I have to get something off my chest

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EzraPaul, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

Well I'm sticking up for Suitsupply. Got several items from there, all OTR never 'custom' and had my local fella make any alterations. I'm 6 feet 1 and 170 lbs and have never had problems getting into any of their strides. I'm not 'offended' by their 'sexist' ads I don't care about them one way or another. I will say that almost all the SAs wear their strides at ridiculous half mast. I asked an SA once if that was a company policy and was told he did it by choice, but it's so pervasive I find that hard to believe. And wear some socks for the love of god!

SF loves fat lapels so slim J Crew lapels will get no love on here. And while skinny fit suits and low rise trousers really isn't a good look, tthe adulation for high rise strides on here is laughable but I'm confident the pendulum will soon swing over that way and you'll all get your wish for multi pleated strides with a rise so high you'll be able to throw out all your shirts.

2. EzraPaul

EzraPaul Senior member

Check out this post from a couple of weeks ago. That suit fits terribly. I've worked in the clothing industry for 15 years and I can tell you that most salespeople are not good at measuring. I'm glad to hear that Suit Supply is trying to address this issue with training, which is a necessary step, but if you have revolving door of salespeople, you will never get a highly trained workforce, and most retail jobs have high turnover. I also think it takes a lot more than a few days in NYC to learn how to properly measure. As I mentioned, I have been doing this for a while and I am still learning new things. Perhaps the biggest issue is that with adjusting a set pattern, you are often robbing Peter to pay Paul. For example, if you are adjusting for square shoulders and take up a 1/2" roll in the neckline to lower the collar, you just made the back of the jacket 1/2" shorter. That is MTM 101, but you'd be surprised how few salesman account for this.

3. EzraPaul

EzraPaul Senior member

Yeah, that is a shorter way of putting it.

4. EzraPaul

EzraPaul Senior member

That is exactly one of my points: you are often better off getting a suit off the rack and having a competent tailor adjust it then a kid with little experience start writing numbers down and sending it off to China.

5. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

Yup. My experiments with bespoke and MTM have had results mostly way below expectation. As I'm not too difficult of a fit I largely abandoned that approach and feel I get better value doing as you suggest. Different strokes for different folks but it works for me.

6. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Shit... I found no sex in one SuSu jacket I bought. I checked all the pockets. Nothing... Should I return for full refund?

7. gs77

gs77 Senior member

You and your friends, are you like... 8 years old?

8. firefit

firefit Senior member

That goes with every job. Everyone is finding out and learning about new things every day. Unfortunately, many people go into the job assuming they know how MTM works but more often than not do they find themselves in an occupation which they are not truly experienced in. I have to agree with many though, SuSu definitely runs a "be the biggest sex idol" campaign. The best of the best are the most experienced/most knowledgeable, and I guess time will tell if suit supply ever changes. Right now, there aren't many places set up in South Florida, unless you want to drive all the way to the keys for a Barbour jacket.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

9. starro

starro Senior member

Unsurprising, since I find no sex in your life.

10. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Ah, you are 8 years old to? You are one of the shocked friends of that other guy?

11. starro

starro Senior member

Dude if I'm 8 you're 4. I know the difference between to and too, and I got friends other than mommy.

12. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Wow. Wisdom...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

13. starro

starro Senior member

How's that? No more wisecracks? I guess it doesn't take much to shut up a SuitSupply spokeswoman.

14. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Does it make you sad when other kids don't want to play with you?
    That was a joke, moron. I don't have any SuSu stuff, nor am I interested. Go play elsewhere.

15. starro

starro Senior member

You know what's a shitty joke? When you have to tell people it's a joke.

Now you say you ain't interested in SuSu, then why comment like an asshole in the first place? Do you just have SO much time in your pathetic loser life?

Piece of advice: Don't be a heckler if you don't have the balls to go a couple of rounds. Can't stand the heat -> get outta the kitchen. [mic drop]