• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

i just brought some erza fitch jeans

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Then you clearly haven't read our Current Events forum. Try not to. It's a horrible place.
CE raped my baby and burned my dog. I walked in one time and walked out owning a shemagh for each day of the week. I told friends they're only to accessorize but really it's to hide my secret shame.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghostdeini
yes, this thread about abercrombie&fitch on styleforum had so much potential, it hurts to look back upon all the wasted intellect
lol8[1].gif

jcrew923

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
So I presume his name is taken in irony rather like your name?

Other brands include American Eagle and Ralph Lauren.

um
confused.gif
no my name isn't supposed to be ..

wtf how can you group j.crew and ralph lauren with ae and af..
i'm into the sorta preppier dress but i'm starting to get into a more general style like stuff on here..

lost in va

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcrew923
wtf how can you group j.crew and ralph lauren with ae and af..
An easy way is to say that they're all stores in almost any mall in america.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew is generally looked down upon here, perhaps somewhat unfairly, but not entirely without reason. Comparing them to AE and AF is ******* ridiculous, though.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
J Crew is generally looked down upon here, perhaps somewhat unfairly, but not entirely without reason. Comparing them to AE and AF is ******* ridiculous, though.

I dunno. For the most part, I think J. Crew is the "every once in awhile, every couple of seasons, they make one or two things that are worth buying on sale" brand. I wouldn't say they're horrible, aside from horribly unoriginal.

Jake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I dunno. For the most part, I think J. Crew is the "every once in awhile, every couple of seasons, they make one or two things that are worth buying on sale" brand. I wouldn't say they're horrible, aside from horribly unoriginal.
Of course they're unoriginal. All they sell are classic clothing stables. I like them as an alternative to Polo ect. as they have a more forgiving price range.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I wouldn't disagree, to an extent, but they do manage stuff that, while not entirely original, is generally more interesting than the other prep brands and vastly more interesting than any other mall store (except maybe H&M, but I'm not sure they count). Granted, their prices are usually too high (sometimes far too high) for what they do, but I still think they're the most unfairly maligned of the mall stores. And their women's stuff tends to be a fair bit less boring than the men's. It's kind of annoying.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jake
Of course they're unoriginal. All they sell are classic clothing stables.

I like them as an alternative to Polo ect. as they have a more forgiving price range.

Actually, I think of the stuff as either Polo for a hipper demographic, or Banana Republic for a preppier audience. The latter is probably more apt, seeing now that Mickey Drexler has is at the J.Crew helm, and doing a pretty reasonable job too, imho. I don't have any J. Crew stuff myself, but I do use them for basic items when doing wardrobing. The quality is considerably higher than then most mall stores, and the cuts better thought out...

Also, it's quite possible to do "classic clothing" originally. In the workwear and military inspired casualwear camp, there is Engineered Garments, Rag&Bone, and Oliver Spencer, for starters.

jcrew923

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Actually, I think of the stuff as either Polo for a hipper demographic, or Banana Republic for a preppier audience. The latter is probably more apt, seeing now that Mickey Drexler has is at the J.Crew helm, and doing a pretty reasonable job too, imho. I don't have any J. Crew stuff myself, but I do use them for basic items when doing wardrobing. The quality is considerably higher than then most mall stores, and the cuts better thought out...

Also, it's quite possible to do "classic clothing" originally. In the workwear and military inspired casualwear camp, there is Engineered Garments, Rag&Bone, and Oliver Spencer, for starters.

i think jake meant "classic clothing" in the vein of brooks brothers and polo
as in like classic (more preppy) clothing
but yes banana republic for a preppier crowd is a great description

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcrew923
i think jake meant "classic clothing" in the vein of brooks brothers and polo
as in like classic (more preppy) clothing
but yes banana republic for a preppier crowd is a great description

Well, even Brooks Brothers and Polo bow to the dictates of fashion. For example, Rugby is now in the Ralph Lauren Empire, and there are "slim cut" polos, and Brooks Brothers has the younger (and cheaper) "Brooksease" line, as well as the higher end "Golden Fleece" line meant to capitalize on the MTM trend. And Brooks Brothers now also carries a "slim" shirt. imho "classic clothing" is a chimera.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Press.
that's my ****.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
J. Press.
that's my ****.

J Press is not immune to fashion either, although they resist change like a ninety year old man resisting his meds. They carry a notched lapel dinner jacket with flap pocket and a single back vent. The very kind old salesman there told me that it was their "classic model".

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should point out that it's the type of "We are classic, we will not change" mentality in the old Savile Row houses that has an increasing number of them being pushed off the Row by savvier businesses. Gieves & Hawkes, one of the most venerable houses, has found that it can maintain it's brand integrity while recognizing that the world has changed. It's how you adapt that is important. Sometimes, however, some brands seem to have a self-destructive streak, refusing to even contemplate change or to acknowledge that the way business is created is changing. One way to shore up a diminishing customer base is to aggressively market (and those old names have a lot of value in their names,) but a lot of houses seem unwilling to do even that...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics