1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

2. denning

denning Senior member

Just had grabbed the following from Astor Wines and Spirits in New York.
    Vieux Pontarlier absinthe (now I can make proper Sazeracs and Corpse Revivers)
    Root (delicious amaro-like root tea)
    [​IMG]

3. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I just polished off my last bottle of Goose Island Mild Winter last night. Good stuff.

4. js4design

js4design Senior member

Has anyone here had Wasmund's Single Malt Whisky? The info from the website-

Wasmund's[​IMG] Single Malt Whisky

Combines the best of the grand tradition of single malt whisky with creative and unique innovations for aging and flavoring that result in a special spirit that has no peer.

At Copper Fox Distillery, we are the only distillery in North America to hand malt our own barley, and the only distillery on the planet to use apple and cherry wood smoke to flavor the malted barley. Our single batch copper potstill produces one barrel at a time and the spirit is non-chill filtered to preserve the complete flavor and essence of the barley grain.

I'd like to try it but at $36/bottle I didn't want to take the plunge without hearing some opinions.

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My treasures from Tokyo!! Nothing too expensive, but nothing I can buy in the States, either -- especially those wonderful Scotches; I love both Royal Lochnagar and the Mortlach Flora and Fauna edition.

~H

6. Crawford

Crawford Senior member

Has anyone tried The Botanist? Our local stores just started carrying it, and I'm very intrigued... But it's $58 versus $28 for Bombay, pretty steep to go in blind.

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Was a little discussion about it in the other thread:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/23206/what-are-you-drinking-right-now/11700_100#post_6198870

What sort of profile do you usually like in gin? There's no one note that stands out in Botanist, it's got a lot going on but they're all pretty balanced. It wasn't spectacular in Negronis, but made a nice martini. I think I might pick up another bottle (almost finished this one) just for something very flexible for playing around in cocktails.

$58 is awfully steep though. Bombay is ~$18 here and I paid $31 for the Botanist and thought it was fine there. $58 though...it's not that good. I can't really see paying that for gin unless money just isn't an issue.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Is there a thread for pictures of our bars?

Regardless, my very modest bar setup at home:
    [​IMG]

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Looking pretty good there, K-dub.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

A few glaring omissions and some really crappy shopping choices but overall I'm happy. Although manifest destiny will soon require a second countertop and glassware shelf.

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Not really a "bar" so much as a "shelf full of booze."

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Just got this in the mail

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

That's pretty sweet -- that is a gift from someone on Whisky Exchange stationary, not from them, right? Wish I had friends like that.
    ~ H

14. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    and Hennessy #1, which is for sale at $1600.
    Bisquit Extra Old-$300
    NM Reserve -$200
    Daniel Bouju - $175

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  15. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Quick stop at Astor Wines & Sprits in NYC after dinner with my father at FireBird. We arrived literally four minutes before they closed and as I (owing to some changing life circumstances) anticipate being poor for at least a few months, decided to restrict myself to 1) cheap spirits I cannot get in my home jurisdiction that I am 100% out of, and 2) vermouths and quinquinas which I do so love. Thus I acquired:

1x Dolin Blanc (I can live off M&R dry and my stock of Vya and Cocchi sweet, but the M&R blanc is awful and tastes like chocolate)
    1x Cocchi Americano
    1x Cocchi Americano Rosso (this is new and I am excited to try it)
    2x El Dorado 3yr (it was like $12 on sale, which is ridiculous)
    1x Laird's Bottled in Bond

My father, aware of the circumstances prompting the above limitations, asked to get me soemthing I reallay wanted, and though there were some really cool looking things, as always, at Astor, I've wanted some Del Maguey Chichicapa for quite some time now, to complement my ever present Vida.

Four minutes, pretty awesome trip.

~ H

Edit: b1, glad you like the El Dorado!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. ama

ama Senior member

A friend of mine is looking for Pappy and is willing to pay a decent premium for it. I don't want to part with mine, but if anyone has any they want to part with let me know what you have and name your price. Thanks!

18. b1os

b1os Senior member

Got a good deal on this. It's the most floral gin I've tasted so far. Geranium/rose-y. Light on the juniper. Not sure whether I like it or not yet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  19. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

I quite like the Jameson 12, I always order it when going it.

20. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Dammit, I am starting my bar more or less from scratch (for complicated personal reasons). This is some serious pain in the neck. I am down to like 50 bottles from 250+, and am temporarily without sufficient disposable income to get back in the game. I wanted to make a Cure for Pain tonight and I don't have all the necessaries.

~ H

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013