• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two bottles of Napanook 2006. It's largely Cab-Sav blended with a few others.
IMG00001-20100524-2241.jpg
Excellent for casual drinking.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With Pio on his diet and Hunts busy leading two lives interest in this thread has seemed to die down. I haven't contributed to this thread in a while, so I figured that I would post something kind of unique. Maybe we can get this thread going again!

4637353859_9f06e74c21.jpg

Once-A-Decade Ale

Jubel 2010 is a deeply dynamic presentation of the flavors found in our festive winter seasonal, Jubelale. Available on tap around the holidays at our pubs as Super Jubel, February 2010 marks only the second time we have ever bottled this immortal libation. As some of you may remember, the first and only other time this special brew was bottled was to celebrate the new millennium as Jubel 2000.

The internally dubbed "Super Jubel" was discovered by accident two decades ago when a clumsy burglar didn't realize the weight of his stolen keg of Jubelale. He dropped it outside to freeze in the season's sub-zero temperatures - only to be discovered the next morning by Gary Fish, Deschutes Brewery's owner. More than half the liquid in the keg had frozen and the remaining beer was a very cold, highly concentrated "Jubelale on steroids." It was so good that the brewers set about recreating it (minus the freezing part) coming up with an annual "Super Jubel" that is aged in Oregon oak pinot barrels.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew...0/default.aspx

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
**** man, Pio is drinking on the daily now. You're just reading the wrong threads.
laugh.gif

I read the wine threak! Pio has cut his spirit and beer consumption, and hence purchasing, way down though.
frown.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
I read the wine threak! Pio has cut his spirit and beer consumption, and hence purchasing, way down though.
frown.gif

Well if anything can bring him back to drinking the other stuff, it will be beer aged in Pinot barrels.
smile.gif

Personally, I've started drinking more beers. I still don't really like hops, but I figure that if I wanna be in the restaurant biz I need to at least be able to taste and appreciate and recommend certain styles and that kind of thing.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if anything can bring him back to drinking the other stuff, it will be beer aged in Pinot barrels.
smile.gif

Personally, I've started drinking more beers. I still don't really like hops, but I figure that if I wanna be in the restaurant biz I need to at least be able to taste and appreciate and recommend certain styles and that kind of thing.

Crap, you're on to me! I'm trying to lure him out...

There are plenty of great beers that have little to no trace of hops in them. I'm assuming you know about IBU's and stuff...

One of the beers that I have really been exploring lately is Scottish Ale. The hop characteristics are very muted as a result they have tend to have a dense/rich mouthfeel and malty, caramely flavors. Sometimes they are even a bit smokey.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm drinking one of my last bottles of Dogfish Head Brewery "Punk" ale from this past year -- perfect rainy CA afternoon brew.

That 2010 Jubel is great beer -- I picked up several bottles and have laid down all but one for aging.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Crap, you're on to me! I'm trying to lure him out...

There are plenty of great beers that have little to no trace of hops in them. I'm assuming you know about IBU's and stuff...

One of the beers that I have really been exploring lately is Scottish Ale. The hop characteristics are very muted as a result they have tend to have a dense/rich mouthfeel and malty, caramely flavors. Sometimes they are even a bit smokey.

Oh I know all about IBU's and all that. My dad is an avid brewer, so every weekend I have to read through a multitude of texts about original gravity and IBU and blah blah blah blah. I am just super sensitive to hops, which steers me away from most beers. Because even the heavily malted ones still taste overly hopped to me. But I'm currently on the lookout for less hoppy beers and maybe one day I'll start actually being able to drink hops without tasting soap.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
smile.gif

You know what beer pairs magnificently with?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
With Pio on his diet and Hunts busy leading two lives interest in this thread has seemed to die down. I haven't contributed to this thread in a while, so I figured that I would post something kind of unique. Maybe we can get this thread going again!
Yeah, I'm just drinking stock and rarely buying these days. The place I used to make quarterly trips to has not been stocking cool stuff, so I'm barely keeping up with restocks (out of Oban Distillery's!!!! Freaking out!!!) also, Hunts is dropping some serious coin going out drinking with his cocktail-loving gf, sooooooo..... yeah. Not so much on the 'I just bought' threak. I'm reading it though -- livin' the vicarious life. Gonna hit up Astor in NYC sometime this summer and let it ride. ~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
frown.gif

Beer is pretty much done for me.

I need to sip the occasional spirits again. Maybe this weekend?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Yeah, I'm just drinking stock and rarely buying these days. The place I used to make quarterly trips to has not been stocking cool stuff, so I'm barely keeping up with restocks (out of Oban Distillery's!!!! Freaking out!!!) also, Hunts is dropping some serious coin going out drinking with his cocktail-loving gf, sooooooo..... yeah. Not so much on the 'I just bought' threak. I'm reading it though -- livin' the vicarious life.

Gonna hit up Astor in NYC sometime this summer and let it ride.

~ H

Congrats on the GF! She sounds perfect for you.
laugh.gif

Skip Astor and go to Park Ave. or Panhandler.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Beer is pretty much done for me.

I need to sip the occasional spirits again. Maybe this weekend?

Agreed!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads