• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have really dry, frizzy hair. Any treatment suggestions? (with picture)

markbao

Reaction score
Hey, The past 4 years, I've developed a really bad hair condition where my hair is dry, frizzy, and brittle. When I come out of the shower and style it without gel, exposing it to the air for more than an hour makes it poufy again. Using gel doesn't make it much better. It makes my hair essentially unstyleable. I'm pretty sure it's a result of me applying shampoo 3-4 times about three years ago for a year, thinking it'd make my hair cleaner. That was stupid as hell. Any suggestions on how to make my hair softer and less dry? I do use conditioner (doesn't help much) and I've tried the skip shampoo every other day thing, to no avail. thanks :) Picture of my crappy hair:
22434_1204832681251_1241641109_31006962_6035187_n.jpg
19244_1206728088635_1241641109_31013763_3037003_n.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My hair's the same way.

Use shampoo less often. Like once a week. Let the natural "grease" build up. Instead of gel or whatever, use a light dab of Brylcreem or pomade or something just to give it a bit of weight.
Or just keep it shorter

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An oriental Blagojevich?
blagojevich.jpg
I agree on the buzz cut.

markbao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
yeah, really not so complicated.
Meh. Prefer medium, just haven't found any good places as of late. I know I don't look good with a buzz cut.
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
My hair's the same way. Use shampoo less often. Like once a week. Let the natural "grease" build up. Instead of gel or whatever, use a light dab of Brylcreem or pomade or something just to give it a bit of weight. Or just keep it shorter
Thanks for the suggestions. Tried the once-a-week thing also (with conditioner), didn't work either. Will try again, thanks!
Originally Posted by Big Pun
An oriental Blagojevich?
blagojevich.jpg
I agree on the buzz cut.

I probably could pull that off.

aguydude

Reaction score
I honestly think you'd look pretty decent with a buzz (I have a buzz). Summer's coming up, try it, you might like it!

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shampoo 1 time a month at most, some barbers i talk to tell me not to shampoo at all, frankly i went a month with cleaning my hair with a comb and doing the natural grease thing and it felt amazing and the second shampoo was in again it completely fucked up my hair and scalp, not a good idea to use it much.

milosh

Reaction score
My hair is much shorter than yours but probably of the same quality. Have you tried leave-in conditioners? They seem to help the most.

makker

Reaction score
Use Tresemme anti-frizz or expose it to the sun where it is a rather moist climate.. helps.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wash your hair too much it gets even frizzier, but I don't think it's a good idea to wash it only once a week. Smelly hair... eww. Use a good shampoo and conditioner. Redken makes some hydrating shampoo and conditioners (all soft is good). But yeah, using a leave-in conditioner will help a lot too. You can leave in regular conditioner if you stay in and wash it out later in the day. But a proper leave-in conditioner is called that and can be left in with regular use.

markbao

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aguydude
I honestly think you'd look pretty decent with a buzz (I have a buzz). Summer's coming up, try it, you might like it!
Meh, not my thing. :p

Originally Posted by scott.m
shampoo 1 time a month at most, some barbers i talk to tell me not to shampoo at all, frankly i went a month with cleaning my hair with a comb and doing the natural grease thing and it felt amazing and the second shampoo was in again it completely fucked up my hair and scalp, not a good idea to use it much.
Once a month? That's pretty infrequent... dunno if that's something I'd be willing to try.

Originally Posted by milosh
My hair is much shorter than yours but probably of the same quality. Have you tried leave-in conditioners? They seem to help the most.
Lots of people are recommending that. I will try it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by texas_jack
Stop washing it so much and use a leave in conditioner. DON'T use gel. That stuff dries the hell out of your hair.
Does it? Will try. Thanks!

Originally Posted by makker
Use Tresemme anti-frizz or expose it to the sun where it is a rather moist climate.. helps.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Originally Posted by musicguy
If you wash your hair too much it gets even frizzier, but I don't think it's a good idea to wash it only once a week. Smelly hair... eww. Use a good shampoo and conditioner. Redken makes some hydrating shampoo and conditioners (all soft is good). But yeah, using a leave-in conditioner will help a lot too. You can leave in regular conditioner if you stay in and wash it out later in the day. But a proper leave-in conditioner is called that and can be left in with regular use.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Once a week isn't something I'd want to continue with. Thanks for the suggestions of the products!

Originally Posted by underwearer
how'd you get into the Pentagon with that mop top?
Bribery.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I still wet my hair and clean it but I only use the full on shampoo thing a couple of times a week

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads