1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have no idea how to dress myself. Help?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hedonisticMe, Nov 2, 2011.

1. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Most everything seemed good here, and I know SF says "buy suit, look good," but you sound like you just got out of college. Do you need a suit? In the current work environment (clothing wise) you're better off buying sport coats. More useful. You can wear a sport coat in a business casual environment and not look like a douche.

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Haha, just kidding, of course! Although Ace does have the fit advantage over Saturdays! :D

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  3. acecow

acecow Senior member

That, and get the most unstructured, soft shouldered jackets you can find. Check out UrbanComposition's latest picture in the WAYWRN thread for a perfect illustration. It looks modern, hip and classical at the same time. Perfect for a younger guy.

4. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark Active Member

Very helpful thread. I've been lurking SF for years now, but haven't really been in an environment that style would be appreciated. Since moving to NYC in August I find myself lurking/reading much more. Doing my best to get up to the level a 30 yr old man should be, but these kinds of posts are very helpful.

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I'd recommend picking up a few books

-Alan Flusser
    -Esquire Big Black Book (thick magazine)
    -The Suit by Manton
    -The book on Cary Grant's style

For more streetwear oriented stuff, take a look at the Details Style Manual. (http://www.amazon.com/Details-Mens-Style-Manual-Ultimate/dp/159240328X) It's a decent enough book with good pictures. I have a barely used copy lying around somewhere. PM me if you want it.

Also, read the WAYWN threads, the "In Praise of Navy/Gray/Brown" threads. Look through pictures of icons like Gianni Agnelli, JFK, Prince Charles, etc.

All of this will help you to determine what you like and don't like and synthesize your own style

6. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

this would be a bit over-the-top and out-of-context for someone changing theyre casual dress, esp coming from hoodies.

if its for work function or specific social settings, its almost a little too high level.

get a jcrew, lands end, and brooks brothers catalog. buy stuff from there. none will have anything outlandish, foppish, or sloven.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I disagree. He seems to know a fair amount. I think he could jump into one or two of those books easily. Flusser and the Details book would be ideal for outlining wardrobe essentials. (His main question)

8. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I think you are right from one perspective, but most employers expect you to come to an interview in a suit, that is the only reason I suggested really.

Yes he does. :worship:

9. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

10. Mustelid

Mustelid Member

Nah, I'm pretty sure it is the other way around. You should be confident enough to pull off your personal style.

For the rest, I'll defer to the others in this thread. The advice has been good. I'm with Saturdays on the wacky socks for business casual too.

11. swiego

swiego Senior member

My advice will be a bit different: go slow.

Consider the following, should you change your "style" too abruptly:
    - People will focus on the change itself, rather than on the well-put-together person
    - If the change is too abrupt, you will look and feel uncomfortable and people will notice that as well
    - Nicer clothing comes at a higher cost and invariably involves more upkeep. Switch from t-shirts to suits too quickly and you might end up with a bunch of shrunken, ripped or poorly-fitting suits.

My advice would be to:
    - Following the advise here, start to diversify, but only one piece at a time, and slowly. Wash/launder/clean an item and re-use it at least once before you pick up the next item.
    - While you should consider some magazine subscriptions, catalog requests, etc., for ideas, try to divorce yourself from brands and materials, and focus only on fit/color/cohesiveness to start. Worry about brands and quality later.
    - Following the last point, don't spend too much to start. You'll make mistakes, so it never hurts to minimize the financial exposure for the first few purchases.

12. joelmccrea

joelmccrea Member

I agree with much of the above. In addition, I'd emphasize:

- Fit. The best place to start is with buttoned/dress shirts, since you can easily introduce them into even a casual wardrobe to sharpen it up a bit. If they don't fit to a T off the rack (they rarely do), get them altered at a tailor. Or go custom: nothing fits me well off the rack, so the shirts at mytailor.com changed my life. This forum has plenty of thread on them and other online tailors.

- Shoes. Spend more on shoes than you have been; spend as much as you can afford, really. Good shoes can make even cheap Gap khakis look nice. Really.

- Basics. Men's magazines can be a source of inspiration but they tend to focus on eye-catching, trendy pieces rather than items that combine well with others. I'll second the recommendation above for Put This On's advice: http://putthison.com/post/712103418/the-essential-mans-wardrobe-perhaps-the-most.

13. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have never claimed to be an authority on this subject, but I think you should dress in a manor that you feel comfortable in. That's cliché I know, but start by getting inspired, find out what elements attracts your eye and then try the stuff out yourself, post pics in WAYWRN (you can do it from a shops dress room if you don't want to purchase anything you're not sure about), get some second opinions on fit etc (that's the hardest part to be objective about on yourself). Get basic tips from guys who know what they talk about. There are some great n00bs here, but I'd go with post count and longivity of the user account when considering the actual merit of advice. Also check out other fora on the web: AAAC (if you're a trad kinda guy), London Lounge (bespoke and such), FNB (unrelentless snark, but some great Ivy knowledge), Fedora Lounge (vintage bonanza) etc, just to get different opinions on what it is to be well dressed.

For inspiration, here's a list of some SF Tumblr that you can check out.

14. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

You could. But don't hire an amateur. Sounding knowledgeable in a few posts is quite different from charging money (often overcharging) to work with an individual's unique situation and all its complexities. And it hurts the industry when alleged experts don't really know what they are doing.

Anyway, look at some magazines, read a few books (probably only worthwhile if borrowed from a library), use Internet sites of course (disregard the suit advice from the Newbie Fashion Tips link), and if that's not helping much.... By the way, don't just buy good dress shoes, buy good (probably fashion-forward) casual shoes. Calvin Klein shirts and sweaters might go well with the desired look, not that anyone knows the measurements, budget, etc.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  15. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I am an authority on matters like these. For whatever reason, people in this thread have neglected to give you the most sound advice of all, which is to copy pretty much everything I do.

My fees are modest.

16. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

You'll know that you've arrived when you receive the world famous 'sheep stamp'. Until then you are strictly a 99%er.

17. saiyar1

saiyar1 Senior member

I would hang out in the street wear section. No need for ties and stuff like that on an everyday basis, especially at 23.

18. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Lurk around here for a while, it takes time to learn

The true meaning of dressing well is to please yourself, no to please the opposite sex

If you want to get laid, better polish your communication skills, savings, social network

The mere Sf sartorial standard will prevail the ordinaries, I actually dress down to meet girls so they don't have the 'player' first impression, and most girls do not want their partner to be better dress than them. :embar:

Unless you are going for the 'high class' girls, then make sure you have enough money

Welcome to Style Forum :)