preordered:

That is the lowest priced titanuium scaled barlock knife that I've ever seen.

Only 1.5 oz. This would be a sweet little backpacking knife.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you one of those ultralight hikers? I wish that I had been. Hiking would have been much more enjoyable. But no, instead, I was packing out 50 lbs backpacks, like an idiot, for 2 weeks at a time, and had full sized fixed blades in my rig.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you one of those ultralight hikers? I wish that I had been. Hiking would have been much more enjoyable. But no, instead, I was packing out 50 lbs backpacks, like an idiot, for 2 weeks at a time, and had full sized fixed blades in my rig.

I’ve gone back and forth over the years. There was a time when I really prioritized going light. But now I have added back some weight in exchange for convenience (more efficient but heavier stove system for example). Right now my base weight is 15-17 pounds for a normal 3 season trip. Closer to 20 if I’m fishing too.

When I’m out, I prefer not to spend much time in camp…I either hike all day or fish usually. So I don’t need many conveniences. I have gone with fixed blades before but I almost never need them (no bushcraft for me). But I don’t feel comfortable with no knife or just a razor blade like the real hardcore ultralight folks. I also really prefer a clip, as I’ve lost numerous knives just falling out of my pockets on trips.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve gone back and forth over the years. There was a time when I really prioritized going light. But now I have added back some weight in exchange for convenience (more efficient but heavier stove system for example). Right now my base weight is 15-17 pounds for a normal 3 season trip. Closer to 20 if I’m fishing too.

When I’m out, I prefer not to spend much time in camp…I either hike all day or fish usually. So I don’t need many conveniences. I have gone with fixed blades before but I almost never need them (no bushcraft for me). But I don’t feel comfortable with no knife or just a razor blade like the real hardcore ultralight folks. I also really prefer a clip, as I’ve lost numerous knives just falling out of my pockets on trips.
I have at least two knives with me when I hike - a folder and a fixed blade, and sometimes a smaller fixed blade. I just feel uncomfortable without a backup. I don’t know how the ultralight people do it. I would feel naked and uneasy.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Three knives? This must be how Fok envisions his hiking trips.

B593C8FA-22F5-41AC-9B93-7927C1E51C56.gif

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have at least two knives with me when I hike - a folder and a fixed blade, and sometimes a smaller fixed blade. I just feel uncomfortable without a backup. I don’t know how the ultralight people do it. I would feel naked and uneasy.

But don’t you also have two knives when you go get groceries? It’s a lot easier mentally for people who don’t carry a knife at all.

I would be more likely to take more if I knew I was going to be off trail. Or if I knew I might need (not want) a fire.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I like this one a lot. Looks like it would also make the perfect knife to toss in a thin briefcase without adding much weight.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a killer little knife. I might have to pick that one up.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three knives? This must be how Fok envisions his hiking trips.

View attachment 1884233

A guy I know who is in the knife industry - used to be at Benchmade, iirc,and now with WEE/Civivi. I've had bear encounters in the Big Sur area.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A guy I know who is in the knife industry - used to be at Benchmade, iirc,and now with WEE/Civivi. I've had bear encounters in the Big Sur area.

That video is nuts. A guy with a knife would get his ass kicked by a cougar though if the cat wanted to fight. I wouldn’t consider a knife bear protection either. I backpack in black bear country all the time with no deterrent. Grizzly country means bear spray (or a gun I guess). I don’t consider knives to be proper critter protection.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That video is nuts. A guy with a knife would get his ass kicked by a cougar though if the cat wanted to fight. I wouldn’t consider a knife bear protection either. I backpack in black bear country all the time with no deterrent. Grizzly country means bear spray (or a gun I guess). I don’t consider knives to be proper critter protection.

When you say no detergent do you mean you don’t even carry bear spray?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But don’t you also have two knives when you go get groceries? It’s a lot easier mentally for people who don’t carry a knife at all.

I would be more likely to take more if I knew I was going to be off trail. Or if I knew I might need (not want) a fire.
I always have a knife in pocket, but always something small that fits my 5fifth pocket, and a SAK witb screw drivers for glasses and tightening random things.

The only times I've carried a fixed blade for non-loose thread and apple cutting reasons is when I worked with a guy in LA doing repo work in tough neighborhoods and the in the early pandemic, when militias were walking around here, when I wore a short skeletonized fixed blade with an excelent finger guard with a static cord in-waist-band:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads