I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

^I'm only about a 12 hour drive. Just wait until I get there. kthnksI'monmyway.

2. ama

ama Senior member

Talisker single malt scotch, aged 15 years.

Really? Care to show me one of those? I've seen a grand total of one Talisker 15 in my life and if was a Single Malt Whisky Society private bottling. So pretty much I was wondering if the OP had stumbled across a different Talisker 15, but if you wanna step in and produce one, that be cool too.

3. ama

ama Senior member

[​IMG]

Please tell me you got the Stagg and the Weller too!

4. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

Please tell me you got the Stagg and the Weller too!

I still haven't been able to find the Stagg. Which Weller are you referring to, the Centennial?

5. ama

ama Senior member

No, the William Larue Weller in the Antique line. Its good, trust me =)

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I picked up the Weller 12 on kwilk's earlier commentary and some good reviews. Will likely do the vanilla/orange peel thing with it, as well.

As for the Stagg and the rest of the antique collection, I've decided I'm just not that big a baller. I already have more bourbon than I'll drink before Christmas, and at some point I won't be able to knock it back so freely.

7. Valproate

Valproate Senior member

Gascon Malbec - $10 at Trader Joes. Delicious malbec with strong fruit overtones and great finish.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Okay, picked up some stuff today. Araujo. Impossible to get onto the mailing list, cult wine...

[​IMG]

So, I found a bottle of the Syrah too. Next to it, some 1997 Fonseca true vintage:

[​IMG]

Speaking or port, how about a pair of these?

[​IMG]

Since we're talking about sweet wines...how about a pair from 1979?

[​IMG]

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I remember one of my early port experiences. Myself and a group of friends were at my friend Kelly's vacation house on the lake. Most of us had the honor of trying a 1975 Quinta do Noval a few days before so we thought we'd each grab a bottle of port and kill it. We'd done it with vintage Bordeaux, Burgundy, Langhe, Amarone, and many others countless times before, so wouldn't port be a spectacular time??

Shit didn't end up as planned.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Pio [​IMG]

11. Piobaire

Pio [​IMG]
    Tell ya what. If I come to Cyrus over Xmas, and you're working, I'll bring a bottle of the 79 Xminez or the Araujo...but I expect some awesome foie AND kick ass wine if I do the 8 course, grand wine pairing [​IMG]

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Tell ya what. If I come to Cyrus over Xmas, and you're working, I'll bring a bottle of the 79 Xminez or the Araujo...but I expect some awesome foie AND kick ass wine if I do the 8 course, grand wine pairing [​IMG]

DEAL!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

BTW, I can't guarantee I'll be at the new station by then, but the foie is bound to be good. Chef is known for his foie dishes.
    The grand pairing is pretty fuckin incredible, too. When I work again on Sunday I'll write down the pairings for the current menu. I want them so badly.

13. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

[​IMG] just bought a case of this stuff. Really is one of the best prosecco's out there for the price. I prefer it to most champagnes too, especially at like 10 bucks

14. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

incredible purchases, piobare. we were on the arajuo mailing list starting with the 94 vintage. We had our last 94 last year, it was absolutely terrific.

We go to the union square cafe once every year or two. They have a decent corkage policy for nyc so we typically take something good. Last year we took an older arajuo, our waiter knew what it was, so we poured him some. The sommelier came over to take a look at the bottle, what the heck, we poured him some. Turns out you get pretty good service when you pour 1996 arajuo for your waiter at the USC. And the sommelier brought over a couple of glasses of exceptional vintage port after our meal.

15. Piobaire

incredible purchases, piobare. we were on the arajuo mailing list starting with the 94 vintage. We had our last 94 last year, it was absolutely terrific.

We go to the union square cafe once every year or two. They have a decent corkage policy for nyc so we typically take something good. Last year we took an older arajuo, our waiter knew what it was, so we poured him some. The sommelier came over to take a look at the bottle, what the heck, we poured him some. Turns out you get pretty good service when you pour 1996 arajuo for your waiter at the USC. And the sommelier brought over a couple of glasses of exceptional vintage port after our meal.

Thank you [​IMG] Coming from you, that means something to me. Totally agree. Being generous with a pour or taste pays back in spades. How I got access to these purchases, is through a staff member at a place that closed down here about 18 months ago. We had a wine locker on site, so we could just access our stuff while dining. We were always generous with a taste, and staff was the same with us. We were at a large tasting a couple of weeks ago, when an old staff member from that place, who is now Som at another large place, gave us access to their cellar sale.

Wine is such a convivial thing. It lubricates friendship making quite well.