Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. ama

ama Senior member

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

^ Very nice.

3. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I see Pappy there. [​IMG]

4. tricota

tricota Senior member

3 words. Sapphire on sale....[​IMG]

5. ama

ama Senior member

Stagg has arrived!

[​IMG]

I hardly ever open stuff the day I get it, but Stagg is an exception. So chewy and chocolaty. A must buy in my opinion!

(cross posted in bourbon)

6. Piobaire

Grabbed a few things today. The first, I bought just to get the leather bag:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, that's an 06 Caymus Special Select. Release price, $160, WS rating of 94. I'll let you know what I think of it in another 5-10 years!

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I had the 1994 Caymus about 8-9 months ago. Nice, as expected, but I thought the 1994 Insignia had aged much better.

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

A bottle of Remy VSOP, for cocktails, and a bottle of walnut liqueur. I plan to make a drink known as The Angel's Share this weekend. 1 1/4oz Louis 13th 3/4oz walnut liqueur 1/2oz port 1/8oz Chartreuse I plan to make one with Louis, and one with the VSOP.
    Louis 13th? That is....incredibly decadent!
    + like.... a lot on the Crag, the Pappy, and the Parker.
    Stagg has arrived! I hardly ever open stuff the day I get it, but Stagg is an exception. So chewy and chocolaty. A must buy in my opinion! (cross posted in bourbon)
    Me wanty the Stagg. PDC made a drink called the Staggerac for a while that I really wanted to try....
    Grabbed a few things today. The first, I bought just to get the leather bag: Yes, that's an 06 Caymus Special Select. Release price, $160, WS rating of 94. I'll let you know what I think of it in another 5-10 years!
    Nice bag, Fee Bros, R&W, and my my my Caymus! And Genevieve! Tell me what you think of it -- I haven't found something that really works with it an I as of yet. (OK, it's good in a gin Alexander, but it's a lame end for it). ~ H

9. Piobaire

Nice bag, Fee Bros, R&W, and my my my Caymus! And Genevieve! Tell me what you think of it -- I haven't found something that really works with it an I as of yet. (OK, it's good in a gin Alexander, but it's a lame end for it).

~ H

Well, I put the juice of half a lime in a huge tumbler, some Genevieve, then tonic. Huh. Oily is the term I want to use. Very, very not 21st century gin.

What's your Alexander recipe?

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Yeah I don't think the Genevers go over well in the classic sort of cocktails we'd use a London Dry in -- genever is the gin for cocktails of old. And I mean old. Even the Martinez (I believe ) is new enough to have used Old Tom (a sweetened London Dry). Genever is straight up Jerry Thomas stuff. As for the Alexander -- easy enough: 1:1:1 Gin, dark creme de cacao (Kahlua is even fine), 1/2&1/2, and a good few drops bitters. Shake hard, strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with cinnamon (I use true cinnamon, not cassia, for this, as it is fruitier and less, well, cinnamon-y). My bitters also have a profound cinnamon topnote -- VTR house bitters, in fact. Some use heavy cream which gets quite thick with the shaking, but I am afraid for my arteries and do not. ~ H

11. Piobaire

Yeah I don't think the Genevers go over well in the classic sort of cocktails we'd use a London Dry in -- genever is the gin for cocktails of old. And I mean old. Even the Martinez (I believe ) is new enough to have used Old Tom (a sweetened London Dry). Genever is straight up Jerry Thomas stuff.

As for the Alexander -- easy enough: 1:1:1 Gin, dark creme de cacao (Kahlua is even fine), 1/2&1/2, and a good few drops bitters. Shake hard, strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with cinnamon (I use true cinnamon, not cassia, for this, as it is fruitier and less, well, cinnamon-y). My bitters also have a profound cinnamon topnote -- VTR house bitters, in fact.

Some use heavy cream which gets quite thick with the shaking, but I am afraid for my arteries and do not.

~ H

Thanks. I'll give that a try next weekend. Yes, this is going to be hard to fit into a cocktail, but it's interesting to have, in an academic fashion.

12. dl20

dl20 Senior member

Case of weyerbacher's "blithering Idiot" barley wine style Ale and another of Stoudts Double IPA

dl

13. Piobaire

I just scored. Got an email from Sea Smoke, on a limited number of magnum two packs, first come, first served. Logged in at work and bought myself a two pack [​IMG]

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Speaking of, a friend at work offered me some of his Kosta Brown allocation. I probably won't bite at $72 a bottle, but it's nice to have a source.

15. Piobaire

Speaking of, a friend at work offered me some of his Kosta Brown allocation. I probably won't bite at $72 a bottle, but it's nice to have a source.

[​IMG] The only wait list I haven't managed to get off of thanks to this recession. I'd buy a couple bottles, if I was you.