1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

In terms of quality I would say no, but with with acne you're paying for the cut more than anything else.

2. JackL2

JackL2 Active Member

I bought a pair of sanforized jeans between 11 and 12 oz. I know that the relatively lighter weight denim won't produce the same contrast fades as a heavier, even 14 oz. weight, but I'm still very much curious how it'll turn out. Does anyone have any photos of faded ~11.5 oz. denim?

Regardless of pictures, what should I expect with this pair down the road? Thanks!

3. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

it'll still fade and if you wear them pretty hard, you can still get pretty great looking fades. APC jeans are around 12oz and there are plenty of high contrast fades

4. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

RRL slim fit rigid or PRPS Rambler raw?

5. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Wow. So the quality isn't there so your just paying for fit with acne?

6. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Is this Gustins first batch? Considering ordering some.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  7. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

are you asking if the current jeans on the site are still their first batch? with gustin you'll have repeats that cycle through the store while other jeans will come in a limited run. so depending on what you order, you may or may not have the first batch of jeans. if you're triyng to see if people are satisfied with their product in general, go visit the gustin thread. people have been posting their thoughts and reviews of the jeans.

8. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

Guess I should elaborate - you should be buying a pair of acnes because you like the cut, not because you're worried about the quality. Their quality is ok, nowhere near the best though. That's why the focus is more so on the cut.

9. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

I've got a pair of acne jeans from a few years ago. The fades are a kind of gray, which can be cool since that way your "high contrast fades" are there but the look is subdued somewhat. i haven't noticed any construction issues. I did have to replace the zipper on them, but the pair is tight-fitting in the waist so that zipper just got wrecked.

I really like the fit on my pair and have thought of buying another pair a size larger in the future.

Somewhere it's been written about how Acne uses cheap-looking denim on purpose; I'm not sure exactly what was meant by it. It's not like that matters to basically anyone.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  10. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

not the biggest fan of prps in general. between the two, i'd go with the rrl slim fit rigids. i've always liked how they look and fit although they're a tad pricy for what they offer but they're a solid pair of jeans.

11. jm22

jm22 Senior member

Question: I have two pairs of 3sixteen jeans in size 36. Recently I lost weight and I'm probably a size 34 now. The waist on the jeans are fairly loose and sag a bit in the crotch. Should I expect a tailor to do a reasonable take-in or is it a lost cause?

12. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

depends exactly how much needs to be taken in. i've seen jeans taken in on the waist .5 to MAYBE an inch and it came out ok but anymore than that, then the jeans will fit a little strange. since you do have two pairs, it's worth asking a tailor to see if it's possible w/o it fitting weird. good luck!

13. Filipe

Filipe Senior member

]I've bought a pair of Levis 501 and I would like to know your opinion on how it fits me. I'll probably taper them from the knee down by 1 or 2 centimeters but at the same time I like the straight leg. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Jbravo

Jbravo Senior member

Don't really understand what's the point of buying straight-legged jeans if eventually you want them to be tapered. I would buy at least one size smaller. They look too loose for this particular model.

15. breakz

breakz Senior member

Haven't bought a pair of jeans in who-knows-how-long but my APC NS are finally starting to disintegrate. Can you guys recommend an alternative?

I love the fit, but was hoping for higher-quality denim. $250 max. Also would appreciate advice on sizing, since I know NS can be weird (I've got 29s right now).

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  16. ahdaeeeee

ahdaeeeee Well-Known Member

I got a pair of Acne 2 years ago. Like you mentioned the fit it awesome, was wondering if there is any other brands that has similar fit? About time to get a new pair of denims!

17. Filipe

Filipe Senior member

In my case I really like the rise and fit in the thigh area but I would like them slimmer across the legs. It also helps that I can get 501s for about 60€. I don't like the rise on the other Levis fits (514, 511) and I don't have a a lot of choice of raw denim in Portugal.

18. suited

suited Senior member

Speaking of straight leg - I can't ever find jeans at local stores that fit me. Everything is way too tight on my thighs (squats). I ordered a pair of Nudie's Average Joe (org. steve replica). I hope this solves my problem because the jeans look great online, and I love stiff denim.

19. TheSoonest

TheSoonest Senior member

For slim straight under 250, I'd recommend 3sixteen sl, baldwin reed or Henley if you want slimmer, Tellason John graham mellor, rrl slim straight,

20. Bortelli

Bortelli Senior member

looking for a jean thats pretty slim fitting, but no ridicously tight. Slim Straight.

Secondly, I read on some forums that jeans made of cotton are not very flattering on skinny men, considering that the pants stack? Is that true?
    I don't like how levi's look on me :/
    Finally, is there any other fabric besides cotton that you would reccomend for a jean?