• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just bought a Burberry suit opinion pls

hermes man

Reaction score
price from 1300$usd to 2000$usd

3/4 canvassed
slim fitted
100% virgin wool
made in italy

aimed at younger people who just started working for their first suit

900x900px-LL-abaa677a_1f9825c06a1c255d8a2de78f46b725cd518d3561.jpeg

http://us.burberry.com/slim-fit-travel-tailoring-virgin-wool-suit-p39436771
http://us.burberry.com/slim-fit-wool-mohair-suit-p39161641

i bought one in black, this is my 3rd suit (my first is from Emporio Armani, second is from Giorgio Armani)

what do u guys think?

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few here will appreciate a black suit or such travesty of a cut but each to his own.

Last edited:

hermes man

Reaction score

Few here will appreciate a black suit or such travesty of a cut but each to his own.

good feedback , but i thought every men need a black suit in their wardrobe right? i thought black suit is like the most basic item for every men's wardrobe ermmm

whats wrong with the cut? is it because of the slim cut?

or should i have went with Navy blue instead?

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrible photoshop work.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black is the last colour you need in a wardrobe.

AriG

Reaction score
Yeah, basic suit colors are navy and charcoal. Then medium grey, and go from there. Black is not very versatile as far as opportunities to wear it go. I thought this was known by now. Also, I don't mind the Burberry cut for younger people (have a few of my own), they don't look like in the pictures (obv), but they are in fact a little short. So if you're quite tall, I'd look into different brands.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

good feedback , but [COLOR=FF00AA]i thought every men need a black suit in their wardrobe right? i thought black suit is like the most basic item for every men's wardrobe [/COLOR]ermmm

whats wrong with the cut? is it because of the slim cut?

or should i have went with Navy blue instead?

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black suit lacks versatility. It can only be matched with black shoes.

I have a similar Burberry suit in grey glenplaid/yellow overlay in flannel. With every passing year, the thin lapels is getting more ridiculous in my eyes. The cut is not the same as it looks in the photos, and the cut in the photos are just stupid. You can do a slim fit without looking like a starving walking pair of chopsticks. Have a look at the cut for the Paul Smith Byard.

hermes man

Reaction score

Black is the last colour you need in a wardrobe.

Yeah, basic suit colors are navy and charcoal. Then medium grey, and go from there. Black is not very versatile as far as opportunities to wear it go. I thought this was known by now. Also, I don't mind the Burberry cut for younger people (have a few of my own), they don't look like in the pictures (obv), but they are in fact a little short. So if you're quite tall, I'd look into different brands.

yea i am not tall just 173cm .

but so what do i do with my black suit ? should i go back and ask to exchange for a navy?

damn

I have a similar Burberry suit in grey glenplaid/yellow overlay in flannel. With every passing year, the thin lapels is getting more ridiculous in my eyes. The cut is not the same as it looks in the photos, and the cut in the photos are just stupid. You can do a slim fit without looking like a starving walking pair of chopsticks. Have a look at the cut for the Paul Smith Byard.

so u cant wear brown shoes with blacksuits?

rwtc

Reaction score
yea i am not tall just 173cm .

but so what do i do with my black suit ? should i go back and ask to exchange for a navy?
damn
so u cant wear brown shoes with blacksuits?

No you can't.

For the same price, you can probably get a Corneliani. Or spend a little more for E. Zegna or Isaia. The cut on your Burberry is not very flattering.

AriG

Reaction score
Well, you don't know that, since you haven't seen him wearing it. No need to be presumptuous ..

@hermes man: if you don't have a navy, I'd definitely spring for that first yeah, because that is an essential. However, don't think they have that 100% virgin wool travel model in a navy on sale and the standard part-canvas navy wool/mohair doesn't look very good, and it's too blue (I had it here but returned it). They have a travel wool/mohair, seems a little darker/nicer, but I haven't seen it in person.

Last edited:

rwtc

Reaction score
Well, you don't know that, since you haven't seen him wearing it. No need to be presumptuous ..

@hermes man: if you don't have a navy, I'd definitely spring for that first yeah, because that is an essential. However, don't think they have that 100% virgin wool travel model in a navy on sale and the standard part-canvas navy wool/mohair doesn't look very good, and it's too blue (I had it here but returned it). They have a travel wool/mohair, seems a little darker/nicer, but I haven't seen it in person.

IMO trousers are far too tight and lapels are too skinny (personal preference). Corneliani is full canvas at the same price, with nicer lapels. If he likes a slimmer fit, he can get it tailored to his liking.

AriG

Reaction score
Again, they don't look like that in person, those model shots are physically impossible. I have a grey slim fit, and the lapels actually go half-way to the shoulder (that's actually a little wide for me), but others are different. Trousers aren't that slim it all, I wear 34R and I have plenty space, the waist is actually quite high as well. They also have a modern fit cut, that would be pretty close to a traditional silhouette. For skinny guys (or smaller folks), some of these options are not terrible ... And getting a suit to tailor down everywhere often leads to results that are even worse or unbalanced and require a lot of time/effort and a skilled tailor etc. It's an option though for sure.

Hey hermes man, why not post a fit pic so we can all come at you for it!

Last edited:

hermes man

Reaction score

Again, they don't look like that in person, those model shots are physically impossible. I have a grey slim fit, and the lapels actually go half-way to the shoulder (that's actually a little wide for me), but others are different. Trousers aren't that slim it all, I wear 34R and I have plenty space, the waist is actually quite high as well. They also have a modern fit cut, that would be pretty close to a traditional silhouette. For skinny guys (or smaller folks), some of these options are not terrible ... And getting a suit to tailor down everywhere often leads to results that are even worse or unbalanced and require a lot of time/effort and a skilled tailor etc. It's an option though for sure.

Hey hermes man, why not post a fit pic so we can all come at you for it!

ill post next time after i slim down , i am in the process of losing weight i have really big tummy now

well according to the receipt i have 30 days to exchange , should i change to navy?

i have an emporio armani navy with pin stripe but the fit was horrible because when i bought it , it was 1 size bigger, i got it altered everywhere but i am still not satisfied with it

clotheshorse69

Reaction score

Burgundy says 'hi'.

Seriously, although it isn't considered classic, black is OK. The silhouette looks beyond slim. I would call it skinny. Again, not classic, but not necessarily bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads