I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Huntsman, Mar 9, 2008.

1. skidsm

skidsm Senior member

Lillet over ice is also solid.

+1. Nothing better for summertime.

2. samus

samus Senior member

I rocked the vesper all summer, but be sure to get some quality gin. The Hendrick's became my preferred wepon of choice.

Also, Lillet over ice is also solid.

Excellent, Hendrick's is also a favorite of mine. Unfortunately I don't have an excuse to buy more gin until I finish my opened bottle of Bombay sapphire.

Another question: how do I store the Lillet after opening? I hope it keeps more like an aperitif than a wine.

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

4. samus

samus Senior member

Two, offhand:

The Savoy Corpse Reviver II:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=1388

My White Martini:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=2150

~ H

Thanks! I've also been meaning to try St Germain so that's my excuse to buy some of that too. Unfortunately for the White Martini, it sounds delicious but I don't know if I can get a hold of any Maraschino. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in its infinite wisdom, does not seem to stock it in their state-run liquor stores. Suggestions for a replacement?

5. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

They seem to make some decent daily drinkers.

I was surprised. Thought I'd be plonked! Some balance and flavour. Most plonk has zero balance.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I was surprised. Thought I'd be plonked! Some balance and flavour. Most plonk has zero balance.

There are still some nice daily drinkers, at modest prices. I notice some of the more premium makers, and marking down too. Just got a Loring allocation, $40 including shipping, all vineyards. They're feeling the pinch and acting proactively.

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Thanks! I've also been meaning to try St Germain so that's my excuse to buy some of that too. Unfortunately for the White Martini, it sounds delicious but I don't know if I can get a hold of any Maraschino. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in its infinite wisdom, does not seem to stock it in their state-run liquor stores. Suggestions for a replacement?
    Ah, one of those states. Well, I'd suggest that you can replace it with St. Germain, for a more citrusy twist on the original. I've done that, it's fine, but you might need a little more. After that, well, pick up some Maraschino the next time you are out of the Commonwealth. ~ H

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Excellent, Hendrick's is also a favorite of mine. Unfortunately I don't have an excuse to buy more gin until I finish my opened bottle of Bombay sapphire.

Another question: how do I store the Lillet after opening? I hope it keeps more like an aperitif than a wine.

I always kept it in the fridge, mostly because I didn't want to learn if it would go bad if I didn't. When making my vespers, I'd usually pump up the Lillet to a full part rather than half - it's too flavorful!

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Just got a Loring allocation, $40 including shipping, all vineyards. They're feeling the pinch and acting proactively.

I enjoyed that Graham Family Vineyard I picked up for $22 a bottle at my store. $40 is a little much for what I thought it was, there's some really stellar brunellos coming out at around $40, or even some 2005 Bordeaux still lingering that I'd prefer for that price.

10. samus

samus Senior member

I always kept it in the fridge, mostly because I didn't want to learn if it would go bad if I didn't. When making my vespers, I'd usually pump up the Lillet to a full part rather than half - it's too flavorful!

Thanks again. I enjoyed the Vesper quite a bit last night and next time I will try it with more Lillet. I also tried the Lillet rocks - man, is it sweet! Too much for me I think, but I'll have to give it another go when it gets nice and warm out.

11. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Thanks again. I enjoyed the Vesper quite a bit last night and next time I will try it with more Lillet. I also tried the Lillet rocks - man, is it sweet! Too much for me I think, but I'll have to give it another go when it gets nice and warm out.

yeah it is sweet, I liked having it after dinner with a dry dessert to match. I treated it more like a dessert wine than a cocktail when served on its own. Pick up some not so sweet cakes or cookies at an Italian bakery and you'll see what it's all about.

12. Piobaire

I enjoyed that Graham Family Vineyard I picked up for $22 a bottle at my store. $40 is a little much for what I thought it was, there's some really stellar brunellos coming out at around $40, or even some 2005 Bordeaux still lingering that I'd prefer for that price.

That wasn't on this allocation list. Off the top of my head, it was some premiere vineyards, like Garys', Clos Pepe, Caragasi, and Psioni. When you figure that covers shipping also, that is a seriously good price.

13. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

thanks to coupon codes, I picked up a few right banks 2005 Bordeaux at nice prices:

Chateau Sansonnet, $29
    Chateau Haut Brisson, $37

Both had shipping included, I'm going to let these sit for a decade before I consider the pop.

14. Piobaire

thanks to coupon codes, I picked up a few right banks 2005 Bordeaux at nice prices:

Chateau Sansonnet, $29
    Chateau Haut Brisson, $37

Both had shipping included, I'm going to let these sit for a decade before I consider the pop.

Very nice! A great vintage.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

Very nice! A great vintage.

yeah, I haven't really picked any 2005's up, so finally I was like - yeah, I'll get a hanful (i'm still scoping out a few bottles). Wine library really does have some excellent prices, and then I had some further discount codes, both of these wines were orignally sold for $50 at the site.