• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
In a store today, just there to help a friend out, I spotted....Pappy Van Winkle 20! $80, score! (even though I had just written the largest check of my life three weeks before, and was, essentially, out of current spending money).

~ H

Nice find!

Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Good find! You may remember that I had a very similar experience with BMH 21 a few months back. It is a fun feeling - finding a good deal or a rare liquor.

I would love to stumble upon some BMH 21.
inlove.gif
I can still find the 23 y/o rye pretty easily, but that is it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Good find! You may remember that I had a very similar experience with BMH 21 a few months back. It is a fun feeling - finding a good deal or a rare liquor.
Originally Posted by ama
Nice find! I would love to stumble upon some BMH 21.
inlove.gif
I can still find the 23 y/o rye pretty easily, but that is it.

Thanks. Yeah, BMH 21 would be on my list, too! This is my first Pappy ever so I am excited...

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Thanks. Yeah, BMH 21 would be on my list, too! This is my first Pappy ever so I am excited...

I'm sure you'll like it. I bet it even overtakes BMH as your go to.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This once great threak has unfortunately gone into disuse. Here is my latest purchase, posted here in hopes of reviving it.

4870582031_8256993899_z.jpg

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was down in New York last week and picked up a bunch of stuff not avialable here.

Luxardo maraschino x 2
St. Germain
Creme de Violette
Vya dry
Vya sweet x 2

Yesterday I picked up some more Plymouth Gin and some Chartreuse.

I'm all set for Aviations, Last Words, and a few other cocktails that have previously been out of my reach due to product unavailability.

Crawford

Reaction score
Lagavulin 16

For a close friend's house warming. I have now bought one bottle of Lagavulin DE and one bottle fo Lagavulin 16 in my lifetime, both as gifts... and have yet to actually taste either (ever). Can't wait for one of them to open their bottles.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Signet has yet to be opened, but the smal bottle of Macallan is quite nice. Its a Douglas Laing bottling for "A fine cigar's pleasure", non chil filtered, no coloring, single casc 11y.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Looks like I am late to this party. Just stumbled on this thread today. Some comments- Hunts-You have to get rid of the GF. I am sure she is great but she is killing your buying power and therefore slowing down your posting here. She has to go!
lol8[1].gif
Pio-Time to fall of the wagon. Like hunts, I was enjoying your posts as well. Start drinking again damn it!!
angry.gif
Kwilk-I love your buys of Jack Danials in between dozens of posts about expensive chardonnay's, Sauvignon Blancs and liqueurs I have never heard of. I guess it is refreshing for me to actually recognize some spirits I have heard and even experienced before.
laugh.gif
The three of you have kept this thread going a long time. Well done. As for me, I am starting to test the waters a little more and get out of my comfort zone. In the past my goto's have been CC Manhattan's (thanks to my Uncle), Cuervo or Patron and Crown Royal. I have started to dip my toe in the Scotch waters a bit. It's an acquired taste.
eh.gif
I started with Glen 15 yr. Seem like Glen does not get much love here. Macallan seems to be the favorite-No? One thing that I have learned here is I need to get off the beaten path more. Seems like the aficionados do not go with the main stream spirits i.e. Cuervo. Speaking of Tequila-I have read that 100% agave is the only way to go. Would you guys agree? I was shocked to lean that Patron is not 100% agave. I always thought Patron was a premium tequila. I do find it very good but my experience is limited. Keep up the good work everyone. Hope to see more posts from everyone, especially Hunts, Pio and Kwilk. P.S.-Any advice in picking quality spirits from lesser known ones? I only recognize 1/2 of the the purchases on here. So ordinarily, I would not buy the things you guys buy. I need to get a better understanding of what to look for and not just reach for the commercial brand.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
This once great threak has unfortunately gone into disuse. Here is my latest purchase, posted here in hopes of reviving it.
4870582031_8256993899_z.jpg

Holy....
Originally Posted by denning
Was down in New York last week and picked up a bunch of stuff not avialable here. Luxardo maraschino x 2 St. Germain Creme de Violette Vya dry Vya sweet x 2 Yesterday I picked up some more Plymouth Gin and some Chartreuse. I'm all set for Aviations, Last Words, and a few other cocktails that have previously been out of my reach due to product unavailability.
Good stuff. I feel your pain about product availability.
Originally Posted by Willie5566
Looks like I am late to this party. Just stumbled on this thread today. Some comments- Hunts-You have to get rid of the GF. I am sure she is great but she is killing your buying power and therefore slowing down your posting here. She has to go!
lol8[1].gif
P.S.-Any advice in picking quality spirits from lesser known ones? I only recognize 1/2 of the the purchases on here So ordinarily, I would not buy the things you guys buy. I need to get a better understanding of what to look for and not just reach for the commercial brand.

Willie, thanks much, man. I'm afraid that the GF that's been killing my buying power is named Emma. She has six cylinders at the front, six gears in the middle, and two really fat tyres at the back. My real GF is not fiscally demanding in the slightest. I think I need to sell the car. Picking out spirits? Honestly, there's a thread here for each of Gin, Bourbon, Rye, Scotch, and Rum -- I'd go there for some great recs. Unlike wine, with spirits it's hard to find some indicator of quality on the labels, like the DOCeG on a nice Italian. ~ H

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crawford
Lagavulin 16

For a close friend's house warming. I have now bought one bottle of Lagavulin DE and one bottle fo Lagavulin 16 in my lifetime, both as gifts... and have yet to actually taste either (ever). Can't wait for one of them to open their bottles.

Your dad hasn't cracked open his Christmas present yet? What is he waiting for?!

Hope you get to try one of them soon too, they are worth the wait.

Originally Posted by speedster.8
The Signet has yet to be opened, but the smal bottle of Macallan is quite nice.
Its a Douglas Laing bottling for "A fine cigar's pleasure", non chil filtered, no coloring, single casc 11y.

You must not live in the U.S. I would love to see some of those DL mini bottles available. Hell, I'd like to see more DL bottlings available in general, regardless of the size! The Signet is pretty cool by the way, very chocolaty.

Looks like I am late to this party. Just stumbled on this thread today.

As for me, I am starting to test the waters a little more and get out of my comfort zone. In the past my goto's have been CC Manhattan's (thanks to my Uncle), Cuervo or Patron and Crown Royal. I have started to dip my toe in the Scotch waters a bit. It's an acquired taste.
eh.gif
I started with Glen 15 yr. Seem like Glen does not get much love here. Macallan seems to be the favorite-No?

One thing that I have learned here is I need to get off the beaten path more. Seems like the aficionados do not go with the main stream spirits i.e. Cuervo. Speaking of Tequila-I have read that 100% agave is the only way to go. Would you guys agree? I was shocked to lean that Patron is not 100% agave. I always thought Patron was a premium tequila. I do find it very good but my experience is limited.

When you say Glen 15 I assume you mean Glenlivet 15, right? If so, that isn't a bad whisky. It has a lot of fruit flavors and some nice wood tones. If you are looking for something a little more complex in that price range try Highland Park 12 or 15. It will throw some smoke into the mix.

Regarding 100% agave tequila, Patron is, Cuervo (with some exception) isn't. In the U.S. market the mixetos (tequila that is greater than 51% agave, but less than 100% agave) are generally very bad. In Mexico there are some that are much better. If you are in the market for premium tequila than, yes, you should be looking for 100% agave ones. I would recommend Casa Noble in an form, they are all very good.

Sherlockian

Reaction score
Hendrick's Gin, two bottles of Schweppes tonic, one large lemon. Ice in the freezer, ready to go.

r9417_lg.jpg

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Your dad hasn't cracked open his Christmas present yet? What is he waiting for?! Hope you get to try one of them soon too, they are worth the wait. You must not live in the U.S. I would love to see some of those DL mini bottles available. Hell, I'd like to see more DL bottlings available in general, regardless of the size! The Signet is pretty cool by the way, very chocolaty. When you say Glen 15 I assume you mean Glenlivet 15, right? If so, that isn't a bad whisky. It has a lot of fruit flavors and some nice wood tones. If you are looking for something a little more complex in that price range try Highland Park 12 or 15. It will throw some smoke into the mix. Regarding 100% agave tequila, Patron is, Cuervo (with some exception) isn't. In the U.S. market the mixetos (tequila that is greater than 51% agave, but less than 100% agave) are generally very bad. In Mexico there are some that are much better. If you are in the market for premium tequila than, yes, you should be looking for 100% agave ones. I would recommend Casa Noble in an form, they are all very good.
Yes, I am referring to Glenlivet 15. I forgot there is Glenfiddich as well. Sorry for the confusion. As for the Highland, what do you mean about throwing smoke into the mix? I am still in the beginning stages of appreciating scotch and I do not want to be overwhelmed. Would you say the Highland is a good beginners scotch? As for my latest purchase and an attempt to break away from my norm I went with this:
henne.jpg
I took a long hard look at Chimay after reading one Hunts posts but from what the clerk was telling me it sounds like it is too sweet. He recommended the Hennepin to me.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am referring to Glenlivet 15. I forgot there is Glenfiddich as well. Sorry for the confusion. As for the Highland, what do you mean about throwing smoke into the mix? I am still in the beginning stages of appreciating scotch and I do not want to be overwhelmed. Would you say the Highland is a good beginners scotch?

Yes, Highland is a great beginners scotch. It has just a wisp of smoke, it isn't overbearing.

Bohdathone

Reaction score
I can't get enough of real ales lately. Just picked up a couple of Theakston's Old Peculier. Look forward to trying them tonight

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads