1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I just bought a... (non clothing item)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tokyo Slim, May 12, 2006.

1. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

What do you think of the lens, I'm looking at that one now as a basic walkaround lens. I think it's a bit expensive for not having sealed construction but there just aren't any other options. The tamron 17-50 f2.8 is probably just as sharp and 1/2 the cost but the no IS bugs me.

Initially I was just gonna do the 17-85 due to its lower cost and level 2 IS but after seeing the distortion at 17mm and lack of depth of field with the relatively high f stop it turned me off.

The f2.8 just would seem to come in handy much more often. I've read that using a filter full time will cut down on the dust entering the frame.

I placed the order for it and had it delivered to my house in MD to which I will be going this thursday (to save tax since I ordered it from J and R). My buddy has the same lens and he loves it. He thinks its the perfect/ best walk around, regular use lens for his camera. I would want IS as well. I thought the 2.8 would come in handy like you said and it holds it through out the zoom range which is awesome. I also read that the picture quality is on par with the L series lenses because it uses L series lense elements.

As for the dust Ive heard similar things about using a filter. It sucks that it doesnt have dust seals like the L series and that it costs a lot. I did not get it at first but then I regretted not buying it so I sent the other lens back and got this one...

I got it for 950 from J and R, an authorized canon dealer... So its like 200 less than MSRP and its US market.

2. ms244

ms244 Senior member

[​IMG] Hopefully this will keep me from freezing in my garage. Why did I wait to buy one after half the country is in a snow storm, instead of six weeks ago when everyone is desperately bidding them up on the bay? [​IMG] LK, where do you find these animal oddities?

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

LK, where do you find these animal oddities?

They pop up in the oddest places. Some things, of course, are illegal to traffic in so you'll have to look around at private sales, etc.

4. visionology

visionology Senior member

I placed the order for it and had it delivered to my house in MD to which I will be going this thursday (to save tax since I ordered it from J and R). My buddy has the same lens and he loves it. He thinks its the perfect/ best walk around, regular use lens for his camera. I would want IS as well. I thought the 2.8 would come in handy like you said and it holds it through out the zoom range which is awesome. I also read that the picture quality is on par with the L series lenses because it uses L series lense elements.

As for the dust Ive heard similar things about using a filter. It sucks that it doesnt have dust seals like the L series and that it costs a lot. I did not get it at first but then I regretted not buying it so I sent the other lens back and got this one...

I got it for 950 from J and R, an authorized canon dealer... So its like 200 less than MSRP and its US market.

Great, definitely post some sample pics when you get it. It's L class picture quality from everything I've read although I've never seen one in person to be honest. The only things not giving it the L are the weather sealing and the EF-S.

I found a guy selling his for $820/hardly used w/hood (originally bought at B&H) because he's moving to a full frame 1D and the EF-S is useless. I almost jumped on it but really wanted it for a trip this week and don't think I'll get it in time.

I hope you got the Canon instant rebate (it's $70 on this lens) but was probably included in the price at J&R. They've been moving away from the send in rebates it seems like I used to do and moving to instant ones.

I always have wondered what the markup is on lenses and what the cost to manufacture truly is. I can't imagine a lens costing more than a couple hundred dollars to make unless they are rolling the r&d costs into the lenses. Or perhaps they just figure that professionals typically buy their L series lenses so they just price them accordingly knowing they have to buy them to make a living.

5. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think "repulsive" even begins to describe this...thing.
    Much as it pains me to agree with Consuela, I agree. It looks like some sort of vermin you caught digging in your trash. That said, I found that my coffee place has started stocking Kopi Luak coffee, which is the Indonesian coffee bean processed by the digestive and excretory system of the animal whose skin you have, and I confess I am curious to try a cup. No "2 girls" though.
    Not as bad as the dodo chair or elephant foot stool though. LK is whack.
    Dude, don't knock the Dodo chair. I have one.
    how about an original Aristotle Onassis' "whale foreskin bar stool"?
    When one comes up on ebay, I imagine it'll be a LabelKing/SoCal2LiveCrew bidding smackdown.

6. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

Great, definitely post some sample pics when you get it. It's L class picture quality from everything I've read although I've never seen one in person to be honest. The only things not giving it the L are the weather sealing and the EF-S.

I found a guy selling his for $820/hardly used w/hood (originally bought at B&H) because he's moving to a full frame 1D and the EF-S is useless. I almost jumped on it but really wanted it for a trip this week and don't think I'll get it in time.

I hope you got the Canon instant rebate (it's $70 on this lens) but was probably included in the price at J&R. They've been moving away from the send in rebates it seems like I used to do and moving to instant ones.

I always have wondered what the markup is on lenses and what the cost to manufacture truly is. I can't imagine a lens costing more than a couple hundred dollars to make unless they are rolling the r&d costs into the lenses. Or perhaps they just figure that professionals typically buy their L series lenses so they just price them accordingly knowing they have to buy them to make a living.

Yea sure will.

In the mean while if you have not done so already:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon_17-55mm/pool/

I did get the instant 70 dollar rebate with J and R.

7. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Just bought a carbon road bike and everything else (pedals, shoes, helmet, etc.) I don't ride, but now I have a reason to.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

Did you see my rhino foot ashtray?

It's whickety whack.

It cuts like a vorpal blade?

--Andre

9. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

--Andre

A what now? Is that some GQGeek MMORPG term?

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

JABBERWOCKY
    Lewis Carroll
    (from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
    Long time the manxome foe he sought --
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
    And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head
    He went galumphing back.

"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
    Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
    O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
    He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

11. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

--Andre

Didn't Little Boy Blue have one?

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Much as it pains me to agree with Consuela, I agree. It looks like some sort of vermin you caught digging in your trash. That said, I found that my coffee place has started stocking Kopi Luak coffee, which is the Indonesian coffee bean processed by the digestive and excretory system of the animal whose skin you have, and I confess I am curious to try a cup. No "2 girls" though.Dude, don't knock the Dodo chair. I have one.When one comes up on ebay, I imagine it'll be a LabelKing/SoCal2LiveCrew bidding smackdown.

That coffee sounds intriguing. What exactly is the added benefit of civet-enhanced coffee?

13. eg1

eg1 Senior member

That coffee sounds intriguing. What exactly is the added benefit of civet-enhanced coffee?

Apparently there are two factors: one, the creature selects only the choicest, most perfectly mature fruit to eat as part of its foraging process, and two, that its digestive enzymes somehow enhance the flavour of the beans.

I have heard of it before, but have never tried it. Heck, Starbucks is exotic for me ... [​IMG]

14. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Bought a Sony KDS 50A3000 RPTV LCoS and a Samsung BluRay Player BDP-1400. Very fun! 1080P is the only way to watch movies.

15. lost in va

lost in va Senior member

Bought this for my father for christmas:

[​IMG]

While I was at it I picked up these for myself:

[​IMG]

16. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Nice. Sennheiser makes good products.

17. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

To fulfill ones daily requirement of animal feces.

18. riveroaks

riveroaks Senior member

To fulfill ones daily requirement of animal feces.

[​IMG]

19. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Senior member

Nice. Two excellent choices.

20. fortune

fortune Senior member

Nice. Sennheiser makes good products.

True. Love my sennys. I use icemats now but the sennheisers are very quality headphones. Good buy. I'm sure he'll be happy.