• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought JUST a Tuxedo Jacket! now save me from my gf!

shlomo127

Reaction score
kk, to start off, let me just say that my usual style is a bright colored dress shirt, dress pants, a blazer and when im in the mood to spice things up, maybe a sweater vest and/or a tie....
sooo... i was shopping and i saw a good deal on just a Tuxedo JACKET, thinking i could wear it with something from my wardtobe and pull it off, but my girlfriend freaked when i came home and wants me to return it...
kk my point: She said if i can show her an outfit in which it would work i could keep it, so i need the perfect outfit.. so any ideas?
thanks so much!
<3
inlove.gif

shlomo
P.S. im a total newbie so if didnt follow any of the forum rules im sorry....

shlomo127

Reaction score
o btw, if this helps its a single breasted, single button jacket with a center vent...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans and that's about it. And, the center vent, in and of itself, warrants a return.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, tuxedo jackets are meant to be worn as...tuxedo jackets. They're not intended for use as a sportcoat. The only time you should wear a dinner jacket is when it's paired with the correct trouser, bowtie & formal shirt.

You'd be wise to return it, since you won't be able to craft an outfit around the DJ
teacha.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yeah, unless it's a white dinner jacket with no satin facings, I don't think you're going to get much wear out of it. You should especially return it if it's a notched lapel monstrosity. Unlike what GQ may tell you, you should choose a shawl or peaked lapel for dinner jackets.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, you could do the whole rockstar chic thing, but that's hard to pull off. Does she want you to return it because it was particularly expensive or does it just offend her sensibilities?

shlomo127

Reaction score
lol, well i was thinking of going for that whole rockstar chic thing, maybe jeans and a studded belt, it really wasnt that expensie (probably cuz of the missing pants), so let me know what would work,
but i think im gonna return it cuz i love my gf and she puts up with a lot of my other, um, bold outfits...
thanks a lot guys
im so glad i joined this forum!
-shlomo

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return it for a 3 button Navy/midnight blue Navy sportcoat in nice cut.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i'm going to side with your girlfriend on this...

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen a guy here in his early 20's wearing jeans a colorful tee and a black dinner jacket..... he looked good for a night in the disco, kind of rock'n'roll attitude... Me I couldn't do it I am in my early 40's

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think it'd look awesome...only to go clubbing though..can't really think of any other occasion i'd use something like that

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
me too clubing bar etc but if i was gonna get a dj definatly shaul collar and in midnight purple it would go great with a black t and vintage 1947 levis 501's
laugh.gif

demo5

Reaction score
Get tuxedo pants custom made to match.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by demo5
Get tuxedo pants custom made to match.

Virtually impossible to get a correct fabric match.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics