I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Mushroom77

Mushroom77 Senior member

2. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

If I've come to the conclusion that Acne Mic Raws are pretty much my perfect pair of jeans, are there any other similar options for the sake of variety? Or should I just keep buying these for the rest of my life?
    Re-posing earlier question.

3. aleister

aleister New Member

514s are my favorite cut from Levi's and if I could find something similar from another "brand", I'd love to know as well. I'm no help to you as I have a 30" inseam. I want something black or really dark blue, neither of which appears to be in the 514 line-up. I suppose if I waxed a pair, it'd get nice and shiny-dark...

Well the 514's I bought are very very dark blue.. almost black. They are 'tumbled rigid' 514's from Macys. Sounds like what you are looking for [​IMG]

4. fuego!

fuego! Well-Known Member

So I have decided I want to try out some nudies. I will probably just get the basic raw cuts or maybe dry japan depending on what cut I do decide on getting.

Pretty much I am unsure on what cut to get. Thin Finn, Grim Tim, or Slim Jim. I have researched them all but am not sure.

I am not huge but not really tiny either at 6'2, 175ish 33/34. New standards sized down two fit me excellent but I find a 514 cut from Levi's in my right waist a bit too loose in the legs for me and I likes me some leg taper.

Will I look retarded squeezing my big ass into a pair of thin finns? Slim jim unflattering? Grim Tim is what I am looking at but am still not sure if that perhaps it may be a bit too tight?

Help me out o experts.

5. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

6. shoreboy

shoreboy Member

OK so i measured a trusty pair of jeans using the method on blueingreensoho.com and got the following:

waist: 33"
    Front rise: 11.5"
    back rise: 14
    thigh: 12"
    inseam: 32

I'm also 6ft, 187lbs, athletic build

A raw pair with similar measurements would be ideal but so far a lot of the jeans i've seen online have long inseams, why is this? i don't want heaps of stacking and don't like cuffing. Is it ok to get them hemmed straight away?

7. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

A raw pair with similar measurements would be ideal but so far a lot of the jeans i've seen online have long inseams, why is this? i don't want heaps of stacking and don't like cuffing. Is it ok to get them hemmed straight away?

Because they only come in one length, so it makes more sense for it to be long as opposed to short. Its easy to take away, impossible to add...

And no, there's no problem with getting them hemmed straight away. If they are unsanforized, make sure you take shrinking into consideration though.

8. shoreboy

shoreboy Member

9. herzzreh

herzzreh Senior member

I need to stretch my PBJs at the waist. Best way to do it?

10. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

I need to stretch my PBJs at the waist. Best way to do it?

They should stretch easiest when wet. Otherwise, just wear them. Try and fit them as low on the hips as you can, and just give it time. You can even sleep in them :p

11. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Going to the beach this weekend. Thinking about doing a saltwater wash with my organic slim jims- jumping in to the ocean while wearing my jeans.

I think I first saw this recommended on the Nudie website as a way to get really unique fades.

Has anyone done this in real life? Am I truly hopeless nerd for wanting to do this?

12. onion

onion Senior member

Going to the beach this weekend. Thinking about doing a saltwater wash with my organic slim jims- jumping in to the ocean while wearing my jeans. I think I first saw this recommended on the Nudie website as a way to get really unique fades. Has anyone done this in real life? Am I truly hopeless nerd for wanting to do this?
    Pretty sure that's what A.P.C. came up with. Personally I don't see how it could clean the jeans. I mean ocean water is already disgusting and you aren't using any type of detergent. If anything it seems this would only make them dirtier than before. I would opt for a cold soak honestly, though I've never tried an ocean soak.

13. Nouveau Pauvre

I think the point of doing the saltwater soak is to make it dirtier. I am not trying to wash them, I am trying to get an interesting effect.

I think sand and salt act as a sort of exfoliant? breaking down and softening the denim.

14. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Don't waste your time. I've never seen good results from the salt water wash. That said, its not like something terrible will happen either. Its just kind of silly and useless.

15. Nouveau Pauvre

I'm down with silly and useless. That's how I view a decent amount of my style-related activities, but still enjoy them.

Do you think it might render them unwearable or something though?