• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just bought a... (non clothing item)

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
I just bought a similar 8-piece set on discount.

I also picked up a 10" chef's knife which fits into the top slot. The Pro S line seems to be comparable to the Wusthof classic line. I find the handles a bit more comfortable.

Are the Henckel's handles more rounded than the Wusthof Classic handles?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
I bought my first Blu-Ray, the hideous Blade Runner Ultimate Mega Neo-Collector's Edition Final Tuned Plus. As someone with little money who spent thousands of dollars on DVDs last year (the $300 John Ford Box, Criterion's Berlin Alexanderplatz, Gaumont's Histoire(s) du Cinema, etc.), dipping into another format does not bode well for my financial future.
confused.gif

I've been watching the featurettes and whatnot for DAYS now. God I love new media. The "deleted and extended scenes" (under "fabrication" in the enhancement archive) is WAY COOL. Its like a mini narrative of BR using the extended voiceover, deleted, extended, and alternate scenes. Its like watching the same movie through someone else's eyes. Truly amazing. It has to be like 40 minutes long. Totally worth it.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I've been watching the featurettes and whatnot for DAYS now. God I love new media.

The "deleted and extended scenes" (under "fabrication" in the enhancement archive) is WAY COOL. Its like a mini narrative of BR using the extended voiceover, deleted, extended, and alternate scenes. Its like watching the same movie through someone else's eyes. Truly amazing. It has to be like 40 minutes long. Totally worth it.

Bloody, hell, I forgot about that! I have not watched the disc with the archive...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Bloody, hell, I forgot about that! I have not watched the disc with the archive...
So much good stuff. I'd also highly recommend the featurette on Jordan Cronenweth which is also brilliant. What an amazing cinematographer.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much good stuff.
I'd also highly recommend the featurette on Jordan Cronenweth which is also brilliant. What an amazing cinematographer.

So far I have only watched the new cut and the "Making Of" featurette. I completely forgot that there are two more DVDs!

I must say that even through a crappy 7 year old AIwa stereo hooked up to a 27" or so analog CRT, the new cut looked and sounded gorgeous!

P.s. I loved the tidbits about E.J. Olmos' Hungarian inanities
lol8[1].gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
So far I have only watched the new cut and the "Making Of" featurette. I completely forgot that there are two more DVDs! I must say that even through a crappy 7 year old AIwa stereo hooked up to a 27" or so analog CRT, the new cut looked and sounded gorgeous! P.s. I loved the tidbits about E.J. Olmos' Hungarian inanities
lol8[1].gif

Well technically, there is the Final Cut disk, the Dangerous Days disk, the Original Theatrical release in both US and International flavors/Directors Cut disk, the Archive disk, and the workprint disk. I've pretty much made my way through from beginning to end. I have a few peices of Archive material left to watch, and the workprint. And then I'm done. But yeah... there is a TON of stuff you haven't seen. And the Final Cut is brilliant. It's everything I could have hoped for.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Very nice fixture, who is it made by? Thanks.
It's unmarked, but judging from the bakelite fixtures, it's 1920s. I'd guess Danish or German.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have been looking for something similar for the dining room. Thinking of ordering this from Rejuvenation in Portland OR. They do customizable reproduction fixtures from stock period designs.
2madetoorderxo3.png

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well technically, there is the Final Cut disk, the Dangerous Days disk, the Original Theatrical release in both US and International flavors/Directors Cut disk, the Archive disk, and the workprint disk. I've pretty much made my way through from beginning to end. I have a few peices of Archive material left to watch, and the workprint. And then I'm done.

But yeah... there is a TON of stuff you haven't seen. And the Final Cut is brilliant. It's everything I could have hoped for.

As somebody who loved the original, am I even going to like these versions?
confused.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered this baby from Mr. Itou-sama....

Img256.jpg

smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
As somebody who loved the original, am I even going to like these versions?
confused.gif

I don't see how you could not.

I mean, when you say, you like the "original" I assume you mean the US Theatrical Release w/ the Harrison Ford voiceover.

FWIW, The general consensus is that The USTR is a lesser movie than the International Theatrical Release, which is considered a lesser film than The Directors Cut, which is considered a lesser version of The Final Cut.

There are sooome people out there who still like the Theatrical releases (with the voiceover) better. Most think the voiceover is a blunt object that pulverizes the emotional messages of the movie with its horrible clumsiness. (which is why anything with the voiceover is generally considered the lesser versions)

The workprint was only shown publicly one or maybe two times, and basically it was a rough draft that wasn't intended to ever see final production. It has some very interesting additions though, which aren't found on any of the other versions, so I guess for a completist, it's important to have.

I know it's confusing, but the history of the film, why there are so many versions of it, and the completely different endings and emotional and thematic points in the different versions is well explained in the Dangerous Days documentary, and is one of the most amazing things about the movie, IMO.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
I just bought a similar 8-piece set on discount.

I also picked up a 10" chef's knife which fits into the top slot. The Pro S line seems to be comparable to the Wusthof classic line. I find the handles a bit more comfortable.

I really enjoy my Pro S knives -- the eight inch Chef's particularly. Good show.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I treated myself to an Alberto Giacometti lamp "Tete du Femme". I was inspired by the Picasso Museum at the Marais in Paris where they had Giamomettis everywhere!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads