• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"I have a skin care question" thread

i killed judas.

Reaction score
Although I am a rather new poster, I have lurked for quite some time, and I constantly see people posting a million topics on here about acne and other skin-care problems. I figured that since I finally have my own questions, I should start a compiled thread for skin-care questions, similar to the "I have a jean question" thread in SW&D.

1.) I have an excessively "shiny" forehead at times. I have tried every type of moisturizer and face wash in attempt to tame the sheen, but with no success. Are there any suggestions for this problem?

2.) I have what seems to be large pores in my T-zone/nose area. This creates uncontrollable blackhead problems in this area. Is there any remedy for large pores to possibly "shrink" them down and in essence have less blackheads?

Cavalier

Reaction score
Astringent to remove debris, toner to close the pores and then a decent facial moisturizer to seal your face back up.

You can get stuff at your local drug store or spend bigger $$ off the internet/department stores/Sephora for nicer products.

turbozed

Reaction score
Buy the best slant edge set of tweezers you can find and go to town removing **** from your pores every morning.

Technique is to push down on the pore in between the edges of the tweezers until the stuff pops out. You can squeeze and grab the stuff with the tweezers afterwards.

Another thing you can try is the Biore strips to remove the blackheads. There's "Men's Biore" at Japanese markets you can use that are stronger (and larger).

Casey

Reaction score
Do you ever use clay face washes or masks? I've noticed that when I use my Dermalogica clay face wash, my face takes longer to get oily. However, it's still shiny by the end of the day. I probably could prevent that by using blotting pads but I'm usually too lazy because it's not like anybody sees me at the end of the day anyway.

lycan

Reaction score
are these acne scars? is there anything i could do about it?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I recommend seeing a dermatologist.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lycan

Probably do as much as you can about it now while your young and have the greatest healing potential. Which is why the previous posters suggestion to see a dermatologist makes a lot of sense.

GucciKid

Reaction score

Those look like marks to me, which will heal in time. I would, however, see a dermatologist or start some kind of treatment, so as to avoid your condition worsening into anything that will leave scars.

Check out this website www.acne.org. Particularly the message boards. Some great information.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^
I had mild acne (though I'm a perfectionist and I thought it was horrible), I seeked out Acne.org to try to find a way to control my breakouts. That was sometime last year and I've had impeccable skin since, the guy sells some really inexpensive, stuff that works, and is harmless unlike proactive.

kaiimac

Reaction score

That is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Scars are the holes or "craters" that occur even after the skin is no longer red. I would also suggest going to a dermatologist, who could possibly laser the marks. Alternatively, you would benefit from a good skin care regime that includes cleansing, toning, and moisturizing while incorporating some kind of Beta Hydroxy Acid (e.g. Salicylic Acid) to speed up cell turnover.

I also suggest acne.org, and above all, wear sunscreen spf-15 or higher EVERY DAY!

lycan

Reaction score
thanks for all the responses!
im checking out acne.org atm but about the dermatologist. ive been to one in the past, and it wasnt too great an experience. i mean, she walked in, looked at me for a couple seconds and prescribed me a bunch of topical treatment. she didnt give me any instructions and i would have asked questions about it and acne in general, but she always seemed like she was in a hurry. but i tried it for a couple months with no good results. i have oily skin so moisturizing always makes my skin look worse.
any recommendations on over the counter products?

GucciKid

Reaction score
Just do some searches or read up on that site, lots of info on moisturizers and stuff like that. If you do decide to use Benzoyl Peroxide, be very very careful with it and your clothes, as it will royally **** them up ala bleach.

aleeboy

Reaction score
For your sheen, I would recommend using blotting paper. I have tried many different kinds of products (Kiehls, Lab Series, Biotherm, Clinique, Loreal, Clarins, Neutrogena) and they have offered little in helping to keep the oil at bay. My saviour came in the form of a little pack containing blue sheets.

I have a different view when it comes to pores. I have heard from numerous very vain girls that touching them in anyways will leave a permanent unfilled pore hole in your mug. I don't know what's worse, a pore hole thats filled with gunk, or one where you can look into your sole through. I would suggest leaving them alone and using a good toner to try to get it to close up.

As a general guide, foam wash cleaners are better at giving you a good clean (I like the squeeky clean feel) and opt for a mosturiser that absorbs well into your skin. If you have dry skin, your pores will produce excessive oil to lube you up. Some water based products (Clinique) don't really provide any moisture for me. I would say that Biotherm products are very good.

kaiimac

Reaction score
Yes, do NOT take a tweezer to your face! It will make it scar even worse. Also, it is a myth that moisturizing oily skin will make it worse. If you use a light moisturizer, your skin will get used to it. Your skin creates oil to moisturize itself, so after using a moisturizer for a while, it actually causes your skin to produce LESS oil.

I went years without using a moisturizer, and I look 1000 times better now that I do. It just takes a while to adjust.

scugger

Reaction score
Regarding the shiney/oily forhead.... I'm oily as hell and I have found success with the Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets 2-3 times a day. They're incredible. They are like $6 for a pack of 50 or so at the drugstore. I recently start buying mine from some dude in Hong Kong on EBay named "terryyuen72"... you can get them for 1/3 of the price and as an added bonus the packaging is extra asian.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads