I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Crawford

Crawford Senior member

I was just given a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 Year as a graduation present. It came with the following words of wisdom: "Congratulations. Engineers drink scotch."

Haven't been big into scotch up til this point in my life (this is the first bottle I've personally owned) - but I guess I'll have to learn.

2. Pitt 84

Pitt 84 Member

Had a decent Shiraz with with dinner tonite, a Yellowtail. Now setting back with a dram of Johnnie Green and Stargate Atlantis...[​IMG]

Be seeing you!

Pitt 84

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I was just given a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 Year as a graduation present. It came with the following words of wisdom: "Congratulations. Engineers drink scotch."
    I agree in theory and in practice, however, I don't drink Glenlivet -- a little too hay-y for me. Cragganmore FTW. ~ H

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Another Italian Vermentino di Sardegna, this one in particular was super fresh and still had that extremely young white wine effervescence

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I ordered a six pack of Loring RRV pinots on futures. It was hard to turn down, $26/bottle, shipping included.

As I posted in the WAYdrinking thread, HUGE news on getting off the DuMol wait list. I have a six pack allocation in March 2010. I'll get 3 PN and 3 Syrahs for my first allocation. So delivery is about a year away, but this is a major list to get on.

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I've had the RRV DuMol Pinot Noir, I forget which vintage, but it'll pop up in stores every now and then. I know PJ has had it in the past. My notes indicate that it was quite tight, so be sure to give it some time. The syrah, on the other hand, is quite tough to find, very small production.

I think I'm going to do some Valpocella tonight, its been easy to find ever since that Times article.

7. Piobaire

I've had the RRV DuMol Pinot Noir, I forget which vintage, but it'll pop up in stores every now and then. I know PJ has had it in the past. My notes indicate that it was quite tight, so be sure to give it some time. The syrah, on the other hand, is quite tough to find, very small production. I think I'm going to do some Valpocella tonight, its been easy to find ever since that Times article.
    I have a bottle of their '05 Syrah in the cellar atm. When my favorite, local wine bistro was going out of business last summer, they were serving bottles of DuMol Syrah and PN for $50! That's about $20-25 under retail, and I was drinking it in my favorite place. I still miss my place [​IMG] Just ran a WS search on DuMol. Wow. Starting with a 97 for their 06 RRV PN, the entire page is filled with nothing but 92+ wines. Also, a fairly recent print edition of WS had their recent Syrah release at 96 or 97 and listed as a great buy.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

but alas, it is still a mailing list wine. I'm not a fan of being required to buy $500 worth of wine from a single producer after sitting on their wait list for however many years. Perhaps that is my NYC-bred patience going at it, perhaps because it prevents the majority of the population from ever tasting these wines.

9. Piobaire

but alas, it is still a mailing list wine. I'm not a fan of being required to buy $500 worth of wine from a single producer after sitting on their wait list for however many years. Perhaps that is my NYC-bred patience going at it, perhaps because it prevents the majority of the population from ever tasting these wines.

You're looking at it wrong. $700 of wine for $500. I'm a cheap Scot, this means much to me.

10. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

Just got back from a two week vacation in Oregon. Went out to the coast (Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park), to the Columbia River Valley, various things in Portland, spent four days on Mt. Hood (summited at 6:25am on June 4 after a failed summit bid the night before), and of course went down to the Willamette Valley. Here's my haul:

2007 Penner-Ash Shea Vineyard Pinot Noir
    2006 Erath Prince Hill Pinot Noir
    2007 Maresh Red Hills Vineyard Pinot Noir
    2007 Bella Vida O'Donnel Pinot Noir
    2007 Bella Vida J. Christopher Pinot Noir
    2006 Aramenta Cellars Pinot Noir
    2007 Lange Umpqua Valley Tempranillo
    2006 Tyrus Evan Del Rio Vineyard Syrah
    2005 Argyle Brut
    2006 Argyle Reserve Nuthouse Chardonnay
    2006 Torii Mor Port
    2008 Sokol Blosser Estate Cuvee Rose of Pinot Noir
    Moonstone Coconut Lemongrass Sake

11. Piobaire

^ Nice haul [​IMG]

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

coconut lemongrass sake from Oregon. Add that to the list of "things you weren't cultured enough to know about". Nice score!

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

coconut lemongrass sake from Oregon. Add that to the list of "things you weren't cultured enough to know about". Nice score!
    Now that sounds interesting? Filtered or unfiltered?

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

oh, it wasn't me who got it, it was post #732.

15. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

It's unfiltered.