1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I have an important question to ask about you

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wilson brother, Oct 20, 2006.

1. wilson brother

wilson brother Senior Member

Hey guys-

I hope your don't think its strange for me asking this [​IMG] but I am curious about your answers.

This is something that i've been thinking about alot for the last week..so maybe your response will tell me something about my own answer.

Thanks for the cooperation [​IMG]

-Danny Wilson

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Danny Wilson = weird dude.

That being said, I'd rather be "someone" rather than "no one". And I don't really give a crap if I'm alone or not.

3. Dragon

Dragon Distinguished Member

Without someone you are no one anyway

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

A metaphysical question.

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I disagree. That seems really, incredibly emo. If regular people 'need' a partner, I'm really glad to be abnormal.

6. EL72

EL72 Distinguished Member

I agree. We are social beings and need others to feel good, bad...

Even when I am really down or feeling like an idiot from a professional standpoint, as soon as I open the door and my kids run into my arms, or my wife gives me a hug and says something nice, it's like nothing ever happened and I couldn't care less about work. The reverse is also true though. That said, I would much rather be a nobody in the company of my family than a professionally successful person without them. It's not even close.

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I disagree. That seems really, incredibly emo. If regular people 'need' a partner, I'm really glad to be abnormal.

+1 on self reliance.

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Stylish Dinosaur

+1 on self reliance.
    +1. What an ego-centric bunch we are.

9. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

i chose no one with someone

i aspire to be "no one" and i've already got someone, so the choice was obvious.

10. wilson brother

wilson brother Senior Member

Hey guys-

I'm not so sure and yet I know [​IMG]..but i'm a little surprised by the poll [​IMG]

if your someone without anyone to share it with how are you anybody [​IMG] ?

I guess this will be a burning question.

-Danny Wilson

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Hey guys-

I'm not so sure and yet I know [​IMG]..but i'm a little surprised by the poll [​IMG]

if your someone without anyone to share it with how are you anybody [​IMG] ?

I guess this will be a burning question.

-Danny Wilson

Danny, if you really need help from an outside influence, whether its a relationship, alcolol, gambling, food, or whatever, to "feel whole" or to "be somebody". you are in fact, nobody.

12. Dragon

Dragon Distinguished Member

Everyone needs an outside influence to have the impression that they are somebody.

The original question is a choice of 2 extremes. Of course, I don`t need a partner to be somebody, but I know that life is not complete without my partner.

The next question is, what does it take to be somebody? If it has nothing to do with sharing life with a partner or family, then is it social status or materialistic? or do you just declare yourself as being somebody?

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Everyone needs an outside influence to have the impression that they are somebody.

I disagree. I'm not insecure enough to need constant praise or positive reinforcement from someone else. Its nice when it happens, but do I need it? No.

I think that "being somebody" at least to me, is being yourself. If you need someone else around you to "be yourself" then something is wrong.

I'm not looking at it from a fame and fortune standpoint, but both of those aren't intrinsicly linked to a significant other either, unless your name is Kevin Federline.

I really don't get this whole "You're nobody till somebody (else) loves you" thing. I mean, seriously. This is 2006. That shit is some weird codependant psychological dinosaur from the 50's that refuses to die.

14. shellshock

shellshock Forum Mascot

I disagree. I'm not insecure enough to need constant praise or positive reinforcement from someone else. Its nice when it happens, but do I need it? No.

I think that "being somebody" at least to me, is being yourself. If you need someone else around you to "be yourself" then something is wrong.

I'm not looking at it from a fame and fortune standpoint, but both of those aren't intrinsicly linked to a significant other either, unless your name is Kevin Federline.

I really don't get this whole "You're nobody till somebody (else) loves you" thing. I mean, seriously. This is 2006. That shit is some weird codependant psychological dinosaur from the 50's that refuses to die.

exactly.
    i can't relate to or understand people that constantly feel the need to be in a relationship with someone because they NEED the attention and are too afraid to be alone.
    everyone else sucks anyway. [​IMG]

15. Arethusa

Arethusa Distinguished Member

Define someone.

Is being someone defined by recognition? Approbation? Celebrity? Recognition? Songs sung and stories written about you?

Is being with someone defined by romance? Lust? Need? Loneliness?

This question has only two facets of the same answer. Whether you desire the adoration of one or the adulation of many, you have defined the question with a need of an external definition of who you are.