I have no idea how to dress myself. Help?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hedonisticMe, Nov 2, 2011.

1. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

Also take this forum with a grain of salt. Many here are either into conservative business dress or some rather wacky stuff and some of the stuff shown here can also be pretty damn ugly and gaudy too. Just because this is SF it doesn't mean everyone here is the epitome of taste and style. Dressing well doesn't necessarily have to mean you wear a suit. You can wear a dress shirt and jeans and be dressed well if the colors complement each other and the fit is right. Look at this forum, check out style blogs, hell you could even try something like http://kuler.adobe.com/ to find interesting color combinations.

What you can learn on SF is how a shirt, suit or sportcoat should fit and that will ultimately make a much bigger difference than who made it and of what materials. Likewise there's a lot of good info on shoes and their care.

At 23 you'll most likely look out of place in a suit. People will ask if you're going to an interview, fancy date or party. So I suggest going for something more casual, like a nice sportcoat (at most) that fits well. You can wear that with many kinds of trousers including jeans. But first get some nice shoes. Black captoe oxfords (not high shine/gloss) or brown (semi)brogues. This will help you with #3 ;)

2. GTR

GTR Senior member

[​IMG]

You dress like this :facepalm:

All you do is spam Ralph Lauren. Adopting a brand head to toe is not style.

Most people on SF think they dress better than they actually do.

OP save your money. The signal-to-noise around here is very low.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

3. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Haha yeah i admitted that my style is very well based off Ralph Lauren's lines. I wasn't dressing like that - I was just showing the fit of the jacket and trying on the clothes - which I had literally just received - and people were wondering what it looked and felt like.

I don't think I dress better than I do, I'm pretty sure I dress okay, better than most of the 7 Billion. To tell you the truth I feel comfortable in Ralph Lauren - if I can feel comfortable in other brands I'll definitely cross over. With my budget and desire, RL fits for me.

Anyway, i wasn't being serious about hiring me thats why I had a big grin afterwards. OP can definitely ask for tips regarding Ralph Lauren clothing, particularly Rugby since I buy quite a bit.

4. acecow

acecow Senior member

No, hire me instead. At least 20 fit pics posted vs. how many from jrd? :fence:

5. acecow

acecow Senior member

6. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Most everything seemed good here, and I know SF says "buy suit, look good," but you sound like you just got out of college. Do you need a suit? In the current work environment (clothing wise) you're better off buying sport coats. More useful. You can wear a sport coat in a business casual environment and not look like a douche.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Haha, just kidding, of course! Although Ace does have the fit advantage over Saturdays! :D

8. acecow

acecow Senior member

That, and get the most unstructured, soft shouldered jackets you can find. Check out UrbanComposition's latest picture in the WAYWRN thread for a perfect illustration. It looks modern, hip and classical at the same time. Perfect for a younger guy.

9. ocelot_ark

ocelot_ark Active Member

Very helpful thread. I've been lurking SF for years now, but haven't really been in an environment that style would be appreciated. Since moving to NYC in August I find myself lurking/reading much more. Doing my best to get up to the level a 30 yr old man should be, but these kinds of posts are very helpful.

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I'd recommend picking up a few books

-Alan Flusser
    -Esquire Big Black Book (thick magazine)
    -The Suit by Manton
    -The book on Cary Grant's style

For more streetwear oriented stuff, take a look at the Details Style Manual. (http://www.amazon.com/Details-Mens-Style-Manual-Ultimate/dp/159240328X) It's a decent enough book with good pictures. I have a barely used copy lying around somewhere. PM me if you want it.

Also, read the WAYWN threads, the "In Praise of Navy/Gray/Brown" threads. Look through pictures of icons like Gianni Agnelli, JFK, Prince Charles, etc.

All of this will help you to determine what you like and don't like and synthesize your own style

11. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

this would be a bit over-the-top and out-of-context for someone changing theyre casual dress, esp coming from hoodies.

if its for work function or specific social settings, its almost a little too high level.

get a jcrew, lands end, and brooks brothers catalog. buy stuff from there. none will have anything outlandish, foppish, or sloven.

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I disagree. He seems to know a fair amount. I think he could jump into one or two of those books easily. Flusser and the Details book would be ideal for outlining wardrobe essentials. (His main question)

13. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I think you are right from one perspective, but most employers expect you to come to an interview in a suit, that is the only reason I suggested really.

Yes he does. :worship:

14. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

15. Mustelid

Mustelid Member

Nah, I'm pretty sure it is the other way around. You should be confident enough to pull off your personal style.

For the rest, I'll defer to the others in this thread. The advice has been good. I'm with Saturdays on the wacky socks for business casual too.