Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have issues with writing.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Mar 4, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

This thread inspired me (last night) to write several alphabets and attempt signing my own name properly, as I haven't done in years. It turns out my handwriting can be quite good or quite bad, depending on the pen, where I grip it, and whether I can get my hand to relax. I also have several different "typefaces" I write in, from a nearly completely-connected script to a hybrid stylized print/script to upright printing and to stylized graffiti/architecture type writing.

It also makes me want to get hold of a cheapish fountain pen and some good bond paper to practice on. I do have some thank you notes that need to be written and sent.

A modern Namiki fountain pen is fairly priced and the solid gold nibs are quite nicely flexed. I think you can get one for about $70.

2. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Agree. Rhythmic and graceful, and macabre.
    Think: Suddenly, Last Summer . . .
    Tomorrow, I'll post a larger sample of my own, script. [​IMG]

3. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

A modern Namiki fountain pen is fairly priced and the solid gold nibs are quite nicely flexed. I think you can get one for about $70.

I've also found great deals on pens from a defunct German company called Elysee on eBay. They're much thinner in the barrel than the typical Montblanc, which is how I prefer fountain pens. I've been using Elysee pens since the 1980s, and like them quite a bit.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

If you have a chance, try writing with a computer stylus and tablet. It's very strange the feedback you miss when no line appears directly under the pen. You can definitely find bad habits that may be causing tension in your writing under normal circumstances.

I like to mess around in Photoshop with my tablet using the calligraphic brushes and writing in various types of script. Something about putting a big black mark on "paper" is very satisfying, even if it's not real.

At one point (7th-8th grade, when I thought I wanted to be a graphic designer) I did get into calligraphy and bought a book to teach myself a simple script. Some remnants of that are still in my regular writing now, but I can't remember all of it to write something quickly.

5. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

My handwriting is awkward and childlike. It was the bane of my teachers from elementary school on, and I was ultimately saved by computers. It's been a source of embarrassment, but never enough to do something about it.

My mother-in-law, a 70-something product of a rural, one room schoolhouse, has a lovely and elegant writing style which is the product of continuous drill when she was young.

6. fatty

fatty Senior member

7. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I just got an umbrella, I suppose I need a nice pen now.

http://www.pendemonium.com/pens_namiki.htm

The pilot knight looks alright for $35. I will probably lose it in a few weeks anyways.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The Vanishing Namiki is not a bad pen although esthetically speaking, it's a bit mundane and not quite striking as some of the traditionally styled pens.

For a very fine writing experience, nothing can quite beat a vintage nib--perhaps, something from Pelikan or a Wahl.

9. EL72

EL72 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] Love it Fatty! Can I steal it for an avatar?

10. Todd

Todd Senior member

[​IMG]
    Unlike mine, yours is actually pretty neat and legible... Of course, I type almost all day and do so very quickly.

Still, I do send handwritten thank you cards and notes to friends a few times a year... After this thread I fear they have never actually be able to decipher them. [​IMG]

Todd

11. Todd

Todd Senior member

I just got an umbrella, I suppose I need a nice pen now.

http://www.pendemonium.com/pens_namiki.htm

The pilot knight looks alright for $35. I will probably lose it in a few weeks anyways.

I found some unique Elysee RB pens on Ebay for 35.00...

Todd

12. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

My handwriting is legible and I've been told it's interesting, but it's definitely not cursive. My hands shake way too badly when I grip a pen for that. However, it's also not block printing, so it's not so bad.

The content of writing is far more important than how it is conceived.

13. fatty

fatty Senior member

NALYSE THIS SHRINKS. I also like calligraphy, which i am slowly learning. [this thread is useless without pix] [​IMG]

14. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It appears you are using a medium nib?