1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I just bought a... (non clothing item)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tokyo Slim, May 12, 2006.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

At the most basic level it's providing expandable raid storage for my media library. I had several large hard drives in my computer, but had reached the limit of drives for my case (which is a big one). Blu-rays are 25gb each, on average, once they've been stripped of menus/extras, so the space goes pretty quickly. I'm also putting all my documents, music and RAW camera files there so that i can use software from any computer and access the same files.

It's not just dumb nas storage either. It's got several built-in servers to it, including web/database, so that i can run xbmc (a media center app) from it and have it synced on every computer, for instance. I can start a movie on the projector in the living room, pause it, and then resume from bedroom in same location. I can publish services to the internet to access all my stuff remotely too.

The reason I'd put it off before was partly because i wasn't sure how loud it'd be. I'd read it was fairly quiet, but other people's definition of quiet doesn't normally match mine when it comes to computers. Every computer I build for my place needs to be below ambient noise levels. I don't want to hear them, ever. I've spent tons of extra money building them that way. Finding a solution which has the capacity/expandability that I need while staying away from enterprise gear (which doesn't care about being loud because it goes in a server room), wasn't always easy. Don't know if you've ever heard an enterprise disk array before, but they tend to sound like helicopters. Thankfully, it is quiet. It'll put the drives to sleep when not in use and takes advantage of wake-on-lan as well. You can even create a schedule for the device to sleep/wake-up, so for the first time in a while, I can actually put my PCs to sleep.

I'm very impressed with the unit so far. Tons of features. Quick list: torrent downloads, itunes/media center, surveillance (can run 20 IP cameras from it), mysql database, ftp, audio streaming, torrent client, and i think you can add apps too.

Oh and I will run my vmware environment from it now instead of my local computer.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. Willie5566

Willie5566 Well-Known Member

Apparently, he is backing up the data for half of the world.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Not quite. I only started with 15TB. :embar:

4. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last night I had a strange dream that I had a ukulele, and was learning to play it. First I did some jazz chords, then all of a sudden I was shredding on it Joe Satriani/Steve Vai style like I used to on guitar.
    Today during my lunch break I ran out to the music store and got me one of these. Spruce top, gold tuners. Gig bag included. I bought a new chromatic tuner too.

5. Ghast

Ghast Member

Technically not a clothing item:[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  6. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Lab Series Active Hand Cream and Dolce & Gabanna The One

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition blu-ray box set. :slayer:

15 discs worth of LotR!!

8. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

just a few knick knacks for home entertaining:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (with 17" rims and moon roof). The moon roof is a bit ridiculous because it covers the entire roof. Plus most of the time they'll be bikes on a rack on the roof so all I'll really have is a view of the bikes - god forbid a bike gets jolted loose and crashes right through the glass roof...

I also am enamored with the new clean diesel engine...hopefully I'll maximize it during super road trips on the highways...

I actually loved the NYC way (renting different cars for weekend/vacations - then proceeding to run the rental cars into the ground not caring about the car), I know parking is going to be hard at times... but all the rental companies and even zipcar are raising/will raise their rates 20-30%... It makes more sense just to finance a car - if you spend more than $200 a month on rentals...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  10. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

love the car, LawrenceMD, especially the roof racks. I just purchased a 2011 Subaru Legacy but they didn't offer the roof racks as an option. ill have to go the aftermarket route

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

oh btw, if your photo is any indication, you are gonna have one hellava time parking that in NYC. lulz

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

williamsburg isn't too bad for parking... there's always going to be a space but it'll be a couple blocks away...

I really wanted a subaru also... we looked at all sorts of models... but you're right the car is actually very very large (SUV-like footprint) and with the back seats folded it around 60 cubic feet. This way we can invite friends to road trips/and have a car thats family friendly if my wife and I make a "mistake"...

13. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

That's an awesome photo. I showed this to my wife and she was so confused, thinking it was of two of our cats since they both get into the dishwasher like this as well. Congratulations! They are beautiful.

14. poissa

poissa Well-Known Member

Blackburn AirTower 4 Pump for my bicycle, motorcycle, and car. boom!

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

car?

16. poissa

poissa Well-Known Member

it's got interchangeable valves, so technically it could be used for both. we'll see if it gets any use for cars. It's quite a pain in the arse to move the air compressor, plug it in, etc.

17. Laurens

Laurens Well-Known Member

The shiny bit of aluminum on my desk:

I quite desperately needed a replacement for my Powerbook G4 and non unibody Macbook Pro which both lacked a screen, (unfortunate accident.)
    It's the 15 inch base model, and I put in an HDcaddy instead of the superdrive, moved the original hard drive to the caddy and installed an OCZ Vertex 3 in the original hard drive bay.
    Result: A ridiculously fast machine, boots up in around 15 seconds but I still have plenty of storage due to having two drives.

[​IMG]

18. otc

otc Well-Known Member

higher volume pumps work just fine on cars.

The key is that car tires are actually very low pressure compared to bicycles so its not like the pump won't work. The only problem is that there is far more air in a car tire so if you don't have a really high volume pump, it will take a long time. Of course if you are just down 5psi, its easier to just pump it up with a bike pump than drive to a gas station or drag out a compressor (I used a mediocre bike pump on my motorcycle and it didn't even take *that* long to get it up 10psi)

I would hate to have to pump 15psi into a car tire with a mini pump though...those are pretty much bicycle only.

19. rohde88

rohde88 Well-Known Member

Blackburn makes good pumps. You should get a lot of miles out of it.

20. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Can't wait to spin it up.