• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just bought my first pair of shoetrees

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My shoes range in size from an 8-9 but it really depends on the shoe, brand, etc. i just bought a pair of size 9 shoetrees and they barely fit in to one of my pairs of black leather shoes. It's kinda hard to get them and even harder to get them out. It's a very tight fit lengthwise and i can't compress the shoetree anymore than it is. I didnt think to ask the guy at the store because the trees looked very adjustable and they are i guess but i tend to think it's more of a 9-10 size then an 8-9.

I'd gues that the wood is supposed to be in contact with the leather to absorb moisture, but the more a spring is compressed, the more force it exerts so i'm wondering if it can stretch the shoe or harm it in any way if it's a really tight fit.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those shoe trees are too big. They will stretch out your shoes, especially if you cram them in when the shoes are damp from wearing. Shoe trees should fit in pretty easily, then the front part will expand (if you have that type) to fill the width, as the bar is pushed forward, and the heel part will compress to fit in the heel easily as well. You should take them back and get smaller ones.

Incidentally, if you have a Marshall's or TJ Maxx near you I got a bunch at Marshall's and saw the same at TJ Maxx, they are all Rochester cedar trees, the good ones, and they were $8 a pair. That is very cheap, especially considering the prices of the shoes they are in.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
J,

You're an amazing bargain hunter. I need some shoe trewes nd will check Marshall's and TJ Maxx out. I've found them to be really poor sources for good clothes in No. Cal., but in the Midwest my brother swears by them.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I'd definitely recommend going back and getting a fitting pair. My feet used to really stink. It was bad. They would just sweat- even when the rest of me wouldn't. Since then, I've used Clindet wipes on the bottoms of my feet for a week and they've been fine. Anyway, I got a shoetree as a present soon thereafter (cedar one from Men's Wearhouse) and I love it. I always look forward to wearing the shoes that I put them in, because cedar is my favorite smell in the world (always has been). It's great: by the end of the day, my socks smell like cedar. mmmmmm.
smile.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
heh mine was 36 canadian, they're cedar and exactly how j described them. =/ We really don't have any stores like that around here so i'm SOL. I scrapped the skin off my first joint knuckles trying to get them out heh. Going back tomorrow i guess. Thanks for info.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
At that price, maybe I should go to Marshall's and pick up some more and put them on ebay. Then you could get them for pretty cheap. What do you think? Oh, they are "irregular," by the way, which means that they have exposed knots or little defects like that. Nothing that affects their functioning though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads