1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

The post-summer/pre-fall haul:

[​IMG]

I got the FdC 4 gold to replace the Appleton V/X I just depleted (too many girls and too many rum & cokes). Any other suggestions for a dark rum for mixed drinks?

2. denning

denning Senior member

Came back to Canada from San Francisco with four bottles:
    1. (x-post from Bourbon thread) Kentucky Vintage Bourbon 17 year
    2. Root
    3. Creme de Yvette
    4. VEP Chartreuse (green)

I am quite satisfied with the result of my cross-border haul.

Recently I picked up 30 year Alberta Premium Rye which was just released. Fantastic stuff and an amazing bargain at $49.99. It isn't blended with some being 30 years old, but comes from a few barrels that the distiller put aside back in 1983. Only 700 cases. I am thinking of hoarding a few extra bottles, just because.

3. duofold

duofold Well-Known Member

Entertaining more than ever before, so I stocked up the last couple of weeks with what I enjoy:

Yamazaki 18 x 2
    Elijah Craig 18
    Ron Zacapa XO x 2
    Don Julio 1942
    Laphroaig 18
    Lagavulin
    Edit: I'm on a tear--picked up a inexpensive bottle of Booker's on the way home tonight. Thanks to bdeuce22 for the tip.

I don't even drink more than a couple of times a week. But the guests get a kick out of trying stuff that they'd never on their own. Especially when served in Glencairn.

Looking forward to augmenting the collection with the BTAC & PvW in a month.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

That's a pretty nice stock, I'll be over soon for a drink. :eek:

In Tokyo there is a package store that does deliveries like a pizza place, free delivery too. They have Yamazaki and the two Nikka whiskeys, Yoichi and Miyagikyou, some SMS, some bourbon, beer of course - can call in for some whiskey, ice, beef jerky, and a Coke whenever you find yourself needing to party. :slayer:

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Need some help guys: I'm making a purchase from ShoppersVineyard.com, mostly because I want their cheap, cheap Ron Zacapa XO, and I was wondering what else I should buy that's a good price/not easy to find/etc.. So far, I've got a bottle of Junipero and a bottle of Black Maple Hill burbon. Any other suggestions?

6. duofold

Shit, Rambo...are you signed up Shopper's Vineyard emails? It's too late now, but if so, they sent out a free shipping code on Ron Zacapa XO this past Sunday. Also threw in Don Julio 1942 for a good price too (at least cheaper than anywhere around here).

It's one of the very few retailer's email that I'll examine without just tossing it unopened.

7. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

8. duofold

Sounds like you're doing just well enough for yourself there in the nexus of the universe, impolyt one. But if you're ever in mn, you're invited!

I'm a poor mixologist. Because of this, I stick with straight drams. As a result, my bar is meager vs. what I've seen here.

Less the incoming bottles:

[​IMG]

9. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

^I strongly approve of your very focused bourbon selection.

10. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

No, I haven't ordered from them yet. Do you have the code still? Mind PM'ing it to me please? It would save me a good chunk of change.

+1

+1

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Just talked to Shoppers Vineyard and they said they'd honor it! Yes! So, what else should I buy?

13. ama

ama Senior member

They generally will only give you free shipping on the one bottle, not on the whole order. Careful with that.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Yeah, she explained that. Still, I'm ordering a few things that I can't get my hands on anyways, so I figured why not just go for the gusto.

15. ama

ama Senior member

Cause drinkupny.com will ship for free over $100. That pro tip just cost you like 2.5 bottles of MZ RIS. :nodding:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  16. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

True, but their XO Zacapa is full price, not 1/2 off.

That point will cost you 4 bottles of Surly. :nodding:

17. ama

ama Senior member

Right, so you order the XO from SV, and the rest from DrinkUp. :nodding:

2.5 MZ RIS back in my pocket.

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

yeah, but SV has a few thins that Drinkup doesn't, so I still have to order from them to be able to enjoy all of that drunken goodness.

4 Surly's back in my cupboard.

19. ama

ama Senior member

What things?

20. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Yearly trip to NYC. Stopped at Astor and Warehouse. PSA: Warehouse has Talisker 25 for $90!!!!! Normally like $200.

It was a cheap trip for me, mainly some odd ingredients I did not have, as well as some vermouths and my first Del Maguey mezcal.

[​IMG]

The Rittenhouse 25 rye was my father's Christmas gift to me. My thank you was a trip to the Brandy Library. Wow! Intense place!

[​IMG]

The Bonal is a very dry white wine quinquina that I am excited to try. The two bottles on the left are Haus Alpenz reintroductions -- one Nonino (walnut liqeuer), and the other is Allspice Dram, a deeply spicy rum cordial used in unusual cocktails. In between them and the Del Maguey is Tremontis Myrto -- an INCREDIBLE myrtleberry liqueur that I highly recommend.

~ H