• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have issues with awesome

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Yesterday, I received a telephone call from a young lady at my dentist’s office indicating that it needed to change the date of my next appointment. When she proposed May 18 at 2:20 p.m., I agreed. She responded: “Awesome.” I said: “you must be from California.” She said that she was from Connecticut. I then said that I personally reserved the use of the term “awesome” for events like the second coming of Christ, not my acceptance of a proposed date of a dental appointment some 2 ½ months away.

By the way, I also have “issues with” with the phrase “issues with.” The most unusual use I have heard made of the phrase was just last week. I was watching “Fox & Friends,” on Fox Network News, when a newscaster announced that a small plane was circling an airport in California, using up its excess fuel. He said that it was doing so because it was having “issues with” its front landing gear and might have to make a crash landing.

I guess that I am getting old and cranky and have no use for such trendy talk. It runs in the family. My father died a couple of years ago, at age 90. A few years before that, we told him, a life-long left-wing Democrat, that it was not trendy to say that he “hated” Bush, Gingrich, or the Republicans. We said that he should say that he had “issues with” Bush, Gingrich, or the Republicans. He would have nothing of it, however.

Your thoughts about the current usage of the terms “awesome” and “issues with.”

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have issues with :
I mean,
you know what I am saying,
what's up?,
like,
My favorite: "whatever".
Also "Positive progress" and "Significant snow fall" .

I honestly think that Americans use around 100 phrases form English vocabulary.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
"Dear Mr. President: There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. I am not a crackpot."

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
"Dear Mr. President: There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. I am not a crackpot."
Whatever.
By sheer free association, I am reminded of a story my dad told me. Dad spent most of his professional life in the public housing field. Shortly after Carter took office, my dad sent a letter expressing his views on housing issues, more to satisfy himself than in expectation of a response. To his surprise, he received a detailed response from (well, at least under the signature of) Hamilton Jordan. Dad countered with a brief letter expressing how encouraging and refreshing it was to have government actually be responsive to citizen input. Shortly thereafter, he received a reply to this second letter, in the form of a "Dear Citizen, thank you for your input . . ." form letter.
Oh, but that bright and shining moment of optimism . . .

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
After seeing some made for TV movie in which a bunch of terrorists detonated a nuke in Savannah harbor, I sent a letter to Reagan asking how likely that was. I got what must have been a ten page response on American nuclear policy. I can't remember who it was signed by. But I was placated.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
After seeing some made for TV movie in which a bunch of terrorists detonated a nuke in Savannah harbor, I sent a letter to Reagan asking how likely that was. I got what must have been a ten page response on American nuclear policy. I can't remember who it was signed by. But I was placated.
Hello, Sport.

Why Savannah? Would the terrorists, like John Berendt, have chosen Savannah for its charming architecture and ingratiatingly quirky townsfolk?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Hello, Sport.
And you know what? A nuke never did go off in Savannah harbor. I'm not saying there's a connection, but ...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
And you know what? A nuke never did go off in Savannah harbor. I'm not saying there's a connection, but ...
Awesome.

Ken, what does ernest (b****d) think about those words? How's he doing, by the way?

kennethpollock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Awesome.

Ken, what does ernest (b****d) think about those words? How's he doing, by the way?

He could not read it due to computer problems (as shown below), but had read the thread about what I wore to the hospital, fearing I was at the end, and wanted to know which watch I had worn.
I did not remember, but said I wanted to die wearing my Audemars.

interesting but i can not read because of my virus = many letter are changed

[email protected] a ÃÂ
00a9.png
crit :
In a message dated 3/1/2007 10:51:02 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
with what watch you you plane to die ?

AP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I received a telephone call from a young lady at my dentist’s office indicating that it needed to change the date of my next appointment. When she proposed May 18 at 2:20 p.m., I agreed. She responded: “Awesome.†I said: “you must be from California.†She said that she was from Connecticut. I then said that I personally reserved the use of the term “awesome†for events like the second coming of Christ, not my acceptance of a proposed date of a dental appointment some 2 ½ months away.

By the way, I also have “issues with†with the phrase “issues with.†The most unusual use I have heard made of the phrase was just last week. I watch watching “Fox & Friends,†on Fox Network News, when a newscaster announced that a small plane was circling an airport in California, using up its excess fuel. He said that it was doing so because it had “issues with†its front landing gear and might have to make a crash landing.

I guess that I am getting old and cranky and have no use for such trendy talk. It runs in the family. My father died a couple of years ago, at age 90. A few years before that, we told him, a life-long left-wing Democrat, that it was not trendy to say that he “hated†Bush, Gingrich, or the Republicans. We said that he should say that he had “issues with†Bush, Gingrich, or the Republicans. He would have nothing of it, however.

Your thoughts about the current usage of the terms “awesome†and “issues with.â€

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best post I've read here in some time.
Thank you so very much for that contribution.
As a thank you, I'll plant an apple seed on your behalf to offset a bit of your "carbon footprint."

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

When Reagan first came in, as a class assignement (a throwaway assignment in a much more serious class on the presidency) I wrote in to the White House. I think it was expressing concern about the proposed elimination of the Department of Energy, not that I really knew what they did.

I got a postcard back, which was contained a very obviously photocopied of a staffer's signature. The message was something like "Thank you for your letter. Your views have been noted."

Just recently, my daughter did the same thing. Don't know if it was for school or not, but she felt strongly about how badly we've been treating the Indians for the last few centuries. She got a one-pager back that was actually more responsive to her situation. Can't remember if it had the POTUS's signature or not.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dear Sir I would like to take full responsibility for Savannah not facing any terrorist attacks so far.
I must be doing something right.

Yours truly, President Bush.

mizanation

Reaction score
kenneth, your pops sounds like he was an awesome dude. sorry to use that word, but whatever, it works.

did you see kurt vonnegut on the daily show? he is so old and crusty but he blew me away with how cool he was. i hope to be cool like your pops and kurt vonnegut when i'm old and crusty. if i make it that far.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that this whole thread is bitchin'.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think that this whole thread is bitchin'.

Like, totally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads