1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have really dry, frizzy hair. Any treatment suggestions? (with picture)

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by markbao, Feb 21, 2010.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

LOL at all the guys who wash their hair once a week or once a month. I'm sure your girlfriends and wives appreciate the wet dog smell every time you come home, as well as the grease stains you leave on the pillowcases every night. Nothing like her running her hand through a seaweed patch to kindle the romance.
    What part of dry hair do you not understand?

2. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I don't think you have crappy hair at all. You DO, however, need to find a style and get a haircut from an actual stylist.

My guess is you don't do / don't know what's needed to make your hair look much better than it does.

Also, good products will go a long way. A good shampoo, moisture conditioner once or twice a month, possibly a very light leave in conditioner and some styling creme / soft hold gel / pomade will do wonders. Also, try some spray shine if you still want your hair to be more shiny.

Hey,

The past 4 years, I've developed a really bad hair condition where my hair is dry, frizzy, and brittle. When I come out of the shower and style it without gel, exposing it to the air for more than an hour makes it poufy again. Using gel doesn't make it much better. It makes my hair essentially unstyleable.

I'm pretty sure it's a result of me applying shampoo 3-4 times about three years ago for a year, thinking it'd make my hair cleaner. That was stupid as hell.

Any suggestions on how to make my hair softer and less dry? I do use conditioner (doesn't help much) and I've tried the skip shampoo every other day thing, to no avail.

Picture of my crappy hair:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Aveda makes a set of Shampoo/Conditioner/Treatment that works quite well. I used to have awfully dry hair as well, but as soon as I started using this stuff, I (and other people) have noticed a change in how my hair looks. Check it out, go to Aveda's website and look at their Dry Remedy collection. You can thank me later. Also, cutting your hair would help. My hair was long as all hell last summer, and no matter what I tried to do, it would be annoyingly dry and frizzy. So in recap, my advice is twofold: Aveda Dry Remedy Shampoo & Conditioner, and cut your hair.

4. cross22

cross22 Senior member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. milosz

milosz Senior member

LOL at all the guys who wash their hair once a week or once a month. I'm sure your girlfriends and wives appreciate the wet dog smell every time you come home, as well as the grease stains you leave on the pillowcases every night. Nothing like her running her hand through a seaweed patch to kindle the romance.

The once a month adherents claim that your hair naturally becomes less oily/greasy/etc. if you follow their recs. I've never lasted past two days, so I doubt I'll find out.

6. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Shave your head. You wouldn't believe how therapeutic it is for your soul.

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Fuck dude.
    Get a buzz cut or something.
    Gdamn.

[​IMG]

8. dibadiba

dibadiba Senior member

I used to shampoo daily, and got a pretty bad case of flaking scalp throughout highshool, or dandruff or whatever it's called.
    I've cut back to shampooing once a week, though I wash my hair daily in the shower. my hair is much much more manageable and healthy, plus I save $$$ on buying shampoo

9. jenlain

jenlain Senior member

I have hair similar to yours. +1 on the advice to shampoo less frequently. I started doing this about 6 months ago and my hair looks better than ever. I shampoo about once a week with Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Nourishing Shampoo. I do rinse my hair each day in the shower. I think you would look better with shorter hair, but I agree that a buzz might be a little extreme. Have you considered going with contacts or lasik? I think an overall cleaner look would benefit you.

10. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Senior member

coming from a family of stylists and having dabbled in it myself, and also having a texture like your --- use this advice . . . 1. yeah swoop bangs are in, but your haircut can't just be bangs. you're trying to do something like this http://z.about.com/d/mensfashion/1/0...8683238_10.jpg - no? its a great shape but yours is like that cut on steroids. you need someone to go in their and texturize/thin it out, so you don't have to use as much product to get it to lay the way you want. even that guy could take it down a notch or 2 but that's runway hair so it deliberately look overstyled. also, when i say stylist, i don't mean super cuts or great clips. when i was in boston for a wedding i went here based on yelp reviews - http://www.jamesjosephstudio.com/newbury/home.htm - i went with one of the senior stylists. yes, pricey but i don't like risking it - i ended up getting an awesome cut in the end with grant. you don't have to go super high end like me, but at least go to a real salon of that calibur and talent. cheap places usually don't have the skill set/experience with making our texture look great with more medium lengths. 2. get Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom. this is hands down my miracle product. i put a nickel sized glob in while my hair is damp after a shower and go. it absorbs into my hair and it makes it softer, smooths the frizz - but still feels natural and non greasy, non sticky to touch - adjust amounts as needed. if i wanna style it a little more i'll use a wax, paste etc etc. Neutrogena also makes a leave in moisturizing cream that isn't as expensive, but i don't like it as much. Brylcreem can work too and its cheap too - its old school stuff - so along with it is an old school scent (some say old man). STOP using gel. if you're using drugstore gel, it's probably contributing to your frizziness bc drugstore gels have alcohol in them which dries your hair out making it frizzy. 3. use moisturizing shampoos and conditioner, every other day or every couple days - for cheap stuff i use the Aussie Moist line and for expensive i use the Bumble&bumble Gentle/Super Rich line. i can't go longer than 2 days without washing my hair bc i can't stand the 'smelly oily hair' smell. if you do endup washing your hair less frequently, please scrub it in the shower. with that being said use a cheap deep cleaning shampoo like Suave Deep Cleansing once every couple of weeks, if you're not going to be washing your hair very often, bc all that product/oil buildup can also make your hair hard to manage - condition afterwards of course. anyway, a good hair style begins with a good haircut, so start there and see what happens. seriously, you can use all the product you want, to tame frizz - but that's not gonna take away from the fact that your haircut is pretty bad now.

11. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

woooooow, I thought my hair was wavy and sometimes out of control, I'm grateful to have hair that listens just about everyday. What I'd first recommend is to see a stylist...asap! They will cut it, layer it, to your liking and tell you how to control it based on what style you like. You said you didn't want to go short so why not try this? he is known for his long curly hair and chicks dig it, I think you should ditch the glasses if you do though. Good luck and update us on what you decide. [​IMG]

12. GahDuma

GahDuma Active Member

Explain how you went about the going shampoo-less. I'm asian and my hair used to look like that. I tried shampoo-free as well but my hair just got too greasy too quickly. I then tried using high-end shampoos but to no avail. I've found the trick is to use a shampoo without sodium laurel sulfate, and conditioners without silicones. SLS is a lathering agent, added to make people think that their shampoo is working, well, it does, stripping not only dirt and grease, but essential oils as well. This is where their conditioners come in, replacing these oils with silicones, which actually build up on your hair unless you use SLS to get rid of it, creating a vicious cycle. What you want to do is to end the cycle, look for products without these ingredents, they will appear to lather less, but lather is not indicative of cleaning power, it just feels good to the consumer. Common brands are Burt's Bees and Everyman Jack, which is available at Walgreens and Target, you should have no trouble finding these. After doing this, you need to ease off on the conditioner, until you're not using conditioner at all. This gets your head adapted to not having to over produce oils because you shampooed too often. Done correctly, this will make your hair shiny naturally, but not feel greasy, but clean. Ease off the shampoo also, I've gone from every day to every three days, with perfect feeling hair. So, your end game will consist of using an SLS-free shampoo every two to three days, The shampoo I use now is JR Liggets Bar Shampoo. Google for a $5 off coupon, making it a $2 bar of shampoo that will last forever.

13. Carter D.

Carter D. Member

i dont know about your case in particular but the company "art of shaving" makes the best shampoo i have ever used, its perfect for frizzy hair. you can buy it on line, or they have a few stores around the US.