• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just resigned

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
plaintiff or defense work? Hopefully the former, and hopefully cha-ching.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
O jesus I hope it's not what I said to you in the thread yesterday about hating your job.

Are you going to be fine?

Haha, no - that was more of a joke (the thing about walking around and pretending to work) than anything else. I just saw your post in that thread - hadn't even read it before just now.

Actually, I've been planning to leave for a while now (posted about it in a thread about fasting a few weeks ago) and this was just the right time to do it. I've put a lot of thought into this and have a good business plan prepared, so I'll be fine. Always have been.

Originally Posted by teddieriley
plaintiff or defense work? Hopefully the former, and hopefully cha-ching.

Until now I've done mostly defense work, but when I go out on my own I suspect I will be doing more plaintiff work in the PI context. I also want to represent small/medium sized businesses in litigation matters, and that could be plaintiff or defense. Hopefully I will land that one killer PI case (no pun intended) that will fill the coffers with sweet booty.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Haha, no - that was more of a joke (the thing about walking around and pretending to work) than anything else. I just saw your post in that thread - hadn't even read it before just now.

Actually, I've been planning to leave for a while now (posted about it in a thread about fasting a few weeks ago) and this was just the right time to do it. I've put a lot of thought into this and have a good business plan prepared, so I'll be fine. Always have been.

Good for you my man, I'm always supportive of people who want to strike it out on their own and to do something that makes their entire life more enjoyable.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Good look to you. I've seen what it took out of my friend to build a practice, but now that he's over the hump, he's golden. Hope it works out the same for you.

Tardek

Reaction score
I read your comment a few days ago about resigning and was wondering if it was going to happen or was, as they say in the biz, 'a mere puff'.

Congratulations for making the dive. My father always used to say that you can never amass real wealth working for another person - to qualify that, it certainly seems to be true about being a lawyer. It does take bravery to do something like that in this market, because most people will be hanging onto their jobs for real life. It's also good to know that your firm values you enough to let you stay on for a month without wondering if you're going to be stealing clients.

Sadly I must wait 6 months to resign from my own job
frown.gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best of luck Odoreater! Good move. If you're going to work hard anyways, why not do it for yourself rather than let others reap the rewards?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good luck OE. Working for yourself is great. Hopefully you'll be able to kill something big. I suspect that I may do the same thing myself one day. Your timing for leaving a good job seems a little off though. Aren't you kinda worried that it will be hard to find work with the recession?

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome, congrats. I always love seeing people doing what they want, instead of what they think they want.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - I appreciate it.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best of luck with stepping out as a solo. I actually read a great blog post a few days ago about how to start a solo practice but I can't find it now. The only thing I remember was printing business cards on a printer, and always having them on you.

I've also read that some solos only rent an office and conference room when they have to meet a client, and otherwise work from home, show up in court, go to real estate closings, etc. Depending on the size of your city you may not be able to rent office space by the hour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads