1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. matt1985

matt1985 Senior member

sorry for this stupid question. I recently bought a pair of APC ps and it's my first pair of raw denim jeans. i got some mud on my knee and cleaned it by dabbing at it with a damp tissue. I didnt go too crazy but noticed a little bit of the dye came off. will this leave a patch on the jeans now when they fade? Thanks guys.

2. transient

transient Senior member

It's gonna be fine. They're jeans.

3. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

4. FPPMan

FPPMan New Member

If you are 5'6 and fairly athletic, do you recommend skinny/slim jeans or a more relaxed fit? Which one would make you look a bit taller?

5. Deadkitty

Deadkitty Well-Known Member

Anyone have fade pics of acne ace cash jawnz? I'm thinking of copping but I wanna see what their fades look like. Also, how fast do they fade?

6. otacon

otacon Senior member

getting these in the mail soon from a black Friday sale:
    http://www.7forallmankind.com/The_S..._and_Coin_Pocket_Detail/pd/np/636/p/6933.html

I tried them on previously and they fit very well. Inseam won't be too short.

I was looking forward to wearing them raw. I figured they were sanforized, but I received an email saying they are not "preshrunk". I'm not actually sure the sales rep knew the possible difference, so I'll be checking the tag. I'm curious though if there are any horror pictures of people who didn't presoak their unsanforized and washed them later, and how it affected fade placement. I've read it really messes it up, but I'd like to see some pics.

7. Zassiliss

Zassiliss Senior member

So, I purchased my first pair of Naked & Famous Weird Guys in a size 30 about six months ago, and in the meantime have been hitting the gym pretty regularly. Problem is, my thighs and ass no longer fit in these jeans, but I tried on a pair of size 31's and the waist was a little loose for my taste.

I like a more tapered cut, so what do you guys recommend? Buy a 31 and size for thighs while tailoring the waist? Or trying a different brand altogether?

8. Tate Yoko staff

Tate Yoko staff Well-Known Member

Try a 31 in the SkinnyGuy Indigo Power Stretch. The stretch denim will give you more comfort in the thighs but the contour waistband will hug your waist better on this style.

9. otacon

otacon Senior member

Oh. Also: if they are unsanforized, what should it say on the care tag?

10. Zassiliss

Zassiliss Senior member

Thanks for the advice--because there's that elastane in the power stretch jeans, does that mean the denim won't "perma-stretch" out as much as regular denim, and should be fairly comfortable out of the box?

11. Panda Monium

Panda Monium Member

delete, double post

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  12. Panda Monium

Panda Monium Member

Another new guy here...I'm having trouble finding a good pair of jeans partly because there aren't stores around me that focus on "good" jeans (The Buckle's paper thin denim ain't cuttin' it) and partly because I'm a bigger guy.

* I have a linebacker build (6'1, 250), and a smaller waist than my thighs and ass would dictate.

*Shoes I'm wearing are Allen Edmond Aberdeen, and I rotate them with AE Long branch boots and a pair of Mark Nason boots. The jeans don't have to go with all 3.

What I'm looking for:
    * a company that makes a 38 that's not too baggy, but not something I'll bust out of if I squat to pick something up.

* If I can a selvedge pair that fits that criteria without having a mile long inseam, that'd be a welcome bonus.

* Preferably priced under $200, could go up to $250.

* Something durable. I won't be working heavy duty in them, but I don't want to invest hundreds in to a pair of jeans that can't take the wear and tear of being worn a few times a week for years.

Does anyone know any make/model that would fit the bill?

13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ Panda... in this price range APC is kinda the go-to, start-up denim.... raw, selvedge, etc..
    or perhaps Naked & Famous. At current sales prices you can get them pretty cheap (probably more like mid-low $100's). There may be sales on some of the better brand like PBJ, Samurai, Ironheart etc... check out Self Edge or Blue in Green SoHo websites as well. If I were you I'd do a little HW, talk to the SA over the phone about your sizing concerns (and have your measurements!) order multiple pairs and just return those you don't want or don't fit properly. It will take a little time and effort, but once you find a brand, cut and style that works for you it will be easier to find other brands later as you can base your sizing on the first pair. Just a quick FYI...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  14. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

IIRC san/unsan is not indicated on the tag per se as it is a characteristic of the denim... others may correct me.... I hope you REALLY got those on sale as the link you provided had those jeans at $250!! yikes... :uhoh:

15. yesssir

yesssir Senior member

If I have a pair of selvedge jeans tapered, Can a tailor do so without removing the selvedge line?

16. TooAwesome

TooAwesome Senior member

17. yesssir

yesssir Senior member

I'm assuming that's just the inside? Forgive my noobness to tapering denim.

18. Somar

Somar Senior member

Yes it is.

Inseam runs from the crotch to the them INSIDE of the leg!

Tapering from the inseam makes you keep the selvedge!

1 person likes this.
  19. microbrew

microbrew Active Member

Ok.. i've lurked for a long time now but im finally going to ask for some help in this thread..

I'm looking for advice on my first pair of nice jeans that will fit similar to a Levi 514 cut. I've never owned jeans that cost more than $50 and recently have only been wearing 514's in a size 31x32 (in dress slacks i'm more like 30x30, but i got them a little long for stacking and a tiny bit loose in the waist for room in the "box" area).

I'd like to keep it around $150 or under, but i'm always open to good deals and ultimately just want the most bang for my buck. Looking for something versatile in a not-too-dark indigo (unless they're black... dont own any black jeans).

If it matters i'm 5'8, 160 athletic build.

Thanks for any advice -- much appreciated.

20. notwithit

notwithit Senior member