Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I just bought a... (non clothing item)

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Tokyo Slim, May 12, 2006.

1. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Picked up a slightly used D80 for a really good price.
    Now you just need a way to carry it stylishly. [​IMG]

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

Perhaps this Sunday's project:

[​IMG]

Bigger throttle body, intake plenum, and software mods.

3. DNW

DNW Senior member

Now you just need a way to carry it stylishly. [​IMG]

I've given up on that thought long ago. However, this, is another matter. My newest acquisition: a Nikon FE with a Zykkor 35-105mm lens. I already have a 50mm, so this setup will serve my needs for now. Isn't she a beaut?

[​IMG]

Just so you know, you played no small part in convincing me to give film a try. Thank you, Sir.

4. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

I've given up on that thought long ago. However, this, is another matter. My newest acquisition: a Nikon FE with a Zykkor 35-105mm lens. I already have a 50mm, so this setup will serve my needs for now. Isn't she a beaut?

Just so you know, you played no small part in convincing me to give film a try. Thank you, Sir.

Gorgeous! Congrats on getting a great camera. I used to have an FM and loved it. All the features you need and none you don't. Used manual focus Nikkors have become very cheap now, so you have the potential to add some amazing lenses to your kit without spending a fortune.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Shooting film is fun and also a great discipline. Enjoy your new camera. Hope to see some of your images soon. [​IMG]

5. humza

humza Senior member

So i returned the Onkyo 576 receiver, and got me the 606 instead: [​IMG] More future ready [​IMG]

6. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

iPhone 3G. So much extravagent shiney and random functions to promote laziness.

7. Matt

Matt [email protected]

iPhone 3G. So much extravagent shiney and random functions to promote laziness.
    if only it could make calls.

8. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

if only it could make calls.

My old phone did nothing but that, so it's kinda nice to be on a phone that hardly does it.

9. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Perhaps this Sunday's project: Bigger throttle body, intake plenum, and software mods.
    Is that for the Cayman? Won't these mods lower the torque somewhat at the expense of small HP gain on the top end?

10. A Y

A Y Senior member

Is that for the Cayman? Won't these mods lower the torque somewhat at the expense of small HP gain on the top end?

Yes and yes. Porsche tunes the Cayman engines for higher midrange torque for around-town drivability. This mod (along with the software and a free-flowing exhaust already installed) won't give up much midrange torque, but will make between 20 to 30 more HP near redline for my 2.7L engine. The 3.4L sees even bigger gains.

--Andre

11. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

Yes and yes. Porsche tunes the Cayman engines for higher midrange torque for around-town drivability. This mod (along with the software and a free-flowing exhaust already installed) won't give up much midrange torque, but will make between 20 to 30 more HP near redline for my 2.7L engine. The 3.4L sees even bigger gains.

--Andre

Is Cayman turbo? If not then free flow exhaust will rob HP not add it.

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

Is Cayman turbo? If not then free flow exhaust will rob HP not add it.

I'm not sure that makes any sense at all. People have measured their cars on several reliable dynamometers and found significant HP increases with these kinds of exhausts, including the model I use on my particular engine.

--Andre

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I don't know about the impact on a Cayman but a better plenum on a 911 definitely boosts the power. A friend of mine did this over the summer.

14. briancl

briancl Senior member

I'm not sure that makes any sense at all. People have measured their cars on several reliable dynamometers and found significant HP increases with these kinds of exhausts, including the model I use on my particular engine.

--Andre

On NA cars, a little bit of back pressure is a good thing, so not only are there diminishing returns, but actual harmful returns when dealing with high flow exhaust systems. However, when moving from a stock exhaust to a typical off the shelf exhaust there is almost always some power gain, especially with a bit of tuning. This is because stock exhausts are very restrictive.

On FI, all bets are off and the more flow the better, although there is still a point of diminishing returns. Tuning is highly recommended here for a number of reasons.

All of this has been hypothesized with science and proven with dynos.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

My splitting axe showed up at the office today. I have a bit of firewood that needs splitting and I'm tired of the wedge and hammer thing. So I now have one of these:

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/st...&storeId=10001

For some reason tempers are starting to fray around the office - I might take this out of the box and lay it on my desk for the rest of the day.