I have issues with writing.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Mar 4, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

For my first post back from my exalted exile, I will write about the problem I have with handwriting.

Most people's handwriting--whether they are adults or children--is disgusting; an illiterate African immigrant could do better at grasping with a left hand.

Whenever I see whom I presume is a college educated person write with their nasty Bic pen, it brings to mind something like an ESL class or perhaps, the scribblings of a small monkey.

Indeed, they have even stopped teaching cursive in classrooms. Perhaps they should resume a Spencerian script or for Germany, the Sütterlin script in the classrooms.

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i have beautiful handwriting. it is a question not only of aesthetics, but also one of courtesy toward the reader.

ps
    welcome back.

3. Dormouse

Dormouse Senior member

I don't care for crabby handwriting myself but don't disparage the almighty Bic. Wonderful for doodling.

4. dusty

dusty Senior member

I have horrendous handwriting and I dare you to try and read it.

5. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

My handwriting would put a 96 year old Parkinson's-stricken widow's penmanship to shame.

6. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

It has been my experience that educational level means nothing, vis a vis the appearance of one's hand. You've seen my handwriting. I've never seen anything else, like it. Had nothing whatever to do with schooling. My sister had the same teacher; her hand is barely legible. A long lost cousin wrote a hand, similar to mine. I believe there's a genetic connection, and explanation, to handwriting.

7. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

Regardless, very well done vis a vis subtle digs at minorities, LK! [​IMG]

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Mine is horrible and only getting worse now that I use a computer for everything. It's something that requires practice, just like any other skill that involves a certain amount of dexterity.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Regardless, very well done vis a vis subtle digs at minorities, LK! [​IMG]
    Indeed, my British gentleman within disparages foreigners.[​IMG]

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have horrendous handwriting and I dare you to try and read it.
    I have a distinctive hand, especially when written fast. It's not dissimilar to this: [​IMG] However, for other occassions, I write in another format. None of my hands are particularly legible to a modern audience, who all prefer a juvenile block lettering scrawled; or as Orwell called it, "the neat handwriting of the illiterate".

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It has been my experience that educational level means nothing, vis a vis the appearance of one's hand. You've seen my handwriting. I've never seen anything else, like it. Had nothing whatever to do with schooling. My sister had the same teacher; her hand is barely legible. A long lost cousin wrote a hand, similar to mine. I believe there's a genetic connection, and explanation, to handwriting.
    Hello again Ivan, I understand your impressions of someone's educational background; however it seems in traditional educational backgrounds, handwriting was emphasized and especially something called "a business hand" which was some form of cursive. There was also an emphasis on ornamental signatures, very florid. Certainly, in the Victorian periods, men and women practiced their hand and even had numerous texts on how to practice.

12. Connemara

I have a distinctive hand, especially when written fast. It's not dissimilar to this:

[​IMG]

However, for other occassions, I write in another format. None of my hands are particularly legible to a modern audience, who all prefer a juvenile block lettering scrawled; or as Orwell called it "the neat handwriting of the illiterate".

Why do you write like that? It looks like dog shit smeared all over a piece of paper.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Why do you write like that? It looks like dog shit smeared all over a piece of paper.
    Is your Irish hand more pleasing? Do you write with verdant ink with the pleasant scents of an Irish Spring?

14. Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio

Gaius Pompeius Trimalchio Senior member

Why should educators spend time perfecting their students' handwriting? Like spelling, another obsession of K-12 teachers, it is a poor indicator of raw intelligence. Your initial post also suggests that handwriting does more to define class than intellect.

Have the recent decades not convinced you that a skill like handwriting is far inferior to typing? While I agree with you somewhat on an aesthetic level, LK, we might as well be talking about how kids these days have such poor stylus control (not the PDA kind, the wax tablet kind), or that their mastery of the hurdy-gurdy leaves much to be desired. Why not just wait it out until a keyboard is installed in the desk of every student? Then at least there will be no handwriting to complain about.

15. Connemara

Is your Irish hand more pleasing? Do you write with verdant ink with the pleasant scents of an Irish Spring?

I think anything is more pleasing than your elitist handwriting. Goes well with your attitude, though.