1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I just killed two little cockroaches

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Nov 24, 2009.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

One....interesting....thing you can do is fill a pan with beer (I know it will pain you to waste the alcohol, but bear with me). The roaches love beer and will swarm it and quickly die as the beer poisons them. There are few things more disgusting than a pan full of warm beer, roach feces, and dead roaches, however.

2. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

One....interesting....thing you can do is fill a pan with beer (I know it will pain you to waste the alcohol, but bear with me). The roaches love beer and will swarm it and quickly die as the beer poisons them. There are few things more disgusting than a pan full of warm beer, roach feces, and dead roaches, however.

I'm not sure if the clean up is worth the 20 to 30 roaches you'd kill that way.

No one has referrenced "Joe's Apartment" yet have they?

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Those palmetto bugs (which I think are the same as what I call "water bugs") aren't the same kind of flith-dwelling garbage monsters that you hate. They are outside creatures that live underground but occasionally find their way inside. Once again, they are commonly caught in the cruel grasp of the common housecat until their dessicated corpses are found under the couch by the homeowner.

4. FLMountainMan

Those palmetto bugs (which I think are the same as what I call "water bugs") aren't the same kind of flith-dwelling garbage monsters that you hate. They are outside creatures that live underground but occasionally find their way inside. Once again, they are commonly caught in the cruel grasp of the common housecat until their dessicated corpses are found under the couch by the homeowner.

This has actually been the source of many debates, the nomeclature is rather confusing. My family (longtime Florida natives) called the beetle-like roaches that give off a putrid smell "palmetto bugs" and the brown-headed and all-brown American and Asian cockraoches just "roaches." Apparently, we were in the minority, however

Hope this helps (kill your appetite and any desire to move to Florida for the foreseeable future):

American Cockroach aka palmetto bug aka waterbug
    [​IMG]

German Cockroach
    [​IMG]

Asian Cockroach
    [​IMG]

What we called a palmetto bug
    [​IMG]

Enjoy [​IMG]

5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Roaches will survive this. Check cracks in corners and vents. You saw two that means a minimum of 2000 are behind the walls some place. Also, go into the kitchen when you'd normally be sleep. Turn the lights on and they scatter. Evil bastards. I use to have roaches and could tell you some stories.
    I've done the middle-of-the-night seen and haven't seen any. I just got home (it's dark out, all lights are off) and turned the kitchen lights on as I soon as I opened the front door. Nothing. I would probably lose my mind if I saw a bunch of them scurrying across the kitchen floor.

6. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I rapidly scrolled past those pics. I refuse to look at them, I would probably throw up.

7. forex

forex Senior member

This thread is disgusting,can you people not post those horrible pics? As if you don't get to see them in real life[​IMG]

8. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

At least you don't have these.

[​IMG]

them tasty basterds

9. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

them tasty basterds
    What the fuck is that, seriously.

10. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

You people live in disgusting shitholes.

My first thought as well...

This is one of my biggest phobias and peeves, even though I grew up in places where we occasionally had some roaches. But I don't think I've seen them inside any of the places I've lived in for at least 15 years, and I REALLY don't wanna see them. I live in an older-ish (1975) highrise right now and NEVER had any problems.. It's a really well-maintained, clean condo building though.

If I see any of these fuckers, I am moving out. I actually might have to move to an apartment for work stuff elsewhere soon, and I will be looking really hard to make sure there are no fucking roaches there... UGH.

11. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I've done the middle-of-the-night seen and haven't seen any. I just got home (it's dark out, all lights are off) and turned the kitchen lights on as I soon as I opened the front door. Nothing. I would probably lose my mind if I saw a bunch of them scurrying across the kitchen floor.

Make sure to look around the cabinets, kitchen sink, under the kitchen sink, and in the bathroom. Fuckers love moisture, darkness, and food - at least from what I remember.

12. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Make sure to look around the cabinets, kitchen sink, under the kitchen sink, and in the bathroom. Fuckers love moisture, darkness, and food - at least from what I remember.
    I've never really had a roach issue before*, but from what I understand, this is more or less accurate. Roaches are tropical creatures by origin, and they love warmth and moisture. The corollary, of course, is that they dry out easily and have a low tolerance for cold. One rather extreme solution, which should work in theory, is to keep your house or apartment at a consistently cooler temperature than the temperature outside. This will cause the roaches to migrate outside rather than inside. Where this solution becomes somewhat untenable is in the winter in colder climates. If you're willing to freeze your ass off by keeping your indoor temps colder than the outdoors, you'll live a roach-free, but highly uncomfortable existence. Spot-killing, i.e., traps and glue and whatnot, is more or less ineffective. It can be a good indicator of whether or not you have roaches in the first place (a single dead roach in a trap is a pretty reliable indicator of an infestation). But beyond that, you're not going to do any damage to a thriving insect colony by killing off individuals. Unfortunately, those "bait" traps -- where roaches pick up bait, bring it back to their colonies, then share it with their friends -- don't do much damage over the long term, either. This is because roach colonies are decentralized. There is no central living place, hive, or hierarchy like you'd find with bees or ants. The only reliable solution over the long term is a regular schedule of extermination by insecticide. It won't ever permanently solve a roach problem, but it'll keep one in some degree of remission. *While it's true that I've never faced a roach infestation (thank God), I had a huge cricket problem when I lived in Southern California. Crickets and roaches are very close genetic cousins, and their lifestyles and MOs are very similar. They're slightly less ugly than roaches, but at night they're a serious pain in the ass.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

You people live in disgusting shitholes.
    Incredible, seeing that everybody here makes $250k+ per year.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Incredible, seeing that everybody here makes $250k+ per year.

250K fallback jobs, let's hope it never comes down to that.

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

them tasty basterds
    You've eaten a coconut crab? Seriously? Do they range in the Philippines? Does the meat taste like coconut or especially sweet? I've often wondered. They look pretty yummy, as far as crabs go. ~ H

16. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Roaches are nothing compared to the Demonspawn bugs that used to crawl around in my folks' basement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys were like 5 inches long and skittered around faster than a mouse - ceilings, floors, in your underpants - you name it.

17. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

18. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

If god were real he'd save me from this dark menace.

God is probably grabbing a Fanta and a seat to watch the agony he has unleashed.

19. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

What the fuck is that, seriously.

[​IMG]

You've eaten a coconut crab? Seriously? Do they range in the Philippines? Does the meat taste like coconut or especially sweet? I've often wondered. They look pretty yummy, as far as crabs go.

~ H

just once, can't remember if it was in Singapore or in Hong Kong though. yeah the meat is, if I remember, sweeter than the usual Asian mud crab we eat around here. Less spiny too.

20. FLMountainMan

*While it's true that I've never faced a roach infestation (thank God), I had a huge cricket problem when I lived in Southern California. Crickets and roaches are very close genetic cousins, and their lifestyles and MOs are very similar. They're slightly less ugly than roaches, but at night they're a serious pain in the ass.

Do crickets divebomb you? Because roaches do. I've eaten spiders and moths, wrestled an alligator, camped for weeks out in the swamps, etc..., but I shriek like a twelve-year old girl when I'm out downtown and one of those things dive bomb me. Fucking terrifying.