1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have an important question to ask about you

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wilson brother, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Right, I understand your position that love or a significant other is not necessary to be successful in life. I still don`t understand your version of a successful life though.

Why not? Its a pretty easy concept to wrap your head around. I don't know how much better I can say it than just "be yourself". How about, "Don't give a shit what everyone else thinks and do your own thing"? How about "Persue your goals and ideals without regard for any dissenting opinons"?

If you can figure out a way to live your life the way you want to live it, that is success.

No, its not. Its even less easy when people put all sorts of fallacious restrictions on themselves, like "you have to get married" or you have to dress well to be a success... or whatever it might be.

2. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Well, I guess I am a successful person [​IMG]

3. wilson brother

wilson brother Senior member

Hey guys-

I wasn't only talking about having a girl or to be married. I guess you think of me as Mr. romantic [​IMG]

If you have no one..I guess you couldn't post here either [​IMG] and this place would be very quiet. How could we help each other than?

-Danny Wilson

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think it's fairly clear that people are social animals and need other people around in some context.

However, the question, as asked, seems more relevant when interpreted to discuss emphasis on career or relationships.

5. wilson brother

Hey guys-

Ive found out something.. Im not so tall..as I like to think I am [​IMG] but i'll get by with a little help from my friends [​IMG]

-Danny Wilson

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

No offense to wilson bro, but I frankly hate these sorts of insipid falsely boolean Vogue-type questions. Kind of like "Do you live to work, or work to live." I still remember being asked that on a first date once. My response was "that's such a bullshit question."
    No second date. Oh well.
    To the extent there's a request for actual advice buried in there, I'll say this:
    If you don't feel like you can be your own person - be "somebody" - within whatever relationship you're in, that's probably a f'd-up unhealthy relationship. And, to look at it from a different angle, unless you feel at least a certain measure of self-sufficiency it's hard to see how you can expect to end up with "somebody" who's worth being with.

7. wilson brother

No offense to wilson bro, but I frankly hate these sorts of insipid falsely boolean Vogue-type questions. Kind of like "Do you live to work, or work to live." I still remember being asked that on a first date once. My response was "that's such a bullshit question."
    No second date. Oh well.
    To the extent there's a request for actual advice buried in there, I'll say this:
    If you don't feel like you can be your own person - be "somebody" - within whatever relationship you're in, that's probably a f'd-up unhealthy relationship. And, to look at it from a different angle, unless you feel at least a certain measure of self-sufficiency it's hard to see how you can expect to end up with "somebody" who's worth being with.

Hey Lawyerdad-

I thought you were a married guy..so I think your wife must be happy that you didnt have a second date [​IMG]

I agree with your advice but really I wanted to see how other people here felt about the importance of friendship.

-Danny Wilson

8. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Hey guys-

I wasn't only talking about having a girl or to be married. I guess you think of me as Mr. romantic [​IMG]

-Danny Wilson

Well dude, if you're conception of California isn't romanticized, then I don't know what it.

9. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

When I look at someone who's successful professionally, but goes home to an empty apartment, i think to myself: "loser."

Personally though, I don't really see why it has to be a choice between the two. My fiance is the world to me, but, I still have high aspirations in my professional life and work hard to achieve them.

10. Charley

Charley Senior member

Without someone you are no one anyway

+six dozen

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

When I look at someone who's successful professionally, but goes home to an empty apartment, i think to myself: "loser."

Personally though, I don't really see why it has to be a choice between the two. My fiance is the world to me, but, I still have high aspirations in my professional life and work hard to achieve them.

Well, some industries are certainly not particularly conducive to traditional relationships, especially ones that involve a lot of travel, not to say that people aren't able to move past that, but certainly you would think a management consulting associate, especially one working internationally, would be less likely to "settle down" than someone working a 9-5 job with no travel in industry. That's certainly a lifestyle choice in and of itself.

12. wilson brother

Hey Odor-

I don't think that someone who is lonely is a loser but it does make me sad [​IMG] .

You never went home to an empty place?

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Why not? Its a pretty easy concept to wrap your head around. I don't know how much better I can say it than just "be yourself". How about, "Don't give a shit what everyone else thinks and do your own thing"? How about "Persue your goals and ideals without regard for any dissenting opinons"?

If you can figure out a way to live your life the way you want to live it, that is success.

No, its not. Its even less easy when people put all sorts of fallacious restrictions on themselves, like "you have to get married" or you have to dress well to be a success... or whatever it might be.

Hmm, mixing the concepts of marriage and "fallacious restrictions". There's a Freudian pun, or something, in there somewhere.

14. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I'd be happy being a nobody with Monica Bellucci[​IMG]

15. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Still quoting the Stone Roses are we?

16. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Hmm, mixing the concepts of marriage and "fallacious restrictions". There's a Freudian pun, or something, in there somewhere.

heh -- yeah, someone's a cunning linguist.

17. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I interpreted the query as "would you rather be a famous _____ but have no close friends, sig other etc....or would you rather be a a regular joe working a regular job but having close friends, sig other etc"

in which case the answer was pretty obvious.

18. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

No one with someone.

Because Maslow says so...

[​IMG]

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

[​IMG]

20. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

...and a master debator