• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have an important question to ask about you

wilson brother

Reaction score
Hey guys-

I hope your don't think its strange for me asking this
lookaround.gif
but I am curious about your answers.

This is something that i've been thinking about alot for the last week..so maybe your response will tell me something about my own answer.

Thanks for the cooperation
cool.gif

-Danny Wilson

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Danny Wilson = weird dude.

That being said, I'd rather be "someone" rather than "no one". And I don't really give a crap if I'm alone or not.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without someone you are no one anyway

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I disagree. That seems really, incredibly emo. If regular people 'need' a partner, I'm really glad to be abnormal.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree. We are social beings and need others to feel good, bad...

Even when I am really down or feeling like an idiot from a professional standpoint, as soon as I open the door and my kids run into my arms, or my wife gives me a hug and says something nice, it's like nothing ever happened and I couldn't care less about work. The reverse is also true though. That said, I would much rather be a nobody in the company of my family than a professionally successful person without them. It's not even close.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I disagree. That seems really, incredibly emo. If regular people 'need' a partner, I'm really glad to be abnormal.

+1 on self reliance.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
+1 on self reliance.
+1. What an ego-centric bunch we are.

Reaction score
i chose no one with someone

i aspire to be "no one" and i've already got someone, so the choice was obvious.

wilson brother

Reaction score
Hey guys-

I'm not so sure and yet I know
cool.gif
..but i'm a little surprised by the poll
wow.gif

if your someone without anyone to share it with how are you anybody
confused.gif
?

I guess this will be a burning question.

-Danny Wilson

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wilson brother
Hey guys-

I'm not so sure and yet I know
cool.gif
..but i'm a little surprised by the poll
wow.gif

if your someone without anyone to share it with how are you anybody
confused.gif
?

I guess this will be a burning question.

-Danny Wilson

Danny, if you really need help from an outside influence, whether its a relationship, alcolol, gambling, food, or whatever, to "feel whole" or to "be somebody". you are in fact, nobody.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Danny, if you really need help from an outside influence, whether its a relationship, alcolol, gambling, food, or whatever, to "feel whole" or to "be somebody". you are in fact, nobody.
Everyone needs an outside influence to have the impression that they are somebody.

The original question is a choice of 2 extremes. Of course, I don`t need a partner to be somebody, but I know that life is not complete without my partner.

The next question is, what does it take to be somebody? If it has nothing to do with sharing life with a partner or family, then is it social status or materialistic? or do you just declare yourself as being somebody?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Everyone needs an outside influence to have the impression that they are somebody.

I disagree. I'm not insecure enough to need constant praise or positive reinforcement from someone else. Its nice when it happens, but do I need it? No.

The next question is, what does it take to be somebody? If it has nothing to do with sharing life with a partner or family, then is it social status or materialistic? or do you just declare yourself as being somebody?
I think that "being somebody" at least to me, is being yourself. If you need someone else around you to "be yourself" then something is wrong.

I'm not looking at it from a fame and fortune standpoint, but both of those aren't intrinsicly linked to a significant other either, unless your name is Kevin Federline.

I really don't get this whole "You're nobody till somebody (else) loves you" thing. I mean, seriously. This is 2006. That **** is some weird codependant psychological dinosaur from the 50's that refuses to die.

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I disagree. I'm not insecure enough to need constant praise or positive reinforcement from someone else. Its nice when it happens, but do I need it? No.

I think that "being somebody" at least to me, is being yourself. If you need someone else around you to "be yourself" then something is wrong.

I'm not looking at it from a fame and fortune standpoint, but both of those aren't intrinsicly linked to a significant other either, unless your name is Kevin Federline.

I really don't get this whole "You're nobody till somebody (else) loves you" thing. I mean, seriously. This is 2006. That **** is some weird codependant psychological dinosaur from the 50's that refuses to die.

exactly.
i can't relate to or understand people that constantly feel the need to be in a relationship with someone because they NEED the attention and are too afraid to be alone.
everyone else sucks anyway.
smile.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Define someone.

Is being someone defined by recognition? Approbation? Celebrity? Recognition? Songs sung and stories written about you?

Is being with someone defined by romance? Lust? Need? Loneliness?

This question has only two facets of the same answer. Whether you desire the adoration of one or the adulation of many, you have defined the question with a need of an external definition of who you are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads