• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just bought a... (non clothing item)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

I thought you had an HD projection unit? Or was it just the furniture piece you bought in that photo?

I do. I bought the cabinet. It's low and wide and can hold 350lbs on each shelf, which is important bc mcintosh amps weigh 100+lbs. Center speaker will go wher the tv is in the pic. It was tough finding something that could accommodate real stereo gear and an oversized center speaker. Most cabinets are higher and I didn't want the top of the speaker/cabinet too close to the edge of the screen whose lower edge is just a bit over 30" from the floor. I originally wanted to put the center on a shelf within the rack but shelves are never high enough.

To the other poster, I boughthe bed with those horizontal wood pieces and shelves.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I do. I bought the cabinet. It's low and wide and can hold 350lbs on each shelf, which is important bc mcintosh amps weigh 100+lbs. Center speaker will go wher the tv is in the pic. It was tough finding something that could accommodate real stereo gear and an oversized center speaker. Most cabinets are higher and I didn't want the top of the speaker/cabinet too close to the edge of the screen whose lower edge is just a bit over 30" from the floor. I originally wanted to put the center on a shelf within the rack but shelves are never high enough.

To the other poster, I boughthe bed with those horizontal wood pieces and shelves.

I have that same problem (although my stereo gear is less "real").

So much of the furniture I have looked at seems perfect until I realize it only has 15 inches of depth. Some of these units are quite large too--how are people filling them up with gear if they don't even have the kind of system that takes an average sized reciever (I don't know of any HDMI capable 5.1 recievers that can fit in 15 or so inches with cables...)

I like the thing you picked up although it isn't quite what I am looking for (and is probably out of my price range)...I am thinking about going DIY

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

These pieces don't look like they'll gel together or create an interesting contrast....

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HTC Desire Z
size.jpg
Didn't really need a new phone but what the hell.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Seems there is a new droid/android/robo phone every month LOL.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Seems there is a new droid/android/robo phone every month LOL.

Quicker, I think. The Desire Z is so new the guy in the store hadn't even held it yet, ha ha.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
These pieces don't look like they'll gel together or create an interesting contrast....
Ya... I'm honestly past caring and I don't have time to keep looking. The white shelves will go along a back wall and the AV rack will go at the front of the room. With my existing furniture there's not a whole lot I can do to make it look better short of replacing it. I've looked extensively and debated replacing, but in the next couple years, one of two things will happen: I'll either buy a place or move to the ME. Either way, i'll be replacing or throwing out all my furniture. If I do buy a place, I'll want to buy furniture that suits the style and size of the space. I entertained the idea of getting something custom made, but it's just not worth the money given the uncertainty. That rack is the cheapest I can find that will the mcintosh gear and a revel ultima2 center channel that I hope to buy over the coming year. The other crap is from ikea so I won't feel bad when I throw it out in 2 years.
Originally Posted by otc
I have that same problem (although my stereo gear is less "real"). So much of the furniture I have looked at seems perfect until I realize it only has 15 inches of depth. Some of these units are quite large too--how are people filling them up with gear if they don't even have the kind of system that takes an average sized reciever (I don't know of any HDMI capable 5.1 recievers that can fit in 15 or so inches with cables...) I like the thing you picked up although it isn't quite what I am looking for (and is probably out of my price range)...I am thinking about going DIY
The salamander designs stuff isn't too expensive, relatively speaking... As configured in the pic, that unit cost about $1100. Any other option would cost far more. FYI, if I just got the base rack, without doors and sides, the cost would have only been 600ish. I got doors because I want to hide my htpc, ps3, and power conditioner. The only gear I want visible is the mcintosh. The nice thing about these is that the shelves themselves are about 18" deep, but you can get an extended rear cover that gives you extra depth for cables if you have equipment that requires the full 18". The front doors, bottom, and rear are also perforated to allow airflow.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To replace the SR60i's that I accidentally broke.

225i.jpg

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just laughed at this because I just read AF and AY arguing about whether Grado sucks or not in the new headphones thread. Where were you F***ers yesterday before I spent $100 on a new pair of Grado's?

I liked my 60i's for 40 something bucks. I like the 225i's for $100.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Nice! I too was torn between that and the S95. The Canon won on size.

yeah, the lx5's pretty nice. I was also on the fence between this and the s95 but my past 2 cameras were canons and I liked what I saw with the lx3

Kookz

Reaction score
I ordered the S95 yesterday. After playing with my brother's S90 and seeing the results, I was sold. I've got a big trip planned for this winter so I'm looking forward to putting it to use.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went on a mini shopping spree at World Market yesterday. Walked in to look around and walked out with

Leather bed - headboard, footbard, legs and bedrail
pCPWM-7334484v300x300.jpg

I was briefly tempted to get this (same model but cloth instead of leather)
pCPWM-7334475v300x300.jpg

Leather ottoman with removable top for storage (this will act as a footrest obv but also a sometime coffee table)
pCPWM-8310963v300x300.jpg

Seriously considered this but thought it may be too large for my smallish sitting room.
pCPWM-8310961v300x300.jpg

Finally, got a full length mirror with a thick wooden frame (no pics).

Total: $644

I still need a dining table and a few rugs, but I'd prefer that all my furniture isn't from the same store.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my plycraft back from repair/upholstery place. Terrible pic, sorry.
N7WRo.jpg
Total cost Chair: $200 Leather: $140 Upholstery work and repair: $375 OK so it wasn't a bargain, but I'm happy with the result
smile.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Got my plycraft back from repair/upholstery place. Terrible pic, sorry.
N7WRo.jpg
Total cost Chair: $200 Leather: $140 Upholstery work and repair: $375 OK so it wasn't a bargain, but I'm happy with the result
smile.gif

pic is fine, chair is knockoff
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads