Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I just bought a... (non clothing item)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tokyo Slim, May 12, 2006.

1. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

My MMORPG fantasies involve female wood-elves, thank you very much.
    self-pwn

That's my character. You sick freak!
    self-pwn squared.

Oh, the humanity . . . if it can be called humanity. [​IMG]

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I just bought a root canal!
    But I only received half of it. The other half is going to be installed in a couple weeks.

3. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Well, I kinda sorta (really) wanted a Gransfors Bruks, but didn't want to drop the $$$ on a seasonal-use item that will probably rust anyway. If it splits oak efficiently then I'm a happy man.

Gransfors Bruks to Axes is what Absolute vodka is to liquor.
    Both are inferior to Finish products (Fiskars & Finlandia Vodka), but superior in advertisment and packaging.

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Lens interchangeability is one of the reasons that pushed me over the edge. Nikon is great in this respect. Plus, the FE can use practically every single lens Nikon has ever produced (with very few exceptions). BTW, I got the camera today. It's in pristine condition. I can't find a single issue with it, except that the seller didn't include a strap. Now, I have to hunt for a thin leather strap on fleabay.
    Yah, the FE has a wider list of useable lenses than the newer cameras, regardless of metering modes and such -- a few of my TCs and such don't work on the 200. And there is so much out there to choose from!
    Some of the manual focus Nikkors are a fantastic bargain. You'll want to get at least mostly AI lenses, but they should be easy to find and cheap. The pre-AI lenses will be cheaper, but to use them you'll have to flip up the aperture ring link tab and use stop-down metering. I used to do this with my FM and it never bothered me a bit. A couple of lenses you might consider are the 105mm f2.5, which is legendary as a portrait lens, and the 80-200 f4.5 one-touch zoom. Prices for these, at least in Tokyo, are under $100!
    I seriously should go to Tokyo. Those are excellent prices, or perhaps its just that I like really weird stuff. Some of my AI/AI-S glass: 200-600mm f/9.5 superzoom 58mm f1.4 Nocturnal 105mm f2.5 105mm Micro Nikkor 85mm f/2 28mm f/2 16mm full frame fisheye In AI, I'm looking for : 35mm f/2 180mm f/2.8 300mm f/4 80-200 f/2,8 Since I love naturally-lighted lowlight work, I dream of: 35mm f/1.4 28mm f/1.4 15mm f/3.5 rectilinear All the same, my next purchase will probably be the 20-35mm f.2.8 AF Zoom. ~h

5. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Huntsman,

That's an outstanding collection! However, I believe you mean the 58mm f1.2 Noct-Nikkor. I have actually seen very few of those and they are very expensive, but the 55mm f1.2 Nikkor is dirt cheap. I was once advised to "avoid it like the plague."

If I were building a kit of Nikkor primes, I would consider the following 3 absolutely essential:

35mm f2 (probably better edge-to-edge sharpness than the f1.4)
    50mm f1.4
    105mm f2.5 (not enough praise for this lens)

Excellent lenses outside these focal lengths:

Any of the rectilinear super wides: 15, 18, 20
    Any of the wides: 24, 28
    Teles: 180 f2.8 ED, 300

Zooms: 80-200 f4.5 one-touch, 100-300.

For the FE, I wouldn't get any non-AI lenses even though they can be used with stop-down metering. Many lenses were improved optically or mechanically or both in the newer AI versions.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Just bought a train ticket home. [​IMG]

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I wanted to get a Gransfors for a while though it probably would see limited use also. I may go whole hog and order a Lee Reeves axe like the one below.
    [​IMG]

That is far too pretty to see use in my house.

Gransfors Bruks to Axes is what Absolute vodka is to liquor.
    Both are inferior to Finish products (Fiskars & Finlandia Vodka), but superior in advertisment and packaging.

Now that I've used my axe I am profoundly happy with it, price be damned (although I am also happy about that). Anything under 12 inches across takes one good stroke to split. In 30 minutes' time my log rack got half-full. I still have a lot of wood to split, though, so I may yet have to build another log rack (bummer)

However, I have some bigger logs 15"-20" where the initial split is proving troublesome.

Funny enough I also prefer Finlandia.

8. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Just bought a train ticket home. [​IMG]
    Bought my plane tickets for winter break yesterday.

9. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

For the wife . . . and seriously killing my clothing budget for a while. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. kronik

kronik Senior member

11. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Surprise?

Nice.

Thanks! It was sort of a surprise (mostly timing) but for something like this I had to run it by her in advance to make sure it was exactly what she wanted.

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Your wife is lucky. Nice!

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Huntsman, That's an outstanding collection! However, I believe you mean the 58mm f1.2 Noct-Nikkor. I have actually seen very few of those and they are very expensive, but the 55mm f1.2 Nikkor is dirt cheap. I was once advised to "avoid it like the plague." If I were building a kit of Nikkor primes, I would consider the following 3 absolutely essential: 35mm f2 (probably better edge-to-edge sharpness than the f1.4) 50mm f1.4 105mm f2.5 (not enough praise for this lens) Excellent lenses outside these focal lengths: Any of the rectilinear super wides: 15, 18, 20 Any of the wides: 24, 28 Teles: 180 f2.8 ED, 300 Zooms: 80-200 f4.5 one-touch, 100-300. For the FE, I wouldn't get any non-AI lenses even though they can be used with stop-down metering. Many lenses were improved optically or mechanically or both in the newer AI versions.
    Thank you! Yes, I do mean the Noct-Nikkor -- I call it the Nocturnal when referring to it colloquially. It is my absolute favorite lens, the last I would ever sell if I had to. Fortunately, I inherited it from my father, who has excellent taste., so I didn't need to suffer the wallet pain. Interesting that there is a lot of similarity in our lists! Good glass is good glass. Unfortunately, considering its price, the 55mm f/1.2 is not good at all. I actually bought one on eBay and did some work with it on my D200, as I wanted a pseudo-Noct I could use and not worry about quite so much -- it was a mistake. In comparison shots wide open it was not at all sharp, and actually exhibited 'ghosting' of details. I flipped it within the week; lost $50 on that fiasco. Should have gone with the 50mm f/1.4 ~ H

14. visionology

visionology Senior member

Thanks! It was sort of a surprise (mostly timing) but for something like this I had to run it by her in advance to make sure it was exactly what she wanted.

Geez nice gift. I would think that anyone who has enough money laying around to just go buy a $60,000 car as a gift would have plenty of money to blow on clothes or whatever else he or she desired.

15. eg1

eg1 Senior member

For the wife . . . and seriously killing my clothing budget for a while. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For your wife? What the hell are you driving? [​IMG]