• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hit the wall at the gym today

snuffy

Reaction score
Kris,

What does spinach have to do with hitting the wall?

madaboutshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
I find that sex (including whacking it) before efforts that require a lot of complex mental operation hinders me. But I don't find that I'm weaker when I'm splooging frequently.

too much sex (4-5 times a day) definitely makes my knees jerk. even if I manage to hit the gym afterwards and have a good workout. I'd be fucked for the next couple of days.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by snuffy
Kris,

I hadn't heard this before, and am curious, too.

Kris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snuffy
Kris,

Spinach (RAW spinach) contains signicant amounts of oxalic acid, which binds with both iron and calcium, inhibiting uptake of both minerals by the body, causing deficiency. Being iron deficient will gut your energy and endurance by diminishing your respiratory and circulatory systems capacity to supply oxygen to your body. A calcium deficiency can stress your skeletal system, of course. If one were to consume oxalic acid over time, it would bind with calcium in the kidneys, causing stones. So raw spinach is a fuckery. A little in a salad from time to time, no prob. But as a regular part of your diet (say in that daily lunch salad, probably in that bag of "baby green" salad mix you always buy) is going to screwball you eventually. Kinda like with raw egg whites, eventually they will cause a biotin deficiency.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
Spinach (RAW spinach) contains signicant amounts of oxalic acid, which binds with both iron and calcium, inhibiting uptake of both minerals by the body, causing deficiency. Being iron deficient will gut your energy and endurance by diminishing your respiratory and circulatory systems capacity to supply oxygen to your body. A calcium deficiency can stress your skeletal system, of course. If one were to consume oxalic acid over time, it would bind with calcium in the kidneys, causing stones. So raw spinach is a fuckery. A little in a salad from time to time, no prob. But as a regular part of your diet (say in that daily lunch salad, probably in that bag of "baby green" salad mix you always buy) is going to screwball you eventually. Kinda like with raw egg whites, eventually they will cause a biotin deficiency.
I didn't know this. I was under the impression spinach was a good source of iron.

Kris

Reaction score
Spinach is a decent source of non-heme iron, but you have to cook it, or you will far negate your iron prospects. Cooking eliminates the oxalic acid.

Allow me to simplify:

RAW SPINACH = BAD

COOKED SPINACH = GOOD

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spinach is a decent source of non-heme iron, but you have to cook it, or you will far negate your iron prospects. Cooking eliminates the oxalic acid.

Allow me to simplify:

RAW SPINACH = BAD

COOKED SPINACH = GOOD

You're going to have to link me to the science on this one, please.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it was a one-time occurrence, I would say that you bonked, as the bike racers say. You body just ran out of glycogen. It happened to me once during rugby practice - I thought I was going to black out. Eat some more carbs before and during the workout to prevent this from happening.

Kris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
You're going to have to link me to the science on this one, please.

As per above:

"Spinach (RAW spinach) contains signicant amounts of oxalic acid, which binds with both iron and calcium, inhibiting uptake of both minerals by the body, causing deficiency. Being iron deficient will gut your energy and endurance by diminishing your respiratory and circulatory systems capacity to supply oxygen to your body. A calcium deficiency can stress your skeletal system, of course. If one were to consume oxalic acid over time, it would bind with calcium in the kidneys, causing stones. So raw spinach is a fuckery. A little in a salad from time to time, no prob. But as a regular part of your diet (say in that daily lunch salad, probably in that bag of "baby green" salad mix you always buy) is going to screwball you eventually. Kinda like with raw egg whites, eventually they will cause a biotin deficiency."

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As per above:

"Spinach (RAW spinach) contains signicant amounts of oxalic acid, which binds with both iron and calcium, inhibiting uptake of both minerals by the body, causing deficiency. Being iron deficient will gut your energy and endurance by diminishing your respiratory and circulatory systems capacity to supply oxygen to your body. A calcium deficiency can stress your skeletal system, of course. If one were to consume oxalic acid over time, it would bind with calcium in the kidneys, causing stones. So raw spinach is a fuckery. A little in a salad from time to time, no prob. But as a regular part of your diet (say in that daily lunch salad, probably in that bag of "baby green" salad mix you always buy) is going to screwball you eventually. Kinda like with raw egg whites, eventually they will cause a biotin deficiency."

Thanks- I saw that, but I'm looking for source references. For example, I've read statements about various foods that read like that on Mercola's site... legendary for it's quackery. No offence to you, just asking for your source.

Thanks

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Adding more simple carbs before going has helped avoid the Bonk.
smile.gif
Today I strained my quad while squatting and it feels terrible
frown.gif
I hate injuries because I know I have to take it easy for a week or two and lose some progress.

jaXm

Reaction score
Stop telling him to drink coffee. Just do your cardio after the heavy lifting and eat more. Take a rest day when your body says so. Problem solved.

mgoose

Reaction score
Seriously man, it sounds like you need a week to unload. Don't workout that hard, maybe go in do some active recovery type stretching etc, etc but give your body a rest. If I ever actually make it 12 solid weeks without a break I take a week off, but usually I am for 3-4 days every 6 weeks.

Supertarheel

Reaction score
Had this happen 2 or 3 times. Most likely 2 out of those 3 i left my water bottle, and became dehydrated. Other one was the worst experience ever, started out to check my body fat at some new gym. Than they put me on a treadmill. From there all hell broke loose, they gave me a personal trainer who looked like Brock Lesnar literally. Ended up overworking myself, and threw up. Not good at all, however that situation happens at 8 am no breakfast. So no more gym for me, plus dudes in locker room who wear no pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads