• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Bleedblue

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice on brands to try for new jeans. I have a couple pairs of FRAME jeans in their slim fit that I love. Only issue is that their material is really lightweight - not a great look with boots or heavier shoes.

Can anyone recommend a brand that has a similar fit with a more rigid material? Just need some basic dark wash jeans, nothing fancy, but would like something made in US/EU and durable.

ETA or Japan of course. Price under 250 ideally.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not familiar with frame but that's a very hard question to answer either way, we would need more info on your size and what exactly you are looking for. take a look back through the thread and see what stands out to you. a lot of people start this crazy journey with APC, they have a slim fit.

Bleedblue

Reaction score
Thanks @tropics! Recognize fitting jeans by consensus over the internet is nearly impossible; I'm just hoping to winnow down the field for a trip to a dept store.

What I'm looking for: a slim-fit dark wash jean that works for the office and for weekends - 14-15" leg opening, simple dark wash, mid-rise so I can tuck a shirt in, some heft. Not interested in breaking in super-raw denim, cool as that stuff looks.

My size: 5'9" and 180lb - athletic legs, but a nice "at the office too long" tire round the middle. I'm a true 36" waist, 30" inseam (I know I'll have to cuff or tailor anything I buy).

I'm going to give Gustin's Slim 1968 a try - at $68 if they suck I can write it off. I'm struggling to figure out what else I should try. I remember giving APCs a try a couple years back and found that, at my waist size, the thigh and leg opening looked really baggy. Appreciate any advice I can get!

doomx

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Sid Mashburn's denim?

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/jeans-and-5-pockets/non-selvedge-denim-slim-rinse-straight-jean.html

At $125 and being able to return, would these be a decent value?

I don't know where these are made but $125 for non selvedge denim seems pretty expensive.

Now if you are after a pair with high rise and slight taper (501 mod), this can be hard to find, so I can appreciate dropping $125 for a hard to find fit. Any other pair I can think of that comes in such fit costs at least $60 more but they are also using selvedge in theory better quality denim (although I really don't know who makes the One you linked).

_gj

Reaction score
I don't know where these are made but $125 for non selvedge denim seems pretty expensive.

Now if you are after a pair with high rise and slight taper (501 mod), this can be hard to find, so I can appreciate dropping $125 for a hard to find fit. Any other pair I can think of that comes in such fit costs at least $60 more but they are also using selvedge in theory better quality denim (although I really don't know who makes the One you linked).

Hey doomx, thank you for the feedback. It looks like they maybe made in the US with American denim, but like you said - they don't specify the manufacturer or the mill...seems a little vague. I'll try contacting them for more information.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm looking for a higher rise, slight taper, 100% cotton, non-selvedge pair of jeans. I think that selvedge denim and that process of wearing in is great, but I think that I'm looking to fill a different gap at the moment. I had a pair of Land's End Canvas Made in USA pair of jeans (circa 2013) before they discontinued that line, and it was perfect for my needs. However, I'm in the market now for something similar, but I'm finding that most jeans are either higher-end selvedge or spandex infused.

Pierre Alefjord

Reaction score
Hi,

Im looking for a pair jeans with a high waist, to or above the belly button. Preferably with a tapered fit. Right now I´ve only found Chad Prom but looking for other brands too. Any advice on where I can find a pair of jeans that fit these requirements?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Hey doomx, thank you for the feedback. It looks like they maybe made in the US with American denim, but like you said - they don't specify the manufacturer or the mill...seems a little vague. I'll try contacting them for more information.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm looking for a higher rise, slight taper, 100% cotton, non-selvedge pair of jeans. I think that selvedge denim and that process of wearing in is great, but I think that I'm looking to fill a different gap at the moment. I had a pair of Land's End Canvas Made in USA pair of jeans (circa 2013) before they discontinued that line, and it was perfect for my needs. However, I'm in the market now for something similar, but I'm finding that most jeans are either higher-end selvedge or spandex infused.
Apologies if I'm misreading your post and you already know this, but "selvedge" and "process of wearing in" really speak to two different concepts.

_gj

Reaction score
Apologies if I'm misreading your post and you already know this, but "selvedge" and "process of wearing in" really speak to two different concepts.

Hey lawyerdad, correct. Thanks for making that distinction as I did not do it properly. I meant the process of care that comes along with selvedge denim. And perhaps, I still misunderstand that concept as well.

I apologize for the ignorance, I'm still learning. I'm not particularly interested in the best process to optimize fades. I'm more interested in a decent pair of jeans that will wear comfortably out the door without the process involved of soaking and hand washing. Low maintenance. But also with the understanding that this "low-maintenance" pair may not last as long as a solid good pair of selvedge.

Maybe I'm in the wrong ballpark. Haha. I apologize if I am.

I guess in the end, my thought was that Sid Mashburn, or another offering of American milled and manufactured denim, may be an alternative to my older Land's End Canvas denim - but perhaps seeking a step above that pair as well. But it seems to be harder and harder to find 100% cotton denim that isn't selvedge and that is from an American mill. Again, maybe I'm confusing the issues.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Hey lawyerdad, correct. Thanks for making that distinction as I did not do it properly. I meant the process of care that comes along with selvedge denim. And perhaps, I still misunderstand that concept as well.

I apologize for the ignorance, I'm still learning. I'm not particularly interested in the best process to optimize fades. I'm more interested in a decent pair of jeans that will wear comfortably out the door without the process involved of soaking and hand washing. Low maintenance. But also with the understanding that this "low-maintenance" pair may not last as long as a solid good pair of selvedge.

Maybe I'm in the wrong ballpark. Haha. I apologize if I am.

I guess in the end, my thought was that Sid Mashburn, or another offering of American milled and manufactured denim, may be an alternative to my older Land's End Canvas denim - but perhaps seeking a step above that pair as well. But it seems to be harder and harder to find 100% cotton denim that isn't selvedge and that is from an American mill. Again, maybe I'm confusing the issues.
All good. THe distinction I was referencing is between selvedge/nonselvedge ( which loosely speaking has to do with how the actual fabric is created) and raw/non raw (loosely has to deal with the dye status and propensity to shrink). Most of the fussy breaking in stuff has to do more with the latter, I believe.

_gj

Reaction score
All good. THe distinction I was referencing is between selvedge/nonselvedge ( which loosely speaking has to do with how the actual fabric is created) and raw/non raw (loosely has to deal with the dye status and propensity to shrink). Most of the fussy breaking in stuff has to do more with the latter, I believe.

Ok, that's my mistake then - I should have known better than to make that error. So generally speaking, I am looking for a non-raw selvedge denim.

I realize there is probably a world of options out there in that market. Outside of Gustin, are there any recommended brands that would fit the higher rise, tapered leg, 100% cotton, milled and manufactured in USA description?

I still need to contact Sid Mashburn to inquire about the specifics of their brand. Let me see if that yields anything.

Thanks for your help!

andy b.

Reaction score
gj,

You're over thinking it and believing too much of what you read online. The main difference with raw denim is that the length may shrink a little after the first time you wash it. Otherwise raw denim is denim that hasn't been washed, faded, had holes put in it for "style", and whatever other distressing the jeans they sell at the local mall have had done to them. You can throw any pair of jeans in the washer and dryer as often as you want. You won't get "sick fades", but who really cares.

I will say, I only buy raw selvedge myself because the quality of it is better than anything sold at stores near me. Plus I like button flies and putting wear on jeans myself instead of letting manufacturers wear them out before I buy them.

Measure a pair of jeans you own that fit how you like, check out the fit guide for some jeans you like, match to your measurements, and order away.

Ok, that's my mistake then - I should have known better than to make that error. So generally speaking, I am looking for a non-raw selvedge denim.

I realize there is probably a world of options out there in that market. Outside of Gustin, are there any recommended brands that would fit the higher rise, tapered leg, 100% cotton, milled and manufactured in USA description?

I still need to contact Sid Mashburn to inquire about the specifics of their brand. Let me see if that yields anything.

Thanks for your help!

doomx

Reaction score

Thanks for your help!

I am no denim expert but I will try to give you some options since I went through similar though process recently. I wanted to keep the budget around $150.

Some options are:
CT100x, LVC 1954, PBJ xx-015, warehouse 1000xx, Railcar finer goods journeyman.

A lot is also dependent on the size. I find that if you go way up in waist size, the overall cut is quite different. I ended up getting one washed LVC 1954 and I love the fit. I also got the MiUSA 501STF and after a soak, the rise was not that great and they needed extra taper by my tailor.

All in all, I think this is a tough combination unless you spend over $200.

If you want mid rise more than high rise, try the Unbranded UB201 and even the Levi's 541. Alternatively, your best and easier bet is to get some classic 501s (non STF) which are high rise and have them tapered by your tailor.

Tim Ross

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I am a short 5'8" guy with skinny legs and skinny ankles!

I was wondering if you could recommend some good brands to try out? Obviously I'm going to have to get my jeans hemmed (unless I go the Levi's, H&M, Topman route - and even then), but I'm having HUGE trouble finding good solid jeans that aren't too skinny..any thoughts?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads