I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

Yeah, my IHs don't look that wide in the back, but it is frustrating how many denim brands space their rear pockets so far apart. I've found that Flathead's pocket placement is ideal for those who wear their jeans at normal height, on the hips, and aren't going for the saggy-diaper look.

You calling me a fat ass? [​IMG] It doesn't help that I have a huge wallet and other crap in my pockets...makes them look bigger.

2. bach

bach Senior member

I bought some gap jeans about a month or 2 ago. Not much stretching has happened. Which ones did you get?
    idk, they say they are low rise straight leg jeans and they look "raw"/ "unwashed" to me. did you put starch on yours? would that stiffen the jean at all? here's a pic, (from WAYWT) [​IMG]

3. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Starching would help rigidity. Certain brands tend to stretch more than others but the general experience has been that mall brands tend to stretch minimally.

4. bach

bach Senior member

Starching would help rigidity. Certain brands tend to stretch more than others but the general experience has been that mall brands tend to stretch minimally.

although i find the usage of "mall brands" to be highly arrogant, THANK YOU.

5. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Sorry, I meant at your local Gap boutique atelier. [​IMG]

6. FiveFiveFive

FiveFiveFive Senior member

How much do Kicking Mules stretch? I'm normally a 32, but I got a pair of the 1980 raws today in size 31. I had to strain to button them up, and they're pretty damn tight as is. Are these a keeper, or would you recommend exchanging it for a 32? I heard KMW's aren't a pure raw, but a once-washed, so they don't stretch much at all.

7. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

Have you ever heard of sanforised jeans stretching less than raw ones?
    Me neither.
    They will stretch out.
    It's all good.

8. TJS1589

TJS1589 Senior member

9. modual

modual Senior member

Anyone know of anything that fits similar to apc ns ? I sized down 1 and like the looseish fit through the thigh and the way they naturally sit low on hips.

Anyone ??

10. eidolon

eidolon Senior member

Pre-shink: Yay or nay?

I'm looking at picking up some Levi's 514s and maybe the 501 in stonewash (this site seems to have pretty good prices, too), but I have no experience with this shrink to fit stuff Levi's has for 501s.

11. TxdoHawk

TxdoHawk Senior member

I want to go hit up Blue in Green on my next trip to NYC and finally grab some Japanese denim. Here's the thing: My waist, for all intents and purposes, is the annoying almost non-existent 35. 36 is too big on me in most cases, and unless it's a very relaxed fit 34 is too small. (It doesn't help that I am not at all into skinny jeans and / or jeans that sit extra low).

1. I was thinking of grabbing some Sugar Canes (probably 1947s) in 36, giving them a hot wash, and then (supposedly, based on what I've read shrinking-wise) they should be just about perfect, or worst case in need of a little waist stretching. Does this sound like a good idea?

2. To anybody that has been to the store, would it be a good idea to bring in a well-fitting pair of jeans to be measured by staff, or will they look at me like I have three heads?

12. adelphi

adelphi Senior member

Is it possible to shrink the fit of jeans without sacrificing the length?

13. Sigmatic

Sigmatic Senior member

1. I was thinking of grabbing some Sugar Canes (probably 1947s) in 36, giving them a hot wash, and then (supposedly, based on what I've read shrinking-wise) they should be just about perfect, or worst case in need of a little waist stretching. Does this sound like a good idea?

2. To anybody that has been to the store, would it be a good idea to bring in a well-fitting pair of jeans to be measured by staff, or will they look at me like I have three heads?

1. what i find helpful when trying on unsanforized jeans is to just try on a smaller size to get the fit pretty close, then size up 1 or 2 depending on the brand. I say pretty close because the shrinkage can alter the fit in sometimes unpredictable ways. The salespeople will be more than happy to help you. BTW, the waist is one of the the easiest places to stretch jeans since it will be under near-constant stress while wearing.

2. there is nothing wrong with doing this and nobody will make fun of your for it*. I don't work in retail, but if i did, people doing this would make my job a lot easier. Just wear those jeans into the store and say "i'm looking for a fit like these".

*assuming your jeans are not Rock & Republic or True Religion

14. velobran

velobran Senior member

I want to go hit up Blue in Green on my next trip to NYC and finally grab some Japanese denim. Here's the thing: My waist, for all intents and purposes, is the annoying almost non-existent 35. 36 is too big on me in most cases, and unless it's a very relaxed fit 34 is too small. (It doesn't help that I am not at all into skinny jeans and / or jeans that sit extra low).

If you mean your natural waist is a 35, then we have about the same size (or had the same size at one point very recently). I am sure you can find a pair that will fit your needs. Go for the smaller waist with a fuller cut and the waist will stretch. I think I am going w/ the 1947s for my next purchase too. I just can't figure out why BIG and SelfEdge's measurements are so different. Once I sort that out, I hope to purchase.

15. pokey07

pokey07 Senior member

What jeans are recommended for Pre-distressed denim? I'm looking for a pair of lighter colored jeans (preferably sub-$100?)