I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Believe me, I know (did I not say I know it was young to drink?).

You said you knew it, but I don't get the chance to use that word too often, so had to reply.

2. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

drinking some 2004 Chianti (one of the town designated wines) with some pizza from the joint a few blocks down.

And watching some James Bond. It's a rainy friday in New York.

3. Piobaire

Did a little shopping today. Nothing jaw dropping, and only one thing really different or special.

[​IMG]

Figured I'd try a Bourbon this weekend. I haven't tasted it, but the nose is wonderful. Smoke, molasses and vanilla. Will taste this weekend.

[​IMG]

Now, the clear bottle is the something special. It's sotol. This is a drink made from a flowering plant indigenous to the Chihuahua region in Mexico. Sotol is the plant's Spanish name, and it's also called "the desert spoon," due to the base of it being hard and like a spoon. It is made like artisnal mezcal, and is a light, tasty drink, very similar to good tequila. I purchased the repasodo version.

[​IMG]

My wife spotted a lychee flavored vodka, and wanted it. Please forgive her.

[​IMG]

A few well ranked, but modestly priced ($20 price point), drinking wines.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

looks like somebody is going to be making some Vesper Martinis.

I'm rocking some inexpensive Chilean Cab tonight. I think it'll pair nicely with some NYC street food.

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Did a little shopping today. Nothing jaw dropping, and only one thing really different or special. Figured I'd try a Bourbon this weekend. I haven't tasted it, but the nose is wonderful. Smoke, molasses and vanilla. Will taste this weekend. [​IMG] Now, the clear bottle is the something special. It's sotol. This is a drink made from a flowering plant indigenous to the Chihuahua region in Mexico. Sotol is the plant's Spanish name, and it's also called "the desert spoon," due to the base of it being hard and like a spoon. It is made like artisnal mezcal, and is a light, tasty drink, very similar to good tequila. I purchased the repasodo version. [​IMG] My wife spotted a lychee flavored vodka, and wanted it. Please forgive her. \\
    Pio! Seriously, man, I'm so excited for you. You got some awesome stuff right there. Sotol FTW! An incredible bartender by the name of Bobby at this freaking hole-in-the-wall-that-really-wasn't-because-it-had-awesome-bartenders-and-a-very-serious-bar BBQ dive in Houston by the the name of Beaver's introduced me to it. Spirit of Daisywheel something-or-other. It's awesome. And White Lillet! Look up my recipe for the Savoy Corpse Reviver #2 here. Since the fee verte dances around your bar you can make one for real. And if some Luxardo Maraschino was about, you could make my signature cocktail..... ~ H

6. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Just got these bottles for a b-day gift. Don't know too much about them right now...researching as we speak...anyone here have any experince with either of them?

[​IMG]

7. Robert

Robert Senior member

Recently bought Dogfish's Immort Ale. A really decent barley wine brew. Around 11% ABV, as I recall, and one of the best in this style I've ever tasted, especially in domestics. A bit pricey though at $14 a four-pack.

8. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Bought a bottle of Remy Martin XO to give to my father for his 50th Wedding Anniversary this weekend.
    [​IMG]

While I was there I picked up 4 more half-bottles of the '03 Chateau Guiraud on sale and another bottle of the Cambria Pinot (already gone through the two bottles we bought last week).

9. Piobaire

Nice Mark!

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

nothing fancy, just some crisp Vermentino

11. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Luis Canas Reserva 2002
    [​IMG]

Don Rodolfo Tannat 2007
    [​IMG]

12. skidsm

skidsm Senior member

Friday evening after work picked up bottles of

Laphroig 10
    Balvenie Doublewood (for a gentle single-malt, I really like this -- almost like a bourbon with the cask finish it has)
    white Lillet

13. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

[​IMG]

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

The Fleur is a soild value Pinot Noir, last time I had it I was rather surprised for an inexpensive Cali Pinot

15. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

The Fleur is a soild value Pinot Noir, last time I had it I was rather surprised for an inexpensive Cali Pinot

Cool! I'm glad to hear that. I haven't popped it yet but look forward to it.