• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just did my taxes this year

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Like every year, we file jointly on the EZs and had to pay about $1200 in net taxes in April. Last year it was a wash due to the stimulus check.

However, this year, we owe a whopping $3500! No changes to our W4s, slight increase in income, but did not expect to pay this much. Basically, are we just paying back the stimulus check we received last year?

Anyone else did their taxes this year and got surprised as to how much they owe or how little they are getting in return?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We did not have the problem of receiving a stimulus cheque. Mainly due to pre-paying some long term charity pledges, we are expecting back a total of about 10k.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm ******* surprised every single year I do my taxes. It's not how much you owe at the end of the year and have to send in on April 15th. It's how much the SCUM in Washington DC take in total.

If you work for yourself and you actually SEE

the 15% social security tax PLUS
the 20% Federal Tax PLUS
the 8% State/Local PLUS
the 8% sales tax when you spend your money

You realize the ******* GOVERNMENT is taking approx. 50% of your working life and spending on whatever they want to spend it on, including 50% wasted in administration costs.

(If you live in the US) You are a slave to the US government for half your working life.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
I'm ******* surprised every single year I do my taxes. It's not how much you owe at the end of the year and have to send in on April 15th. It's how much the SCUM in Washington DC take in total.

If you work for yourself and you actually SEE

the 15% social security tax PLUS
the 20% Federal Tax PLUS
the 8% State/Local PLUS
the 8% sales tax when you spend your money

You realize the ******* GOVERNMENT is taking approx. 50% of your working life and spending on whatever they want to spend it on, including 50% wasted in administration costs.

(If you live in the US) You are a slave to the US government for half your working life.

It's not exactly much better in most other countries.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care about other countries. I care about the United States of America. They can all have their own problems. This country became great due to little government intervention, not because of it.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Like every year, we file jointly on the EZs and had to pay about $1200 in net taxes in April. Last year it was a wash due to the stimulus check. However, this year, we owe a whopping $3500! No changes to our W4s, slight increase in income, but did not expect to pay this much. Basically, are we just paying back the stimulus check we received last year? Anyone else did their taxes this year and got surprised as to how much they owe or how little they are getting in return?
Yeah, I owe around $10,000. Lovely... If I didn't do an investment deduction I think it would have been something like $16,000. I nearly fainted.

JoshC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Yeah, I owe around $10,000. Lovely... If I didn't do an investment deduction I think it would have been something like $16,000. I nearly fainted.

Ouch! I guess I should stop complaining that I am only getting $400 back this year.

mink31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
...had to pay about $1200...

...this year, we owe a whopping $3500!

Originally Posted by visionology

How does this happen? Do you not pay any taxes on your income during the year? I've always had refunds, aside from city taxes.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to estimate income at the beginning of the year and there were a number of deductions and whatnot that didn't happen this year. Also my income was higher than expected. I paid higher throughout the year once I saw a pattern developing but evidently it wasn't enough. It's always tricky because there are self employment taxes and such that add up real quick.

Next year should be better after I get married, buy a house and take the new house deduction.

Normally it wouldn't be such a big deal but I have some major purchases this year including required investments, this tax for 08', downpayment for home, marriage, ring, and a new car. When it rains it pours.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i don't pay all year; just finished paying 07 taxes. will owe @22k for 08.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
How can you not pay all year as a business owner?
Do sole proprietorship businesses count as 1099 taxes or something? I know my moms does that as an independent contractor.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i pay my corp/business taxes but not my personal til the last minute. interest is lower than my other bills so they take precedence.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
How can you not pay all year as a business owner?
Do sole proprietorship businesses count as 1099 taxes or something? I know my moms does that as an independent contractor.

You don't have to pay taxes until the end of the year. Though most like to set out 4-5 estimate payments to smooth out the damage.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Already paid $33K. Still owe $14K.

And do I even get a thank you note? No, I get "We need to (FURTHER) spread the wealth around". We need to further increase the gap between rates many pay (zero, or negative rate) and those who actually earn money (high rate, which will be made higher YET)

50% of my working life is NOT ENOUGH????? It's too damn much. What's a reasonable amount? Certainly something much less than that. Half your working life working for the government? And we say we are "Free"?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^**** you're worse than me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads