1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

I have sinned.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TCN, Oct 8, 2004.

1. TCN

TCN Well-Known Member

I used to consider myself a purist, but today (casual Friday), I'm wearing a tattersall Orvis wrinkle free all cotton shirt. This is really my first experience with a decent wrinkle-free shirt. After tsk-ing and rolling my eyes at my brother-in-law's admiration of his wrinkle-free shirts, and vowing never to succomb to such a garment . . . I have to admit I really like this thing.

Where should I go for more? Preferably with a spread collar.

2. JohnMS

JohnMS Well-Known Member

I fit well in most RTW shirts and have been using wrinkle-free shirts for a couple of years now. Saves me tons of ironing time. I also don't have to worry about my kids wrinkling me in the morning when they give me their goodbyes. I love them.

3. SFclassic

SFclassic Member

At the risk of being your enabler, I have admired Eddie Bauer no-iron shirts on a friend. However, last time I looked they only have button-downs. Otherwise, I would have succumbed.

4. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers has a variety of such shirts, including spread collars.

Kai

5. JohnMS

JohnMS Well-Known Member

SFclassic,

If you are interested in no-iron spreads, Nordstrom the last I checked started carrying some no-iron with spread collar in some nice patterns. I find their no-iron shirts less expensive than Brooks Brothers (about $49 vs. $65 for solids). The Nordstrom no-iron broadclothes I have actually do not need ironing. I've found their pinpoints need a quick steam iron, but can be completed in 2 or 3 minutes. The benefit more than anything for me is that I can wear the shirts all day and at the end of the day they look like I just pressed them.

6. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Well-Known Member

I know I've plugged the BB non-irons to death, but JohnMS makes a good point about non-irons in general.

I'd add, it's not even that I mind ironing shirts - I actually like to wash and iron my better shirts, if nothing else it reminds me to wear them.

Less-textured shirts, though, do wrinkle a lot throughout the day, and the non-irons really bounce back and look good all day. It is, admittedly, a little unnatural.

And there is the less breathable angle, that can be annoying on warmer days or in stuffier offices.

EDITED for stupidity.

7. Navy09

Navy09 Member

I tried one of the Brooks Brothers no-iron shirts with a pattern and really liked it. Then I bought three of the solids and after two or three times wearing them decided I hated them. Not only are they thicker and not very comfortable, but they have a funny sheen to them that looks bad. I hadn't noticed it in the store but hanging in my closet next to my regular shirts, you can pick out the no-iron from a mile away. They just don't look good. I gave them all away and I'm glad to be rid of them.

8. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

If you want a high quality non-iron that isn't chemically treated, has MOP buttons, great fabric, and is cut way more stylishly than BB, check out Eton of Sweden.