1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Senior member

okay so quick question. i usually don't wear tight jeans however i want sicker fades and i heard that you get better whisker fades with right jeans.

if i were to size down 2 (so is that a 30-> 28? or 30-> 26 >__>)on some APC NS and wear them for about a year then washed them, would they fit similar to a size 30?

size 28.

2. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

okay so quick question. i usually don't wear tight jeans however i want sicker fades and i heard that you get better whisker fades with right jeans.

if i were to size down 2 (so is that a 30-> 28? or 30-> 26 >__>)on some APC NS and wear them for about a year then washed them, would they fit similar to a size 30?

Whiskers on extremely tight jeans look stupid, sometimes they come out like perfectly horizontal. Stick to what fits, and if you want a better fade, buy better denim.

3. tzKid

tzKid New Member

ah it seems like my 300 dollars shrunk to 180 after lending some money..sigh. are there any decent jeans for about 150? (30 will be for the shipping and all). I don't think im going to be receiving any money for a while so if i were to wait for a better pair of jeans it would take a while. [​IMG] edit// and do non selvedge jeans fade as well? the whole reason why i wanted a new pair of jeans was to be able to enjoy the progressing fades on the them :/

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

ah it seems like my 300 dollars shrunk to 180 after lending some money..sigh.

are there any decent jeans for about 150? (30 will be for the shipping and all). I don't think im going to be receiving any money for a while so if i were to wait for a better pair of jeans it would take a while. [​IMG]

edit// and do non selvedge jeans fade as well? the whole reason why i wanted a new pair of jeans was to be able to enjoy the progressing fades on the them :/

Selvage has nothing to do with fading. Just get APCs, they're perfectly fine for what you're trying to accomplish.

5. butchhuskey

butchhuskey Active Member

I bought a pair of APC NS's and they've stretched out a bit but for some reason I'm getting a bit more stretch in the knee areas. At times it looks as if I'm wearing knee pads under my jeans. Any thoughts?

6. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

I bought a pair of APC NS's and they've stretched out a bit but for some reason I'm getting a bit more stretch in the knee areas. At times it looks as if I'm wearing knee pads under my jeans. Any thoughts?

Knee boobs! Any pair of jeans will get these if you wear them long enough without washing. APCs, as they seem to stretch a bit more than most, are probably a little worse than others in this regard. I wouldn't worry about it, though. As you keep wearing them, and the jeans soften up, it will be less noticeable.

7. hookhook

hookhook Well-Known Member

Anyone know the sizing of Rogan vs ES?

8. whacked

whacked Senior member

Anyone know the sizing of Rogan vs ES?

The Rogans I have tried on all run true to size.

9. butchhuskey

butchhuskey Active Member

Knee boobs! Any pair of jeans will get these if you wear them long enough without washing. APCs, as they seem to stretch a bit more than most, are probably a little worse than others in this regard. I wouldn't worry about it, though. As you keep wearing them, and the jeans soften up, it will be less noticeable.

What a great term! Knee boobs! Yeah, I'm at least a B in the knee right now, I guess the bottom isn't stretching enough while the knee needs a bra at this point. Thanks for the reply, I was developing a complex over how I look like I'm wearing catching gear beneath my denim.

10. dusty

dusty Senior member

I need new jeans. My RB11s are perfect in every way (cut, color, stiffness, fade-resistance, minimal aesthetic) but I don't want another pair of the same denim. They can be raw or rinse. Suggestions?

No APCs, I have those and hate them.

11. spacemanvt

spacemanvt Senior member

i got serious knee boobs on my apc new standards after about 3 months of wear.

12. HATORI HANZO

HATORI HANZO Senior member

i got serious knee boobs on my apc new standards after about 3 months of wear.

I did too. I felt mine up a little bit, but don't tell anybody.[​IMG]

13. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

looking for raw denim similar to uniqlo regular fit bootcuts. they fit just right in the thigh/waist and these have a fairly small bootcut -- i hate large bootcut bottoms. . it would also be helpful if you knew whether i should size up/down from my uniqlo size in your recommendation. much thanks.

14. whodini

whodini Senior member

looking for raw denim similar to uniqlo regular fit bootcuts. they fit just right in the thigh/waist and these have a fairly small bootcut -- i hate large bootcut bottoms. . it would also be helpful if you knew whether i should size up/down from my uniqlo size in your recommendation. much thanks.
    It sounds like you want something like a Bootcut Ola by Nudie. There are also a few Japanese repro companies (John Bull, for example) that do bootcuts as well. Knowing what your size is and perhaps measurements of these uniqlos might help narrow down your search a bit and help us out a lot with a better recommendation.

15. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

I'm not sure where to locate 5EP's, and the few places I've found sell limited sizes for >$250. I may be missing something?

Does it make any sense to buy washed nudies? especially in bootcut? (by bootcut, I mean no taper, and only subtle widening into the ankle). Perhaps Ernest Sewn would fit the bill? The Matthew Izzo shop is in my backyard so maybe I'll check out some ideas tomorrow.

AFAIK there is no brick & mortar store in Center City that sells 5EPs. Matthew Izzo is good for Nudies, I bought two pairs there.

Personally I mail-order my 5EPs or drop by Denimbar whenever I am in DC (Arlington).

16. onion

onion Senior member

It sounds like you want something like a Bootcut Ola by Nudie. There are also a few Japanese repro companies (John Bull, for example) that do bootcuts as well.

So from the looks of it, I take the Ola is a boot cut that is in between 5epLDB and Nudie Ralf? Or is the 5ep LDB the same or larger in the leg opening?

17. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

also, the bootcut ola will fade horribly since the denim is pretty bad

18. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

So from the looks of it, I take the Ola is a boot cut that is in between 5epLDB and Nudie Ralf? Or is the 5ep LDB the same or larger in the leg opening?

It's about the same as the LDB in terms of the bootcut. It's much more subtle than the Ralf. My BOLA are one of my favorite pairs of jeans ever. The denim is very soft and comfortable, but won't fade like the dry selvage nudies. They will stay dark for awhile but develop nice streakiness.

19. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

I read some of the sizing posts regarding Samurai S5000VXs in this thread already...but am wondering if anyone has insight on how much the S5000VX will stretch in the thigh?

I have a semi used pair in a 30 waist...the waist is pretty much perfect, below the knee is perfect...but the thigh feels pretty tight. Its not skin tight as I can grab fabric, but they feel noticeably tight when walking around.

I'm guessing that maybe I am a 31 in these, but am hoping I can break them in. Any ideas how they'll wear?

Thanks

[​IMG]

20. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

is that true? i don't mind paying up for something good. this is going to be my "kickass" pair of jeans. in which case, maybe i should skip the bootcut? but i digress. i wear a 34 in the uniqlos, and that's my natural waist size. i also have some muscle to my thighs. thanks guys.

also, the bootcut ola will fade horribly since the denim is pretty bad