1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Senior member

I&W seems like the kind of brand that would be good with customer support with questions like that considering how little is talked about them here.

Not much at all since it's sanforized.

2. cameronelliotbraun

cameronelliotbraun Member

I have a pair of Naked & Famous Weirdguy size 28 for sale along with A.P.C. Petite Standard size 28. Message for details

3. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

5. theecaptain

theecaptain Well-Known Member

Great thank you. Any special considerations with the rigid denim or just wear and wash when necessary?

6. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

will do, thank you.

7. Jay687

Jay687 Senior member

I know it's probably not recommended... but what is the best way to take in the waist of jeans without throwing off the look (i.e. darting the jeans)?

I always have 2 options when buying jeans and pants.

1. Buy a slimmer fit with a slightly bigger waist to fit better on my thighs (side effect of being short means that my thighs are generally proportionally larger than my waist than most taller folks. It's also a side effect of lifting, biking, hiking, and running...).

2. Buy a looser fit that fits both and taper the leg.

I bought some stuff using option 1 thinking the 1" extra on my waist wouldn't be a huge deal. Unfortunately, it somewhat is. The extra waist material cinches if I wear a belt and while my pants don't fall off my hips entirely or anything, I think 1" less on my waist would be far better.

What's the best way to get a tailor to do this? I don't want to go moving the front button or hole over or something. That'd be odd. I also don't want darts... but is there any way to avoid them? Additionally, I'm thinking that taking the waist in at the sides would be more balance than taking it from the back.

Has anyone done this with success? If so, let me know what your tailor did. There is a pretty good tailor in my area, so I'm thinking they would be able to handle a difficult project. Though if it's super expensive, it might not be worth it I guess.

Damn it... jeans are definitely not designed for bigger thighs.

8. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

same problem here. even most of the "straight leg" jeans I try on are ready to burst if I have to squat down to pick something up. I've got the right amount of muscle for someone my size, its just all concentrated between the knee and the hip....

9. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

okay, so final denim question since this is probably the only pair of jeans I'll be buying in the next two years...

naked and famous or uniqlo?

10. Kross

Kross Senior member

I need to help my friend buy a new pair of denim for around 100. He's you're typical super skinny short asian guy. What would you guys recommend.

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

I don't wash my denim jackets. If anything, ever, I'd dry clean.

What cuts are you looking at specifically? Of all the jeans recommended here I can't imagine you have some kind of body type that wouldn't be accommodated.

If your body type really is that odd or you're just super anal about the fit, then you can go custom or send them to a denim repair shop that would know how to deconstruct the waist and bring in the yoke.
    How can you say this and follow it up with the question below? You might want to look into fits before you start looking into brands...

The guy above you is in the same boat price-wise and a page or two earlier several ideas were given.

1 person likes this.
  12. Ecco

Ecco Senior member

Does anyone know a place that does chain stitch hemming in the DC metro area or inexpensively by mail?

13. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

Of the two brands, I think Naked & Famous makes better stuff, but the way you describe your thighs, the only cut of theirs that you are likely to fit into is the Regular Guy, maybe the Slim Guy. Everything else by them will probably be too tight in the thighs for you if you want the waist to fit.

People with big thighs generally don't look good in slim jeans, that's what looser cuts are for.

The going rate for a chainstitch hem is about $25 per pair of jeans. I know that Denim Doctors accepts mail-in hemming orders for $25 plus the cost of shipping. Blue in Green is another option, they do it for $30 plus the cost of shipping.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Paging whodini and denim experts. I want to get this pair of raw Warehouse jeans on the BiG site.

The measurements on the size 30 would work perfectly on me. But these are raw jeans and will shrink after I wash them for the first time. In the past, I've always gotten one-wash jeans.

What size I should size up to in order to get approximately the following measurements after the first wash? W 32 to 33, leg opening 8.5.

The site says to expect to 6-8% of shrinkage. Does this mean I should go for the pair with the 35.5 inch waist? (35.5 * 0.92 = ~33.6'')

How big of a leg opening would I end up with?

I understand that this thing isn't an exact science, but would appreciate some pointers.

[​IMG]

15. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

I was under the impression that fits varied so much by brand that there was no point, and I don't know of anywhere local where I can try on Naked and famous (uniqlo there probably is).
    I have bought denim maybe three times in my adult life. I've never been big on jeans unless I'm working outdoors, and then its carharts.

So I think the pair I'm looking at is the regular guy. I'll probably just do what I do with everything else then, buy it and get them shortened and the bottom half of the leg tapered to where I like the fit.

Thank you both for the info.

16. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Is there any consensus on sizing for this year's Wings + Horns slim fit raw jeans? True-to-size or down one?

17. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Pulled the trigger on those Naked and Famous. Got them with a 34" inseam so I can try out this cuff thing everyone on here seems to love so much.

18. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

[​IMG]

19. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

20. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Nevermind, found it in the W+H thread. Sounds like TTS is a safer choice.