I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Yeah, that was probably me. Did you try Denimbar? They carry KMW too.

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

^sweet - thanks!

you are the person who recommended the rpm, right? - I'm not quite there but considering kmw 1980 [​IMG] - too bad dresscodes has not answered my note...

Have you tried calling them?

3. bbigsby

bbigsby Well-Known Member

I just bought a pair of KMW 2010s one wash. I sized down one and the waist feels sized down but with stretch I think it will be fine. My question is regarding the tightness in the crotch. Does raw denim stretch the same amount in the thighs/crotch as the waist? Did you guys who own raw denim experience tightness in the crotch initially? Any info would be appreciated as I'm thinking of exchanging for my true waist size for more "breathability". Thanks.

4. izlat

izlat Senior member

Yeah, that was probably me. Did you try Denimbar? They carry KMW too.

I'm currently in Atlanta and I really prefer to try jeans on - it often takes several iterations to find what I like on me for jeans. Having said this, if Self Edge had the Sugar Cane Okinawa (I think that's the model) in my size I'd be seriously tempted [​IMG]

Have you tried calling them?

Not yet - I've been working early to late so haven't had a chance in regular hours - that's why I sent an email last weekend

Thanks!

5. izlat

izlat Senior member

... My question is regarding the tightness in the crotch. Does raw denim stretch the same amount in the thighs/crotch as the waist? Did you guys who own raw denim experience tightness in the crotch initially? Any info would be appreciated as I'm thinking of exchanging for my true waist size for more "breathability". Thanks.

I have stretched non-raw jeans by hand before wearing with *good* results - but this may be a no-no so better wait for comfirmation from the resident experts before you try it. I imagine this does put a lot of artificial stress on the fabric.

But from what I hear - if you buy your regular size they will be too big later?

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I'm currently in Atlanta and I really prefer to try jeans on - it often takes several iterations to find what I like on me for jeans. Having said this, if Self Edge had the Sugar Cane Okinawa (I think that's the model) in my size I'd be seriously tempted [​IMG]

Not yet - I've been working early to late so haven't had a chance in regular hours - that's why I sent an email last weekend

Thanks!

Self Edge is a great place to pick up some Japanese repro denim, they do have sugarcane Okinawa but you have to check it out if they still have your size.
    i think there is a sf discount? ask Kiya. really cool guy

Denimbar is a great place to pick up US denim premium brands - 5EP and KMW. 20% off for sf members all the time. and Mauro is a cool gentleman.

BiG - www.blueingreensoho.com i have to admit is where i got my last 3 pairs: Somet, Eternal, and Pure blue Japan.
    they got a more eclectic collection of japanese denim in both repro and modern cuts brands.
    talk to Johnny or Gordon. both really cool guys. really

right now, i cannot really think of any other place to get premium , un-ubiquitous , top dollar denim other than those Big Three.

7. dave

dave Senior member

right now, i cannot really think of any other place to get premium , un-ubiquitous , top dollar denim other than those Big Three.

I just received a pair of Cougars from Ande Whall and I have to say, they're outSTANDing!
    Plus, Ande is a freakin' killer cat to deal with. i don't have any of the big Japanese repros (yet) but I would be willing to bet these hold water with any one of em.

On top of that, if you're into that 'I have something no one else has' thing, Whall's got that for sure.

8. buttonman

buttonman Senior member

safe to assume that kmw's 1980's or IH 634s have a little more thigh room than pbj x005?
    these pbj's are really showing them thunder thighs...

9. onion

onion Senior member

safe to assume that kmw's 1980's or IH 634s have a little more thigh room than pbj x005? these pbj's are really showing them thunder thighs...
    If you want plenty of thigh room check out the KMW 1950.

10. Munchy

Munchy Active Member

I just went for a ride and got caught in some hardcore rain on the way home...

I got soaked pretty much head to toe, as well as my APC Rescues...

When I got home I was wiping some rocks and gravel off and the jeans were all sticky and my hands turned blue lol

I can understand some blue dye runoff but why are they sticky? Is that the sanforization?

All I know is that they're gonna smell pretty damn bad soon, so much sweat and dead insects on them lolz

(If this doesn't make sense, I ride a motorcycle)

11. buttonman

buttonman Senior member

If you want plenty of thigh room check out the KMW 1950.

no need for ample thigh room, just a smidge or more than what the pbj's have to offer and i'm good
    although i am considering the 1950's though for a more relaxed pair

12. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

It's called..."starch."

13. Jared

Jared Senior member

I got a pair of APC NSs a long time ago. I have been wearing them on weekends and they have finally developed a hole near the crotch. So it's time to get a new pair of jeans. I live in a small city in Canada, so I need to buy them online without trying them on. My style is Men's Clothing - Streetwear crossover, so I'm looking for something raw, straight-leg, and minimalist. I wear them cuffed about 25% of the time so selvedge is nice. Even when my NSs were brand new, the sizing was determined by my thighs and ass: they have never fit around the waist; therefore, I figure I could go for jeans with a slightly lower rise. Please recommend a pair of investment jeans.

14. onion

onion Senior member

I got a pair of APC NSs a long time ago. I have been wearing them on weekends and they have finally developed a hole near the crotch. So it's time to get a new pair of jeans. I live in a small city in Canada, so I need to buy them online without trying them on.

My style is Men's Clothing - Streetwear crossover, so I'm looking for something raw, straight-leg, and minimalist. I wear them cuffed about 25% of the time so selvedge is nice. Even when my NSs were brand new, the sizing was determined by my thighs and ass: they have never fit around the waist; therefore, I figure I could go for jeans with a slightly lower rise.

Please recommend a pair of investment jeans.

Well if you have big thighs and want a slim jean I'd recommend Kicking Mule 1950. Or if you want a real straight leg and slightly more room go for the 2010.

15. Tourangh

Tourangh Senior member

Ok got my KMW 1980 in 32X34 and they were way too tight for my liking( 6"3' 175lbs). From above the knee it was nearly skin tight or at least it seemed so. I am used to mall brand(Indigo Palms, Faconnable, Mavi, Levi) pre-washed bootcut jeans. If nobody thinks they will stretch to a more reasonable size(at least to me) I would get rid of them and get a roomier pair of jeans. Keep in mind this is my first pair of raws...

What I was looking at:
    RRDS
    Imperial king(Duke's seem too much like 1980)
    Flathead 380
    KMW 2010
    APC NS or Rescue

I was told that for my first pair of raw denim to not get a japanese brand since it is for more experienced buyers. There are a lot of Japanese jeans that catch my eye but I am trying to not get one for a first pair. And yup I know I have a flathead on the lsit.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to give them.