1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

Not interested in them... Just didn't know if they had been seen / discussed on the boards yet.
    I do find it an interesting offering from filson. Dunno who target market is.

2. whodini

whodini Senior member

I don't find it interesting as it seems a pretty late bandwagon entry. Target audience is pretty simple: the Filson buyer who has kinda heard about "raw" denim or knows nothing about it and will buy blindly based on label. That's a pretty niche market.

3. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Senior member

I just wouldn't think most of the population would pop for such an expensive jean...... regular Filson buyers or not. And denim heads wouldn't likely be interested in these either.

4. formz

formz Active Member

I'm 5'9" 215lbs with a small waist. Huge thighs. I got tapered jeans because if I didn't it would look like I'm wearing JNCO jeans on my lower half. I'll see if I can grab a fit pic of my new Somet jeans I got in BiG.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  5. deedni

deedni Member

I am looking to make the jump from Levi's to a nice pair of Raw Denim. I currently wear 514s which are a slim-straight cut, but are honestly starting to get rather uncomfortable as I grow more from weight lifting. I had a bigger butt to begin with and squats have kinda put me over the top.

Specifically, my waist is 33 inches while I measure 39 inches around my butt (measured just above pubic bone and around widest part of butt). I measure 22.5 inches mid-thigh and approximately 25.5 inches upper-thigh.

I do not want loose-fitting jeans and prefer a somewhat slimmer look; however, I'd like to keep the crotch cleavage to a minimum when sitting down. The problem with many jeans is that I require a large seat area and thus the legs are too big, especially below the knee. Consequently, a raw denim jean that could accomodate my measurements but tapers a fair amount would be ideal.

I have looked into Naked and Famous weird guy a bit which seems like a good option: http://www.nakedandfamousdenim.com/collection/men/weirdguy.html
    Any advice from those who are more well-versed in raw denim would be really appreciated. I would like to order online and thus comments on the sizing of any recommendations (i.e. true to fit, run large/small) would be wonderful. Thank you

6. deedni

deedni Member

Been doing some research to answer my own question and have narrowed down choices a bit (although other suggestions welcome).

It seems that: KMW 1950/2010, APC Rescues/New Standards, 5EP Straight Zip, and Nudie Straight Svens are commonly recommended.

Considering my measurements and want for a slimmer/tapered leg below the knee, do any of these stand out? Also, how should I size them up or down? Thanks.

7. whodini

whodini Senior member

You might want to look at the year those recommendations were given because they're fairly outdated. You also might want to look a little deeper because several of the models you listed don't taper, hence the word "straight" in the description.

No one needs your body measurements when you have a pair of jeans that you can use to compare to measurements of jeans online.

The kind of fit you're looking for is a carrot, or anti-fit model (you can google for pics.) To each their own but if you think your quads are bigger then wearing tapered jeans will only highlight that fact, and not necessarily in the best way. You don't need to buy a dads-jean model to get a bigger top block, you just want something with a longer rise; longer rises don't always mean wider hems, either.

Measure your 514s and compare them to a pair of Weird Guys and you'll get an idea if it'll work for you. Since sizing advice isn't universal, you need to narrow in on what you want first. Frankly, you're a little all over the place right now.

8. Biggquis

Biggquis Senior member

Just picked up a couple pairs of Levis STF. Does it matter if I wear them and soak in the tub, or simply soak them in the sink and hang to dry? I'm asking because I don't wanna be walking/sitting around the house with wet jeans on. Also, does hot or cold water matter? thanks for the input

9. deedni

deedni Member

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. I just measured my Levi 514s (I've had these jeans for 2+ years and washed tons of times):

Waist: 17"
    Rise: 10.5" (measured front of pants. back is more cause my big ol' butt stretched it)
    Hips: 22.5"
    Thigh (2 or so inches below crotch): 10.5"
    Knee: 8.5"
    Leg Opening: 8"

The pants fit perfectly fine around my waist (maybe a touch big) but are a bit snug around the upper/mid thigh area (i.e. before the knee). Below the knee they are pretty perfect.

By "taper", I simply meant that I didn't want the larger thigh/butt area to give way to a larger below-the-knee circumference. Does that make sense? I have a bigger butt and thighs due to squats but my calves are not that big.

I will continue searching, but perhaps you could guide me a bit in where to look based on these measurements? Again, I appreciate the help!

10. deedni

deedni Member

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question. I just measured my Levi 514s (I've had these jeans for 2+ years and washed tons of times):

Waist: 17"
    Crotch-leg: 12"
    Mid-Thigh (2 or so inches below crotch): 10.5"
    Knee: 8.5"
    Leg Opening: 8"

The pants fit perfectly fine around my waist (maybe a touch big) but are a bit snug around the upper/mid thigh area (i.e. before the knee). Below the knee they are pretty perfect.

By "taper", I simply meant that I didn't want the larger thigh/butt area to give way to a larger below-the-knee circumference. Does that make sense? I have a bigger butt and thighs due to squats but my calves are not that big.

I will continue searching, but perhaps you could guide me a bit in where to look based on these measurements? Again, I appreciate the help!

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

Soak and hang.

I know what you're describing, the problem is that in not knowing what's available you don't understand that there's a lot on the market to target in the fit you're looking for. Tapered jeans are meant to be slimmer from the knee down, but that doesn't mean that slim straight jeans (like your 514s) aren't just slim in general.

Did you google what I recommended? You probably don't want that but in essence that's what you're describing. But what you're looking for jeans that fit easier than your 514s but again with a lack of info you're not realizing that there's a lot between slim and baggy jeans.

What I suggested before was to measure your jeans, as you have, and compare them to other brands. All you have to do is google the model you're looking for.

12. deedni

deedni Member

Yes, I did in fact google what you recommended and compared the N&F jeans to my own measurements. I drew the conclusion that although they would fit decently well, I believe the rise is not large enough to accomodate my seat area.

I fully understand what you are saying and am not trying to be lazy here. I understand that there is a vast world of styles/brands/information beyond what I have gathered thus far.

I also understand that I can simply google any pair of pants and determine how they might fit - you are quite right. I was simply wondering if you might have some basic recommendations or guidelines to narrow my search, as you are drawing from a wealth of knowledge that I don't have...

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

14. groundkontrol

groundkontrol Well-Known Member

I'm planning to buy a pair of Unbranded jeans tomorrow. Apparently, all of their denim comes in size 34 length regardless of the waist size. I'm not a fan of stacking so I wanted to find out the best way to decrease the length? Will soaking work? And if so, how many inches are the jeans likely to shrink in length? Would it be better to hem? Anyone have experience doing either on of these with Unbranded? Thanks

15. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Just get them hemmed.

16. applky

applky Senior member

This is old news but as many of you know, Denim Therapy provides a great reweaving and repair service for all of your expensive denim -- priced for most jobs at $7 per inch, which is pretty reasonable. I put a hole in the inner thigh/crotch area of a pair of jeans and sent it to them for reweaving. It took 3 weeks instead of the quoted 2 weeks, which was fine. I was very happy with the results as you can see below.

EDIT: They were also able to reinforce the entire crotch area, as I asked them to, without the jean wearing differently at all. There is a slight change in outward appearance, but since it's in the crotch I doubt many will notice...

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall I'm pretty happy with their work! Would use them again. And since they're local to me, they were happy to have me come in and pick the jeans up. Definitely recommended.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  17. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

18. puddin

puddin Senior member

They don't use a patch, exactly, but they do use a piece of gauzy fabric on the inside to stitch to. That's invisible from the outside, so it seems like a good method to me. I've had repairs from there and Self Edge with the darning machine, and I'm don't really feel like one method is better than the other.

19. IronKnochs

IronKnochs Senior member

[​IMG]

Just scratched the obnoxious gull off my Evisus. Pretty pleased.

Some photos of my most beaten up jeans. Still wear them around the house because they're soft as shit:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.