• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have issues with writing.

mizanation

Reaction score
all things fade and go away, ddml.

on a related note to the original topic, in japan, people's handwriting is also deteriorating because people are typing now, instead of writing. also, people are remembering less kanji since computers are able to do autocompletion.

personally, i don't care if people's handwriting is "******" or not. i like how grafitti has influenced young people's handwriting. i like how girls write all bubbly and ****. it's cute.

i like how you can always tell if someone is from east asia by their penmanship in english. they write english letters like brush strokes.

basically, i'm glad everyone writes a different way. it reflects on personality and the times. it would be boring if everyone wrote like they way they did on the magna carta or something.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
My handwriting has been called "sexy." But this was after the fact and was probably influenced by our existing relationship, as well as the words on the paper, which did approach raciness. It was also three years, countless pens, and an entire love ago, so would be difficult to replicate.

Tom

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *****
ANALYSE THIS SHRINKS. I also like calligraphy, which i am slowly learning.
[this thread is useless without pix]
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k303/aka-*****/random%20stuff/IMG_5909.jpg

Left handed people own.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
When I use a fountain pen for my moleskine scribblings I use the one I made myself. It's not dissimilar to this one made by Kurt Hertzog. Used the same kit with macassar ebony. The one in the image is cocobolo.

pen.jpg

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I actually prefer a more heavier and thicker pen than the more slimmer versions which always remind me of the '80s for one reason or another.
I can't think of a more Gordon Gekko pen than a meaty Montblanc Meisterstück.... But preference is preference. I'm clumsy with anything thicker or weightier than my Parker 75. I wonder if there's any correlation between hand size and pen preference. I have pretty large hands and like small pens. You, I assume, have fairly small hands and like large pens. Anyone else want to weigh in?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just got a Pelikano School Pen as my first fountain pen:

http://fountainpenforum.com/e107/e10...php?content.21

I'm not a fan of the design, but it's not too bad, I guess. (I have the pictured red one, which looked the least worst). It wasn't until I got home and started writing with it (it writes very well) that I realized it didn't do what I thought fountain pens were supposed to do, which is write Italics (wider stroke one direction, thinner the other). I looked up nib sharpening and found this:

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/nibs.html

I'm tempted to try this, but I'd probably just end up ruining it. If I want to write Italic (-style? -ally?), is there another non-finicky, inexpensive cartridge pen I could look at? I don't want a super sharp nib like the pen and ink nibs I've tried, because I'm not patient enough to not push strokes. I guess according to that article I am looking for a 'stub nib', which is a compromise semi-rounded Italic nib.

Any input?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, as anyone who knows me already knows, immediately after posting that I got to grinding the nib of my new fountain pen. After I finished, at first I was worried because it wasn't looking good on the laser paper I had. But I dug out an old sketchbook with bond paper and wow, it looks and feels great. It's actually fun to write with this - everything looks better (though my handwriting still needs work), and it's very comfortable.

Excuse the nonsensical pidgin-German, I was messing with some Germanic styles found online...

fountaindoodlegr2.jpg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whenever I see whom I presume is a college educated person write with their nasty Bic pen, it brings to mind something like an ESL class or perhaps, the scribblings of a small monkey.
Maybe you are a snob or have too much time on your hands.

BTW if I ever got caught writing a letter in your 'hand', I'd expect to get ****** kicked on a regular basis.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Maybe you are a snob or have too much time on your hands.

BTW if I ever got caught writing a letter in your 'hand', I'd expect to get ****** kicked on a regular basis.

I too can be violent.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

good

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
I too can be violent.

Torturing small animals for "aesthetic" purposes doesnt count.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my pen in the mail a few days ago. It is quite nice, now I need scanner to show it off.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Torturing small animals for "aesthetic" purposes doesnt count.
Like small children, I don't care much for small animals, whether dead, alive, or half-dead. Tangentially, why do people walk dogs but never cats?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like small children, I don't care much for small animals, whether dead, alive, or half-dead.

Tangentially, why do people walk dogs but never cats?

I have tried walking my cat, they freak out too much though. Last time I tried walking my roommate's cat and things were going fine but then he saw another cat and leaped off the balcony, suspended in mid air by his tangled harness. When I went to pick him up he bit straight through my hand. Luckily it didn't get infected and I didn't have to go to the hospital.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads