• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

i have problems with small talk

maritimetimetime

Reaction score
its easy for me to start long conversations but i cant seem to do the same with small talk. it just seems so... usless and mundane.

what exactly do i talk about? do i just keep asking simple questions? it seems like the person would get annoyed.

the only question that deals with small talk that i know is "how was your day?". if she answers with anything other than a one word answer, i can easily branch off into more questions. but when she does use a one word answer (which happens frequently) my mind goes blank and i dont know what else to ask.

w.kevin

Reaction score
Stylemeup in a new account? What's with all these awkward topics popping up recently..
confused.gif

maritimetimetime

Reaction score
stylemeup???

hahahahaha no idea, it's a genuine question that I'm guessing I happened to make at the wrong time

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smoking break? hmm .. I wouldn't mind talking about lung cancer ..

w.kevin

Reaction score
My bad. I'm guessing she either doesn't feel like talking or the question lends itself to one-word answers. You can try talking about other stuff or ask questions that need longer replies / lead off into other stuff (lots of female hockey fans over here so I usually talk about that a lot, whatever else you guys have in common).

hi-val

Reaction score
Ask people what they had for breakfast. I do it when I can't think of anything else to say. Just ask followup questions and have funny anecdotes about whatever they talk about. Like if they drank OJ, ask them if they like grapefruit juice and talk about how you like it (if you do).

Say someone on the internet said to ask them about their breakfast. That'll go over well.

maritimetimetime

Reaction score
well she does talk, but i feel like the more she talks, the duller she's going to think i am.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maritimetimetime
well she does talk, but i feel like the more she talks, the duller she's going to think i am.

Are you trying to impress her?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.kevin
Stylemeup in a new account? What's with all these awkward topics popping up recently..
confused.gif

+1. WTF? When did this subforum become the "I'm pathetic, help me with the ladies---- in a stylish way" area?
I liked it better when it was all about booze and food, damnit.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1. WTF? When did this subforum become the "I'm pathetic, help me with the ladies---- in a stylish way" area?
I liked it better when it was all about booze and food, damnit.

Maybe it was before your time, but the epic threads in this subforum have always been about girl problems. Search JetBlast and GQGeeks created threads if you're curious.
smile.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
well, i'm trying to get a relationship going, so yes

No offense meant to you at all. I wish you the best of luck finding answers. If you cannot find them in this thread, do a search in this subforum for similar topics, and I'm sure you'll see some useful hints.

Originally Posted by Brian278
Maybe it was before your time, but the epic threads in this subforum have always been about girl problems. Search JetBlast and GQGeeks created threads if you're curious.
smile.gif

Yeah, I've seen lol. Interesting... to say the least.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, i'm trying to get a relationship going, so yes

Try internet dating. Then you don't have to worry about small talk, which according to you is "mundane and useless"

That or a Appreciation DVD and a box of tissue should suit you just fine.

Mr T

Reaction score
I recommend you not try communicating with her until she has had at least 3 drinks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads