1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. jasonleb1

jasonleb1 Senior member

Anybody know where I can get a skinny/very slim jean in off white/cream like this? I'd like to keep it under $100, ~$75 would be ideal.

[​IMG]

2. Mr Nemo

Mr Nemo New Member

I am usually a 36 by 34 with thick thighs. jeans reccomendations please.

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Probably JCrew where you got the photo. On sale. Also Levis.
    More information required for any possible legitimate conversation.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  4. mellowllama

mellowllama Active Member

given a natural (no break) inseam of x inches, how much extra inseam should be added for stacking, and how much for a 2-inch cuff?

ie if I have a 30-inch inseam with no break, is 32 enough for stacking (no cuff), or should I use more? and then I assume add 2 inches more for a 2 inch cuff?

(I don't want anything too radical and I am not looking to impress anybody.)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  5. IYACDNB

IYACDNB Member

I'm looking to buy some selvage jeans but in a dark wash and a slim not too skinny fit. In other words, I want some selvage jeans that aren't raw. Does anybody know where I could find something like this? Preferably around 100 dollars.

6. Kazragore

Kazragore Member

I just grabbed a pair of 3sixteen st-100x and was wondering how much they stretch. I've read that they only stretch about .25" in the thigh, which is where I really need some stretching. The waist is just about perfect, but the thighs are pretty much skin tight. Can I expect them to stretch to a comfortable point or are these going to be meggings on my thighs forever? Size up or tough it out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, disregard the ridiculous cuffs and whatnot, they're obviously not hemmed and are therefore like half a foot too long

7. El Argentino

^^ They look fine, but all depends on feel. You and I look like we have similar physique, and I've just taken to sizing up and dealing with it.

8. Somar

Somar Senior member

Why not send this question to 3Sixteen? Usually all brands reply very fast!
    My opinion: Unless 3Sixteen tells you that they will NOT stretch in the thighs, I would say tough it out!

9. Somar

Somar Senior member

+ The fit is perfect! They flatter you.

10. leeba

leeba Senior member

Those look really tight in the thighs to me. Main thing for me would be comfort, so I guess that depends more on you along with what sort of look you're going for. It probably helps that the ST-100x don't have a suicide rise like some APC/N&F cuts though. Also (strong no bromo) but I'm guessing you squat a lot from your quads? If you plan on getting bigger I'd just size up otherwise you're just gonna have a pair of jeans that won't fit you in a month or two lol - that was my experience at least.

11. superego

superego Senior member

dude, they're basically brand new, and even for that don't look crazy fitted. I didn't leave the house wearing either my apcs or somets for about a week they were so snug. fit is awesome on both now, give it a minute.

12. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

The fabric on the 3Sixteens will get more pliable and thus more comfortable to wear when broken in. Cardboard stuff jeans always make you feel a cut is tighter than it's supposed to be. Give them some time.

13. cfrp

cfrp Well-Known Member

I've got a question... I currently wear slim fitting straight jeans.. I''d like to switch over the skinny jeans (like the N&F skinny guy).. For some reason whenever I try on skinny fit jeans I can't get the leg opening to go over my shoes like this
    [​IMG]

It seems like the leg opening isn't large enough to go over my shoe and it just sort of jams up ontop of my shoe... This is the same with boots or sneakers. Haven't tried dress shoes yet.. Am I retarded or what's going on.

14. Left Hand

Left Hand Senior member

I think those are boots.

15. El Argentino

Two things that might help. If you're wanting a true "skinny" pipe-leg look, then you don't want a tapered jean, per se. The model in that photo is 1) rail thin, and 2) not wearing tapered jeans. They look to go straight down from the knee or so; hence, how loose and rolled the fabric is along the calves. Many people on the boards mistake "skinny" for "as narrow as possible" and this isn't always the case. If your thighs are bigger, then a degree of taper can help narrow the silhouette. However, it can also go too far and have you in a carrot-fit type jean (think pudgy girls in leggings). That's not skinny - that's embarrassing.

Second, the model is probably wearing boots. ^^

16. plumcakk

plumcakk Member

Just copped my first pair of raw denim, united stock narrow 13.5 in deep indigo.
    Should I try to stay as far away from rain as possible?

17. mcdecker1

mcdecker1 Senior member

no - just live your life normally.

18. Fatlark

Fatlark Member

I'm 18 weigh 165 at 6'1". Over the past year I started working out and I have gained about one inch height. I also put on about 20 pounds while maintaining the same level of body fat, 11% give or take. My waist size has gone up about 2 inches. I plan to continue bulking up.

Right now, I'm looking to buy a pair of raw denim jeans and have decided on a pair of naked and famous weird guys. I've tried them on and fit perfectly in a 31 (out of the box, completely unstretched), but everything I've found online says that, I probably should be sizing down 1 or 2 to accommodate for stretching over time. This makes me want to go down and purchase a 30 and rough it out for the first week or two.

However, I would like to be able to wear these comfortably for a good year or two. I don't want to find that six months from now they will be tight again because I have grown.

What should I do (I can only buy one pair)?

19. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

I doubt you'll gain a ton of of waist size by lifting dude, especially since you're pretty skinny right now. You should be more concerned about your thighs than your waist. (I am assuming you squat. If not, squat.)

From what I hear, most of the waist stretching comes from sitting down, bending forward, etc. The waist doesn't just stretch itself out. Wise styleforum denim gurus say wearing a belt helps with this.

P.S. Arnold's waist in his prime was 34 inches. It aint a problem area if you're gaining mostly muscle.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  20. Fatlark

Fatlark Member

So I should still opt to size down one?