1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have bad teeth...

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by WhiskeyBent, Aug 9, 2010.

1. WhiskeyBent

WhiskeyBent Well-Known Member

So I am pretty content with the way I look, minus the fact that I have crooked teeth. They're not nastily yellow or anything, just out of alignment pretty good. I'm 21, so I'm just curious as to what my options are? It causes a bit of a self-confidence issue, and I'd like to get it fixed. Definitely don't want braces, but is it too late for the clear braces to work?

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

One of my hobbies is orthodontics. I would say, without ever seeing you or your mouth, that the invisible braces will definitely work on you and it is never to late to get your teeth straightened.

3. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

The less arrogant version of edmorel's response .. set up an appointment with an orthodontist. He's the only guy that will be able to tell you if clear braces will work or not. Your question is equivilent to asking "will this particular version of chemotheropy work on my unknown cancer?".

Generally though .. you need pretty straight teeth for clear braces to work. Any major realignment regardless of age is usually not recommended. My teeth were fairly crooked, nothing disfiguring, but noticable. Got a "absolutely not" from my orthodontist when I asked if it was an option.

And define "clear braces" .. I'm guessing you are taking about the plastic "mouthguard-like" inserts, and not the ceramic braces. Ceramic braces are normal braces but with clear ceramic brackets.
    [​IMG]

I have ceramic brackets, and only cost $100 extra over traditional steel braces. When my teeth are clean, and when talking with people who don't know I have braces .. they can't tell. I had a conversation with my cousin for 20 minutes and she only noticed the braces after I mentioned them.

4. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

If you think you need some braces, it will be much less socially awkward at 21 than it will at 30, trust me.

At 21 you shouldn't give much of a shit about your appearance outside of the narrow goal of getting laid. The level of booze involved in the hookup scene at your age should go a long way in getting women past your braces. They may even aid in snagging a perved-out cougar who has a thing for really young boys... Carve out a little niche for yourself.

Fast forward to 30 where you might be interested in finding a quality woman for the long-term and work in a supervisory role. Braces arent getting you much respect in either case...

5. WhiskeyBent

I was thinking along the lines of Invisaline. I also don't believe I can afford them. I know my parents won't pay for them and I'm not sure if my dental insurance will cover it. I suppose I just need to schedule an appointment with an orthodontist, as previously mentioned.

6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

your dental insurance will cover a portion of it. Probably up to half the cost. Your orthodontist may allow you to pay him over time.

7. mikej77

mikej77 Senior member

Invisalign, I got them at age 25 and they were well worth the investment.

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Braces on women are a big turn on for me. I wouldn't want them to be invisible.

9. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

I was thinking along the lines of Invisaline. I also don't believe I can afford them. I know my parents won't pay for them and I'm not sure if my dental insurance will cover it. I suppose I just need to schedule an appointment with an orthodontist, as previously mentioned.
    Invisalign are like mouth guards. I'm wearing them right now. Cosmetic dentistry shouldn't be fully covered by insurance, if at all.

10. Ippo

Ippo Senior member

Get the braces if you can, they'll definitely be worth it in the long run. Sacrificing 1-2 years for a perfect set of teeth for pretty much the rest of your life will be one of the best investments you'll ever make.

Some words of advice, when you get the braces off, make sure to wear your retainers as often as possible for as long as your dentist tells you to, or your teeth will shift back a bit to their original state.

Also, I believe depending on how crooked your teeth are, your dentist may tell you that Invisaline may not be suitable for you. In that case, you should still get the regular braces.

11. Saul Silver

Saul Silver Senior member

[​IMG]

12. Listi

Listi Senior member

Get the braces if you can, they'll definitely be worth it in the long run. Sacrificing 1-2 years for a perfect set of teeth for pretty much the rest of your life will be one of the best investments you'll ever make.

It is so true.

Invisalign or braces are both fine I'd say... I dunno, I know some people with clear braces and they make their teeth look odd. Having braces blows, but it's honestly one of the best and easiest investments in your appearance you can make.

[​IMG] keep wearing retainer at least once every few nights when you get braces off. I neglected to do this and my teeth started to shift, the retainer pushed them back into place within a few months but it felt painful and sensitive until they fixed into place and they're not QUITE as perfect as they used to be (but still excellent.)

13. WhiskeyBent

Thanks for the recommendations. I scheduled an appointment with an orthodontist to see what my best options are.

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Thanks for the recommendations. I scheduled an appointment with an orthodontist to see what my best options are.
    Good move. I hope it works out for you to get braces or it's equivalent, the sooner the better.

15. ANIKETOS

ANIKETOS Senior member

I unfortunately had braces when i was young.Completely ignored wearing the retainers afterwards and my teeth went back to worse than what they used to be.Now i have to think of invisaline and worse have to take out my wisdom teeth for that to work.I have been putting this off for years but now in my early thirties i have to do it and get it over with...

16. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

17. cez

cez Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

18. ANIKETOS

ANIKETOS Senior member

If ur referring to me no aim not, guess I am a perfectionist and people always like my smile and now the teeth have changed abit

19. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

If you think you need some braces, it will be much less socially awkward at 21 than it will at 30, trust me.

At 21 you shouldn't give much of a shit about your appearance outside of the narrow goal of getting laid. The level of booze involved in the hookup scene at your age should go a long way in getting women past your braces. They may even aid in snagging a perved-out cougar who has a thing for really young boys... Carve out a little niche for yourself.

Fast forward to 30 where you might be interested in finding a quality woman for the long-term and work in a supervisory role. Braces arent getting you much respect in either case...

[​IMG]

20. WhiskeyBent

Ok, so I found out I have no dental insurance through my parents, and if I did, they don't cover braces for anyone over 19. Since my parents are assholes, their point of view is "If you want them, pay for them yourself." I have zero credit, so how would I go about paying for them?