1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I just bought a... (non clothing item)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tokyo Slim, May 12, 2006.

1. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I really, really like that Canon 50mm f/1.4. It's the first lens I got, and the only one I had...until today when his friend arrived:

[​IMG]

And a test shot from my balcony:

[​IMG]

Nice. But if I remember right you have the EOS 5D and therefore a full frame camera, with my crop the 50mm behaves more like 80mm. When I give it back I'll most likely opt for the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 to replace it.

2. zatarregaza

zatarregaza Senior member

a faucet for the kitchen
    [​IMG]

Any ideas on where to get a faucet like this at a decent price from a reputable manufacturer? How has this one held up for you?

I bought one of these on eBay for what I thought was a good price - I don't know who the manufacturer is, but I know it came from China. Anyway, it's been less than 3 years and I already have to replace it. The faucet doesn't close all the way and the tube to the hand sprayer is fraying and leaking as well.

I tried at faucetdirect.com and overstock. Any specific manufacturers I should be looking at?

3. jet

jet Senior member

Consider yourself lucky 3 years is a long time for a cheap item to last.

4. gwolf

gwolf Senior member

franke like it sez on the box.

5. zatarregaza

zatarregaza Senior member

franke like it sez on the box.

Maybe I should've described my price range as something other than "decent price." This Franke faucet goes for $900. I'm looking for something quite a bit less.

Consider yourself lucky 3 years is a long time for a cheap item to last.

3 years is a long time for a shoddy piece of plumbing. Most of the plumbing fixtures in the house I moved into were from the 70's and 80's (the house was built in 1964). I was hoping to get something that would last a good 10 years at least.

6. eg1

eg1 Senior member

A tan Piel Frama case for my Blackberry Playbook

http://www.pielframa.com/blackberry-...-tan-cases.htm

Just arrived this morning -- it has to be better than the silly neoprene sleeve that came with the damned thing ... [​IMG]

I've also ordered a DODOcase for it, but that will take rather longer to arrive.

7. jet

jet Senior member

Maybe I should've described my price range as something other than "decent price." This Franke faucet goes for $900. I'm looking for something quite a bit less.

3 years is a long time for a shoddy piece of plumbing. Most of the plumbing fixtures in the house I moved into were from the 70's and 80's (the house was built in 1964). I was hoping to get something that would last a good 10 years at least.

This is highly optimistic. A cheap faucet is more expensive in the long run.

8. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

Whole foods, where you too can spend $17 on a toothbrush and toothpaste.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

10. jet

jet Senior member

Why would you buy that? Sonicare + crest vivid white = ftmfw

11. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I have a sonic care at home. this is part of my growing dopp kit for my desk at work.

I wanted to try out that toothbrush...just to see how it is I've always wondered about it....says it lasts 9 months. Good coverage when brushing the teeth, doesn't really reach in the back teeth though since its so wide.

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

You bought a toothbrush that you know won't adequately brush all your teeth?

13. jet

jet Senior member

+1

In the office I just use a plain elgydium brush and same toothpaste or marvis in my dopp kit. Used to have two sonicares but one took a shit and the battery isn't replaceable, would have taken that one to work.

14. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

You bought a toothbrush that you know won't adequately brush all your teeth?

yeah. thought it would...just more interested in trying it out more than anything.

15. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I just use a normal, plain, everyday toothbrush. Spending that kind of cash on a fancy one seem like a big waste of money to me.

16. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

the toothbrush itself was $9. a few bucks more than a normal toothbrush and it supposedly lasts longer (it said 9 months on the package). I am getting used to it, the coverage of the bristles is nicer since it brushes the top and bottom teeth quicker.

17. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

the toothbrush itself was $9. a few bucks more than a normal toothbrush and it supposedly lasts longer (it said 9 months on the package). I am getting used to it, the coverage of the bristles is nicer since it brushes the top and bottom teeth quicker.
    9 months is a long time in bacterial years.

18. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

This is highly optimistic. A cheap faucet is more expensive in the long run.

I just redid my bathroom and was appalled at the prices one pays for decent plumbing equipment. $1500 for a toilet bowl wtf.

19. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

20. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    9 months is a long time in bacterial years.

You can always put it in boiling water for a few minutes. I know some people who do this to extend the life of their toothbrushes.