• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by northnick
need advice on what type of jeans i should look into;

i wear citizens, joe's, and i have one pair of william rast. i am very picky and usually only like light dark washes with a slim fit / straight leg. i enjoy soft denim rather than thick. what should i check out next?

i am getting a pair of naked and famous for christmass and plan to add 2-3 more jeans to my collection. i've read and heard a lot of great things about naked and famous so.. i am excited to wear them for a month straight.

i haven't really bought a pair of r&f's & sevens since late last year. i don't like how they have changed. i always liked my rocks over my sevens but now, they have gone off my end and no longer find most of their style something i would wear. i have two vintage rock and republics (2006-2007).

are rock and republics and seven's pretty much dead? or am i still clueless?

You're not going to find much if any love for these brands here. You're on the right track with raw denim/Naked & Famous. Next, check out the selection of Japanese denim at Self Edge and Blue In Green. Or grab a pair of APC's or another pair of N&F if you are going cheaper. Go with raw denim and break them in/fade them yourself.

Depending on the cut you like there are also brands like Tellason and Raleigh, but most of the enthusiasm around here (including myself) is for Japanese brands. 3Sixteen is a great supplier of mid-range (price-wise) Japanese denim constructed here in the US.

maltess

Reaction score
Hi

What are exactly Triple Works Jeans? is that some different line of Iron Heart ar a company by their own? do they have the same level of quality?

best regards

Juujai

Reaction score
I'm having difficulty finding raw denim that will fit a true 28" waist. Can anyone make recommendations? other than apc new standard in a 26~ am I out of luck?

I like the look of pure blue japan and studio d'artisan but they start at 28~. Boot cuts, 501 style or flared bottoms are fine with me!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Juujai
I'm having difficulty finding raw denim that will fit a true 28" waist. Can anyone make recommendations? other than apc new standard in a 26~ am I out of luck? I like the look of pure blue japan and studio d'artisan but they start at 28~. Boot cuts, 501 style or flared bottoms are fine with me!
somet makes a 26 (28" waist) and skull makes a 27 in a couple of there cuts that measure 28." you might wanna try the samurai geisha.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maltess
Hi

What are exactly Triple Works Jeans? is that some different line of Iron Heart ar a company by their own? do they have the same level of quality?

best regards

best regards.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody washed raw denim multiple times to get a lighter color? Would they still stretch and crease the same way raw denim normally does? I'd like a lighter pair that still creases/molds the way that raw denim does. (saw the thread, but figured i'd ask here on how to wash)
Thanks!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Has anybody washed raw denim multiple times to get a lighter color? Would they still stretch and crease the same way raw denim normally does? I'd like a lighter pair that still creases/molds the way that raw denim does. (saw the thread, but figured i'd ask here on how to wash) Thanks!
hey novel, i wouldnt recommend this. raw denim will tend to hold its color so you might be washing those jeans for months to get them where you want, if that makes sense. if your after a lighter color denim, pbj, somet, n&f, left field, etc. make a lighter color denim. if your after something a little less expensive but still good quality, earnest sewn makes a couple as well.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody washed raw denim multiple times to get a lighter color? Would they still stretch and crease the same way raw denim normally does? I'd like a lighter pair that still creases/molds the way that raw denim does. (saw the thread, but figured i'd ask here on how to wash) Thanks!
Had seen these a while ago, and just remembered they were still available.
pLEVI1-6100271t500x607.jpg
Found here - http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...89705.10889707 Pretty sure that would behave as raw denim would, molding, fading, etc. And 40 bucks isn't bad either.

Blackmaged

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's gonna happen if I leave my denim like this and don't get this repaired? It looks minor to me but if it makes em structurally unsound then I guess I have no choice..
5267753486_20cabd032d.jpg
(the loose stitching on the yoke)

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
that happens to all of us black, although ive never had a pair that has done that in that area. what jeans are those?

if you tug on that area does it flex? has the thread come undone on the inside? if so you will need to take them in before to long. i use htc/dd but i would think any good tailor with some good machines can take care of that w/o to much trouble.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
Hi

best regards

Same production and lead designer. You're looking at 13 to 15 oz debim iron hear is the brand which they exclusively release heavy deniim. Tw denim weave is amazing. Imo 5310 cut is a very nice cut if u like slim and fitted

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jesse10
I have thick thighs but I like fitted denim. I hate levi's 514 because the thigh and waist area is way too tight and the knee down is not tight enough. I hate levi's 511 because everything is too tight everywhere and If I size up enough to wear the legs fit nice, the waist and thighs are too roomy. I've had slim jims that were like 514 fitting to me. APC NS was too tight on the thighs unless I sized up. APC NC was too tight everywhere as was Dior mij 19cm. I have tried multiple sizes and it seems like I can never find the right balance of upper thigh fit and lower leg taper. Has anybody experienced/solved this issue? I am looking to explore Edwin SEN skinny fit denim next..
I've had this problem before. The only way I was able to solve it was to start looking at looser cuts.
Originally Posted by borderline
21 oz denim sounds seriously thick. Levis are what, 12 or 14 oz?
Although it is thicker, the Iron Heart 21 oz. denim breathes really well and is surprisingly comfortable for its weight. It is relatively soft and not slubby at all. It is also surprisingly wearable, I live in Southern California and have been able to wear it 10 months out of the year. The other 2 months, it was too hot for any denim, IMO, I wore shorts.
Originally Posted by bryce126
I think as it was said, just to give a better idea of what my physique is like. (btw i never juiced). I've tried looking around but can't find the jeans youre talking about...is it possible to give me links to research? thanks very much!
All of the jeans that he recommended to you are available from blueingreensoho.com
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
Has anyone hot tumble dried sanforized denim? I bought a pair a bit too large for me and I'd like to shrink them down. (In this case they are N&F X Momotaro) I know this is dangerous business, but I'm a bit more concerned about my fit than anything right now. Fact is they are hemmed and I've worn them for at least a week, so I'd rather not pawn them off for half the price - or less, and buy another pair. Obviously this will adversely effect my sick fadez, any input on that is welcome as well. Does/can sanforized denim shrink on hot tumble dry more so than a hot soak would? Thanks
I've never tumble dried dry denim, but if you hot wash the jeans and then tumble dry them, they'll shrink more than they would if you hot soaked them. If the denim is sanforized, though, you still won't get a whole lot of shrinkage except maybe in the inseam, plus they'll stretch back out to where they are now pretty fast.
Hi What are exactly Triple Works Jeans? is that some different line of Iron Heart ar a company by their own? do they have the same level of quality? best regards
To my understanding, Triple Works is owned by the same guy who owns Iron Heart, but it's a separate company. They have different cuts, different denim, slightly lower pricing, and completely different distribution than IH.
I've done it before, but it takes a lot of washes to lighten the color significantly, and every time you wash, the denim gets softer. So, it definitely won't crease or mold the way raw denim does if you do that.

Jorran

Reaction score
What about white jeans? Yes or no?

69R15BLST_large.jpg

I'm thinking about buying these, as it won't be a big issue if they don't look right since they're just 40 pounds. But do you guys own a pair?

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those aren't white... But I think in some cases they can work out pretty good. And a must in the summer. Though I prefer linnen in that time of the year.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mistral
Those aren't white... But I think in some cases they can work out pretty good. And a must in the summer. Though I prefer linnen in that time of the year.

I think white denim in the summer would work out well - especially because it's usually way lighter than not in weight.

I've been hardpressed to find linen pants in the summer that aren't extremely baggy - "relaxed" as they tend to be marketed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads